Boatmad.com

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #621

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Can anyone have an opinion.

Or does it now mean that if someone organises a race then every competitor, past competitor or spectator has to shut the mouth.

What I have found in business is if you listen to people then you pick the bones out of what they have to say and ocasionally things may improve.

So you were lucky in RB8 others wern't and this race is half as long again. logistley teams will need 2 support crews due to the increased distances.
Oh hang on I'm moaning
Yes, Barry. You are always moaning. And no. Luck has very little to do with the results in these races. Preparation is the key.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Oikari View Post
Yes, Barry. You are always moaning. And no. Luck has very little to do with the results in these races. Preparation is the key.
Your right preparation is key

Just ask FB, MH and HB who competed in RB8 they obviously never prepared properly

PM me if you don't know who i'm talking about

Oh and I bought a hull gave it to boat builders 12 months before the race to rig bought all new engines, drivers etc relied on many guys within the boat industry and the boat was ready 12 hours before the start of the race.

First ever race spent 130 grand (not a lot of money to someone who has plenty)

Also spent 30 grand on another boat that broke up after 10 hours of use.

must stop I'm moaning again

Old 02-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #623

Quote:
Still we won our class because we wern't lucky.

DL must prepare better next time
Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #624
ELK

Boat make: Phantom 21/Four Winns 205/Cougar cub
Engines: Merc 300xs / 5L V8 270hp/30hp Yam
Cruising area: Solent / Stockholm

Quote:
Point of no return...Entry fee paid!

Heja Sverige!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #625
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
We are not taking any trailer by road so there might be some interesting days..

John, why post this today? Do you KNOW for a fact that there are no parkings and the limit will be 20-25 knots?
Dry pits? We lifted the boat once during RB2008, in Lowestoft, and put her on some wooden blocks to check one of the drives. No problem, without a trailer.

If you REALLY want to do the race there are few excuses. Mike has worked like a madman the last two years for all of us and everything you see and hear is moaning and whining.

There are 42 teams listed on the VentureCup-website. I really hope that, at this point, most of them can stand up and make this historic race to happen.
I do know there are no facilities for the large number of vehicles at this stage at any venue and the manager of powerboat racing stood up in the meeting (I don't think anyone else saw this coming) and made an announcement about the wind limit and the licence thing is ongoing.

I am absolutely certain that people who enter this race can make their own mind up and I don't expect every entrant to follow me like a sheep, all I am doing is making my position public. I still as I said before wish the race well and will consider my position if things change.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #626

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Your right preparation is key

Just ask FB, MH and HB who competed in RB8 they obviously never prepared properly

PM me if you don't know who i'm talking about

Oh and I bought a hull gave it to boat builders 12 months before the race to rig bought all new engines, drivers etc relied on many guys within the boat industry and the boat was ready 12 hours before the start of the race.

First ever race spent 130 grand (not a lot of money to someone who has plenty)

Also spent 30 grand on another boat that broke up after 10 hours of use.

must stop I'm moaning again
Still. Luck has very little to do with the results.
Fabios crew made a silly mistake at the start.
Hannes B was not prepared right as they drowned their engines in Lyme Bay.
Never clarified íf Markus hit something or the hull just broke by the pounding.

I have put a lot of money and thousands of hours on my new boat and also lot of testing.
For sure, you can never know if some small part brakes during a race and everything stops there. But you can minimize the risk by preparation.

Don´t think many people follow Boatmad these days so the impact from these posts are not the same as in 2008.
The difference in attitude from most people posting here is worse. Like yours Barry. I used to read your "Team Bandit"-page in 2008 and the
tone was always very positive and you looked forward to the racing. What happened?

If everyone only talk about the negative sides and problems NO ONE will pay the fee and Mike is left with no money to organize the race.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #627

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I do know there are no facilities for the large number of vehicles at this stage at any venue and the manager of powerboat racing stood up in the meeting (I don't think anyone else saw this coming) and made an announcement about the wind limit and the licence thing is ongoing.

I am absolutely certain that people who enter this race can make their own mind up and I don't expect every entrant to follow me like a sheep, all I am doing is making my position public. I still as I said before wish the race well and will consider my position if things change.
Even though I am trying to have a normal day off with family I can't let you get away with telling a downright lie Cooke. The situation at EVERY venue has been satisfactorily resolved with the local councils regarding the location of trucks and trailers - naturally. It's your bleeding Motor Homes that you are really going on about. There are such things as car parks within the marinas areas you know which you can use. Having said that its obvious you are not going to take part so I don't know why I am wasting my time explaining.

ML
Old 02-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #628

To all of us fans of powerboats, and powerboat racing we must be exceeding grateful for the likes of Mike L putting on the big races, giving us something to watch, participate in (if only by watching via websites, following tracking etc.) and hopefully enjoy. I think it must be a pretty thankless task.

I was hugely disappointed that the RB12 did not take place, which shows that there is not a huge number of potential participants out there, so all who are half tempted to enter these great events must be encouraged/helped as much as possible in whatever form we can.

From my very naive perspective everyone who enters these races must be prepared/expecting a large degree of DIY as the logistics of trying to organise all crews/support/followers/extra team etc are near on impoosible when you factor in weather conditions stopping racing, breakdowns necessitating dry land repairs, teams playing catch-up etc.

I was gutted for you Barry on the RB08, I think you were dealt with very badly by some in the marine industry, but you perserved and achieved a great feat, being the 'underdog', I was proud to have sponsored you, in a very small way.

I hope very much you can take part Cookee, it will be a great achievement to take part in, and a great showcase for a British boat, and hopefully be the springboard for more enquiries and orders. The number of hurdles to entry seem to be increasing (license requirements etc.) but fingers crossed I hope you will be on the starting line.

I wish Mike and his team every success for the race, I thank him for his time and effort, and can't wait to watch the race.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #629

Interests: Vacations
Boat make: Burgess T850, Bristol T850 c 2 Wieser Boote
Engines: Yam70 (x3) & Stinger 75 (x2)
Cruising area: South West

Here Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedtopspeed View Post
To all of us fans of powerboats, and powerboat racing we must be exceeding grateful for the likes of Mike L putting on the big races, giving us something to watch, participate in (if only by watching via websites, following tracking etc.) and hopefully enjoy. I think it must be a pretty thankless task.

I was hugely disappointed that the RB12 did not take place, which shows that there is not a huge number of potential participants out there, so all who are half tempted to enter these great events must be encouraged/helped as much as possible in whatever form we can.

From my very naive perspective everyone who enters these races must be prepared/expecting a large degree of DIY as the logistics of trying to organise all crews/support/followers/extra team etc are near on impoosible when you factor in weather conditions stopping racing, breakdowns necessitating dry land repairs, teams playing catch-up etc.

I was gutted for you Barry on the RB08, I think you were dealt with very badly by some in the marine industry, but you perserved and achieved a great feat, being the 'underdog', I was proud to have sponsored you, in a very small way.

I hope very much you can take part Cookee, it will be a great achievement to take part in, and a great showcase for a British boat, and hopefully be the springboard for more enquiries and orders. The number of hurdles to entry seem to be increasing (license requirements etc.) but fingers crossed I hope you will be on the starting line.

I wish Mike and his team every success for the race, I thank him for his time and effort, and can't wait to watch the race.

Well said and fully agree

Keanaz
Old 02-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #630

Interests: Boats, skiing pets
Cruising area: wherever there is work!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedtopspeed View Post

Ditto to this Mike is a great person to have taken this on and i for one wish him well Claire x
Old 02-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #631

Quote:
Still. Luck has very little to do with the results.
Fabios crew made a silly mistake at the start.
Hannes B was not prepared right as they drowned their engines in Lyme Bay.
Never clarified íf Markus hit something or the hull just broke by the pounding.

I have put a lot of money and thousands of hours on my new boat and also lot of testing.
For sure, you can never know if some small part brakes during a race and everything stops there. But you can minimize the risk by preparation.

Don´t think many people follow Boatmad these days so the impact from these posts are not the same as in 2008.
The difference in attitude from most people posting here is worse. Like yours Barry. I used to read your "Team Bandit"-page in 2008 and the
tone was always very positive and you looked forward to the racing. What happened?

If everyone only talk about the negative sides and problems NO ONE will pay the fee and Mike is left with no money to organize the race.
1: Agree
2: Disagree. Agressive driving rough sea quick boat respect
3: Bad luck
4: Respect to you for putting lots of money in. I wish I still could and wish you well
5: Having dinner party and Bren Pi--ed with me reading these posts.
So will contin'.....
Old 03-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #632
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
The situation at EVERY venue has been satisfactorily resolved with the local councils regarding the location of trucks and trailers - naturally. It's your bleeding Motor Homes that you are really going on about. There are such things as car parks within the marinas areas you know which you can use.

ML
When I asked about "Dry pits" on the phone you had a very different answer Mike ..........

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
When I asked about "Dry pits" on the phone you had a very different answer Mike ..........
Whatever Cookee, can't be bothered with this.

ML.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #634
CB1

The logistics of this race must be a nightmare for the organisers as well as the entrants. Just the refueling alone must be a head ache... If there are 30 boats entered and each one takes 15mins to refuel, even with two pionts this will take upto 4 hours for the poor sod at the end of the line..... Wow that will be hardcore racing guys. Then you've got to do all next day prep. I can only take my hat off to you all.. Good luck...You'll need it..
Old 03-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #635

Interests: surface piercing props, stepped hulls, air entrapment hulls
Boat name: none
Boat make: PetterTintorera
Engines: Yamaha 90
Cruising area: West Coast of Norway

Presumably they won’t all arrive at the same time? Assuming they are refueling after each leg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1 View Post
The logistics of this race must be a nightmare for the organisers as well as the entrants. Just the refueling alone must be a head ache... If there are 30 boats entered and each one takes 15mins to refuel, even with two pionts this will take upto 4 hours for the poor sod at the end of the line..... Wow that will be hardcore racing guys. Then you've got to do all next day prep. I can only take my hat off to you all.. Good luck...You'll need it..
Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #636

To All Venture Cup Teams.

The following is an email from John Puddifoot of the RYA. He has requested that all teams are notified of the following points:

"I have attached a copy of the UIM Adopted rule changes for 2013, those relating to the Ultra Marathon Class can be found under the Offshore section at the beginning of the booklet. The specific rule changes that you need to advise your teams on are as follows":

Adopted Proposals: 20,21,22,23,24,26,27,27,29 31 and 32.

All of the existing 1200 Rules for UIM Marathon Racing remain unchanged and can be found in the current 2012 UIM Rule book. Some additional points to note:

1. The rules for Ultra Marathon licences require all crew in control of the boat to hold and RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate or similar, this will automatically qualify them for an ICC which can be issued by the RYA. A Marathon licence on its own does not qualify them for ICC.

2. Regarding passenger permits (Event Licences) these will only be issued by the RYA prior to the event and will not be available from Race Administration during the event. Those applying for Passenger permits must hold a sea survival certificate and an immersion tests if applicable. They may also be required to undertake a (full medical). I will confirm this medical requirement as soon as possible. The RYA will ask all applicants for passenger permits to submit a boating CV to the RYA prior to the licence being issued

3. I think the International Marathon licences will be approx. £450 for 2013 and I will be able to confirm this when I get notification of the insurance premiums from the underwriters.

4. We have now discussed the maximum wind strengths with the insurers, this max level is now set at 25 kts, this is applicable to the following race legs: 1-2-3-4-6-7 and 10. If wind strengths of 25 kts or more are forecast for any part of these race legs racing will not be permitted.

5. All competitors to send copies of their racing CVs to the RYA by end of December 2012, Shirley advised that 30 November was deadline but we are happy to wait till end December

6. All competitors to provide a competitor risk assessment by end January 2013

7. Final race instructions and Risk Assessments to be submitted to RYA by end January 2013

8. Competitors requiring a full International Marathon Licence must send their applications to the RYA by 30 March 2013, these applications must include all of the required supporting paperwork such as Advanced Powerboat Certificates, Sea Survival and First Aid Certificates, full medicals and Immersion test certificates where applicable. If any competitors are in doubt as to what is required please ask them to contact the RYA. Any applications received after this date will not be processed.

9. Competitors requiring Event Licences must send their applications to the RYA by 30 April, these applications must also include the required certificates. Event licences will not be available from Race Administration during the event.

10. Please remind all competitors applying for a UK licence that they must get their licence applications counter signed by a member of an affiliated offshore racing powerboat club. The following clubs are no longer affiliated: Allhallows Yacht Club (AYC), Drivers Powerboat Racing Club and Classic Offshore Powerboat Owners Club (CPOC)

Bedtime reading?

ML.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #637

Absolutely ridiculous with the 25 knot limit...
Would really like to see that in writing from the insurance company.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #638
CB1

And thats a forecast wind speed.... You'll need to be racing early morning to get those sort of conditions at that time of year. The onshore winds in those parts are pretty fierce come about 1100.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #639

Interests: Boats military vehicles
Boat name: HORATIA
Boat make: Nelson 40
Engines: Cats 800 hp
Cruising area: Solent

Wow, i think just getting to the start line is a marathon and pay for the privilage.I wonder what the requirements were for the first race ,might make interesting reading.
I think the wind speed is the least of your probs.Best of luck.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #640
wss

I am not sure why the RYA have right to over see this race at all out side of UK waters

The part of the ocean adjacent to the coast of a state that is considered to be part of the territory of that state and subject to its sovereignty. In International Law

this race will only run in UK waters for the 1st leg.
maybe some one can tell me why the RYA have the right to do this ??

Closed Thread