Boatmad.com

Closed Thread

Old 26-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #561

Interests: Time Trialling
Boat name: Manx Cat
Cruising area: From Shoreham

Hi Jim,
Thank you for posting your thoughts & memories from the race it was very interesting - picking out the bits I was not aware from.

My recollection as a small boy of 8 yrs - so probably somewhat slanted - were the boat prior to the race being in Shoreham nr Watercraft for some hull /wood work by a guy called Brian, remember going into a shed. Then being at Putney for the launch. With my Mum we saw the boats go under Tower bridge, we then went to Southampton for a prize giving.

During the race we tracked progress with a large map and stuck the race positions on and probably some cuttings.

We then all, Grandparents, my mum & sister to see the finish at M.C. I recall the finish, getting a short ride in the boat with Ralph H driving following the finish - then waking up the following day with a huge array of prizes in the room. Finally a lap round what would be the GP circuit standing out of the sunroof in rented Renault 9.

Kind regards
Laurence

Old 26-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #562

Wow Lawrence what fantastic memories. Must have been amazing as an 8 year old to experience that.

Old 26-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Jim.

Carr hasn't got Ray Mac's old Outsider (Italian ally Isotta/Cougar), I think he has the ally 'Maggie's Mercruiser Special' of the late Columbian George Morales.
Thanks Jon so the photos on the Venture Site is wrong then.???

Do you know how to put the my 2 stories from here on to the Venture Site I have tried transfer them but no joy.
Old 26-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #564

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenZo View Post
Hi Jim,
Thank you for posting your thoughts & memories from the race it was very interesting - picking out the bits I was not aware from.

My recollection as a small boy of 8 yrs - so probably somewhat slanted - were the boat prior to the race being in Shoreham nr Watercraft for some hull /wood work by a guy called Brian, remember going into a shed. Then being at Putney for the launch. With my Mum we saw the boats go under Tower bridge, we then went to Southampton for a prize giving.

During the race we tracked progress with a large map and stuck the race positions on and probably some cuttings.

We then all, Grandparents, my mum & sister to see the finish at M.C. I recall the finish, getting a short ride in the boat with Ralph H driving following the finish - then waking up the following day with a huge array of prizes in the room. Finally a lap round what would be the GP circuit standing out of the sunroof in rented Renault 9.

Kind regards
Laurence
Thanks Laurence, I do remember you well as young lad, there was always a lot of woodwork going on with the boat, bits of wood would just fall off.
Jimmy
Old 27-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #565

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brooker View Post
Thanks Jon so the photos on the Venture Site is wrong then.???

Do you know how to put the my 2 stories from here on to the Venture Site I have tried transfer them but no joy.
I will talk to Aidan to see if they can be put somewhere on the site Jim.

As regards making the race the most memorable ever Richard, in the words of Winston Churchill, all we can offer you are "Blood, Sweat, Toil & Tears" and there's plenty of all that going on I can tell you!

Just got back from Brest and two heavy meetings with the French Navy and the Town Council. Taken down under ground in Brest Castle to a very large meeting room to meet some impressive high ranking Navy Types! Looked at the screen on the wall and could see that they had been doing their homework on us, very impressed! Brest is a VERY large Navy port easily as big as Portsmouth but one additon is that they have Nuclear Submarines there! Told me that if we try to take any photos of Brest from the chopper they will have to shoot us down! Much laughter (nervous)! So, with all of that going on we are having to finish & start the race about five miles out, much the same as at Edingurgh in RB2008. Also have a very large environmental area to go round (more miles) before we get there but all will be explained at the November briefing. The French will be watching us approach on their coastal radar all the way from half way across the English Channel to Brest so race teams you behave otherewise you will end up in clink in Brest! They are actually very nice guys but not to be messed with obviously!
ML.
Old 27-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
I will talk to Aidan to see if they can be put somewhere on the site Jim.

As regards making the race the most memorable ever Richard, in the words of Winston Churchill, all we can offer you are "Blood, Sweat, Toil & Tears" and there's plenty of all that going on I can tell you!

Just got back from Brest and two heavy meetings with the French Navy and the Town Council. Taken down under ground in Brest Castle to a very large meeting room to meet some impressive high ranking Navy Types! Looked at the screen on the wall and could see that they had been doing their homework on us, very impressed! Brest is a VERY large Navy port easily as big as Portsmouth but one additon is that they have Nuclear Submarines there! Told me that if we try to take any photos of Brest from the chopper they will have to shoot us down! Much laughter (nervous)! So, with all of that going on we are having to finish & start the race about five miles out, much the same as at Edingurgh in RB2008. Also have a very large environmental area to go round (more miles) before we get there but all will be explained at the November briefing. The French will be watching us approach on their coastal radar all the way from half way across the English Channel to Brest so race teams you behave otherewise you will end up in clink in Brest! They are actually very nice guys but not to be messed with obviously!
ML.
That made me laugh. Blade Run2006 when in France we filled the boats up from petrol bought by the organisers supplied in 50 gallon barrels bought from the local garage with the totties on the pontoon smoking fags and the local navy looking on
Old 29-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #567

Our first turn point after crossing the channel is going to be east of Alderney and then heading past the western coast of Guernsey heading for Brest.

Can someone save me some time by letting me know who we should talk to in Alderney as we need to show courtesy and let them know that there are going to be a number or pretty quick boats passing by on the 8th of June next year.

Perhaps the same should apply to whoever we should be talking to in Guernsey. Any help deeply appreciated.

By the way, the only way anyone is going to get into our November Briefing is going to be by invitation only - being sent out shortly - due to us wanting to keep this important meeting tight and shortage of space. If you don't get an invitation don't come, you won't be allowed in - sorry!
ML.
Old 29-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #568

Interests: Heavy Heavy Metal
Boat name: Slayer II, Slayer, Pen15
Boat make: Phantom 19G-R, Bernico F2 Extreme, Ring 15
Engines: Evinrude 115HO, Yam 90
Cruising area: Channel Islands

So Alderney is effectively a massive turn buoy? Awesome!!! Will have to head out and watch!

Guernsey's harbour master is Captain Peter Gill, pretty sure he'll be the one to speak to about Alderney too

Harbour Master's Office
P.O. Box 631
St Julians Emplacement,
St Peter Port,
Guernsey,
Channel Islands. GY1 3DL

Email guernsey.harbour@gov.gg
tel 01481 720 229
Old 31-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #569

How many entrants do you have currently Mike ?

Looks fantastic - can't wait to see the start in June.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #570

We had 42 up until Tuesday when one of our Greek friends had to drop out although he says that if things turn round for him he will be back. Several have said that. Things ain't too good in Greece apparently and no it wasn't Vassilis of Blue FPT. He is still in and says he is going to win AGAIN. His capitals not mine but good to see and hear!

So we are on 41 right now which we are grateful for of course but my ego - which everyone knows is huge - wants 50. Wanted to beat the number over the line from the RB08 which was 47 in case anyone has forgotten!

Still might lose a couple more as it is crunch time for the next entry fee stage payment but we have four who are still sniffing. We can but hope.

The Race is looking real good now, every single Venue/City - all 11 of them - can't count Cowes, they don't get excited about anything - excited about seeing this great fleet coming (the Venues liked it when I told them that they will be able to hear some of the boats coming from 5/6 miles out) and of course the revenue they are going to bring. We have conservatively estimated that some 300/400 people will be following the fleet by road to every venue. Looks like 14 trucks and the remainder with Range Rover type vehicles and their trailers. The French/Spanish and Portuguese Police are going to love us but we are working on that little problem!

There are still one or two fly's in the ointment but we should be able to slap those within the next few weeks, that's if my temper holds, which is getting shorter by the month so my wife tells me!
ML.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #571
Steve

Interests: Powerboat Enthusiast
Boat name: Orashi
Boat make: Shetland 21
Engines: 55
Cruising area: Solent

http://www.raceboatinternational.com/index.php?id=739

Wow , WHAT HAS HAPPENED??
Old 07-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #572

What David Sewell has written in Raceboat International is not as we announced it to the Race Teams but I suppose a bit of conjecture doesn't hurt. We had decided to write a personal email to every race team first telling them the real story before announcing it to the world which is only right. The race teams make this race happen, no one else does so it was only common courtesy to let them know first.

A general release version will go out here and on our web blog later this evening. I have to say though that we have had an overwhelming number of emails throughout the day from many of the CMC race teams all being very supportive and still backing the race 100%. Very heartening.

We still have a shed load of work to do to get the teams to the start line and we will have great news to announce very shortly which will soften the blow of losing Monaco.

ML.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #573

THE VENTURE CUP - COWES TO MONTE-CARLO POWERBOAT CHALLENGE
UPDATE ON THE FINISHING ARRANGEMENTS

After more than a year of meetings and communication, we have just been advised by the Government in Monaco that, due to other events now taking place over the weekend of 22/23 June, the Venture Cup Powerboat Challenge cannot finish in Monaco.

“We are obviously extremely disappointed by this news,” commented Race Director Mike Lloyd. “We have promised the racing fleet a great event and are determined to get them to the French Riviera, so we will now be stopping as close to Monaco as possible either before or after”.

“The organising team is now working very hard, looking at alternative venues, and we plan to announce the revised arrangements at the next competitors’ briefing meeting at the end of this month where this will be discussed in greater detail with the Race Teams”.

Old 13-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #574

Stuffed...................
Old 13-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #575

Reminds me so much of 2008 when the entry fees went up up and away

So simply Monaco thought 50 boat team with big wallets.

And reallity has finally set in......
Old 15-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #576

NOTICE TO TEAMS: Important email just sent out. This went solely to all team principals so please check within your team if you haven't received it directly yourself.

ML.
Old 16-11-2012, 02:39 AM   #577

Two pieces of great news for the race teams;

Final venue now arranged for the fleet and for what is going to be a mega prize giving party - and it's going to be fabulous, full details at the briefing.

Also, we're delighted to announce that a full 'Outerlimits' works team has just joined the race. Further details and images to follow.

ML.
Old 16-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #578

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
[SIZE="2"]Two pieces of great news for the race teams;

Final venue now arranged for the fleet and for what is going to be a mega prize giving party - and it's going to be fabulous, full details at the briefing.
So fans of the sport are not allowed to know where the boats will be finishing? Fabulous.
Old 16-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #579

Hi Ciao - fans of the sport will know more about this race than any previously ....before, during and after the event. We're doing a ton of work in this area.

We have a team briefing in 8 days where we'll be announcing a lot of detailed information and it's only correct and fair that those involved with the race, and taking part in it, receive the news first. After the 24th we will of course be publicly announcing much of this detail.
Old 16-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #580

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

i agree,only want to know where the finish is,all the nitty gritty stuff you can keep till later

Closed Thread