Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #681
Trade Member

Interests: Anything powered on wheels, water or air
Boat name: OVERLORD
Boat make: RING 34' SPORTSBOAT 2 X V8 PETROL
Engines: 2 x 320 MERCRUISER B1
Cruising area: South coast

Some of you will remember that a couple of years ago there were three new British 34ft powerboats being built. Cookee's, Mike Rings and Boss.

It's a sad fact that Robing Hyde & Tim Remingtons 34ft Boss is the only one who has decided to take part in this race.

ML.
.[/QUOTE]

Mike,

Just to put the record straight......

At no time did I ever state that I would enter the the CMC or even be in a position to part sponsor a RING 34 for the race , knowing that it will take fully fit near athletes of the right age group to survive the physical and mental strain of what is the ultimate marathon. So you have only one entrant pull out at present from the triple 34 build of 2 years ago. It will of course be good to see the Shark re-enter and I hope they do so.

I wish the event the greatest success and look forward to helping where we can i.e. marshalling, safety boat, whatever we can fit around our other commitments to help the event.

Mike

Neglect not thy opportunities
Old 10-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #682

Interests: Boats, Cars.
Boat name: Splash 4
Boat make: Hunton
Engines: Mercruiser 640
Cruising area: Poole, Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Just to confirm our position on this. We, and our main sponsor, had questions following on from the meeting in Portsmouth that required answers and/or some clarity. Aidan has kindly given as many answers as he is able to at this time following our email communications. We have a couple of outstanding questions which should be resolved shortly. As soon as we have these we will release the outstanding monies. Aidan is aware of this. Our boat build is near completion (early Jan) and we are ready to go.

Team Littlehampton
That's really great news, lets keep the positive stuff going. So who else is going to enter but holding back? Soon we will be at 20 boats !

Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Just to confirm our position on this. We, and our main sponsor, had questions following on from the meeting in Portsmouth that required answers and/or some clarity. Aidan has kindly given as many answers as he is able to at this time following our email communications. We have a couple of outstanding questions which should be resolved shortly. As soon as we have these we will release the outstanding monies. Aidan is aware of this. Our boat build is near completion (early Jan) and we are ready to go.

Team Littlehampton
Hi Monkey, thanks for the update, good to see our local team is still in there. We hope to be on the start line marshalling or safety. B & S.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #684
v24 rocks

Boat name: bat out of hell, tooti fruty
Cruising area: LA

cowes to monty and nice

Cowes to monty and nice is of
Old 10-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #685
v24 rocks

cowes to monty and nice

Lets do a poker run instead
Old 10-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #686

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog v2 View Post
Cowes to monty and nice is of
Mike Lloyd 6:29pm Dec 10
10th December 2012

It’s with deep regret and extreme disappointment that, after two years of intense work, several thousand hours and thousands of miles travelled, my colleagues and I have to inform the Venture Cup Fleet and my own race team that we only have 13 boats that have paid their next tranche of entry fee as per the Venture Cup rules.

Every team – some 42 in total – has known for some considerable time that the 30th November was the last day for this first payment. These payments were vitally important to the running of the race.

Therefore, because of the lack of entries, we have to postpone The Venture Cup - Cowes to Monte-Carlo Race. We cannot ethically continue to use money provided by just a few teams to continue the development of this race with the probability that no more teams would come on board and then these teams’ monies would be seriously depleted. That’s not fair or correct. Fees paid by those 13 teams will be refunded as soon as possible to the best of our ability.

I am personally deeply embarrassed by having to do this and wish to convey my sincere apologies to those who bothered to commit and who sent us their monies and in several cases asked whether they could send ALL of their entry fees. These are the true adventurers, the true offshore racers, who are obviously a rare breed and who want to take part in this type of long distance, multi leg, multi nation offshore racing. But we can’t run a race of this complexity on 13 teams unfortunately.

Dean Gibbs & RB11, Neil McGrigor & RB12 and now The Venture Cup. All of us have suffered serious financial loss, aggravation and considerable amounts of personal time in our determination to bring these famous old races back to life and eventually failing because of the lack of serious competitors. I want to thank all those fantastic volunteers of the Venture Cup team for all their hard work over the last year in trying to bring this race to fruition.

To ensure that this and other great races like it take place in the future, they will have to be run under an alternative organisation/federation so as to attract less bureaucracy and interference. However, it is our understanding that the race WILL in all probability take place on the 8th June 2013 in one form or another but certainly not under MPA Powerboat Events Limited – unfortunately.

Mike Lloyd.

View Post on Facebook · Edit Email Settings · Reply to this email to add a comment.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #687

Great shame.
But I can see your reasons and reading your blog regarding the last meeting I have found it strange that you had 200 people and 20 odd race teams turn up and only 12 teams commit.
Saying all that its obvious also that all the teams that put their names down in the first place did so with the best of intensions and are just as gutted as you regarding this situation.
I have only ever been a spectator on this, but for what its worth I think everyone involved has been excelent.
Here's hoping it can be saved.
Good luck to you all.
Cheers
R-L
Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #688

Interests: The sea
Boat name: Birretta Due
Boat make: FB 42
Engines: Cummings
Cruising area: Wherever there is racing

It would have been the greatest adventure of a lifetime, mine anyway. It is a pity it must end like this. It must be a great disappointment for the team of the Venture cup. I don't know how to explain this to all the people I asked support for the race, it must be dreadful for the team of Venture Cup to do so to the people they talked to in the different venues. I think the time of great racing is finished.

It is a sad day for all of us.

I can only thank Mike Lloyd and his team for all they did because they did it for us, organize a mega-event for the racers, not for themselves. I don't know how to react to this.

Thomas
Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #689
v24 rocks

cowes to monty and nice

J F clothes this link for all time its the the end
Old 10-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #690
wss

Mike i am very sorry this did not work out for you all but the RYA did not help there put to much red tape in the way as all ways

But as for you Mike i am very sorry you did a lot of work.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #691

Interests: Boats, Cars.
Boat name: Splash 4
Boat make: Hunton
Engines: Mercruiser 640
Cruising area: Poole, Solent

Cowes- Monte

Very sad news indeed, but all may not be lost.
Keep positive, there may be some light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #692
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennpromo View Post
Great stuff!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Old 11-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #693
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

Quote:
That'll be the RYA with a torch and another piece of paper....
Old 11-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #694

Interests: Boats, skiing pets
Cruising area: wherever there is work!

Quote:
In what way or is it all hush hush secret squirrel! claire
Old 11-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #695

I've been asked to publish the following, which was also sent to teams just now by email:

TEAMS,

It is with regret, I'm sure, that we all received yesterday's news about the cancellation of the Venture Cup. However we believe that all is not lost; the Offshore Racing Committee (ORC) has a meeting today at the RYA to start to seek a way forward.

It is then proposed to hold a meeting of all interested parties before the end of the year to reach a consensus. This will be held both in person and online (through a live private channel) to keep costs to a minimum. If you could kindly contact either myself or Aidan by email as soon as possible to state your teams position: ie: are you going to race, if not why not, if so is there anything that you need or would like to be changed? We will try to collate all of this information to form a true picture of the demand and to create a race that we all want.

Once we know where we are, we will broadcast this information to all who have said they are back in this terrific challenge. It is our very firm belief that there is a genuine demand from at least 20 boats, so we have a race!

It's timely to thank Mike Lloyd for getting us all so far; with the support of his team he had the vision and determination to put in countless thousands of hours, (literally), on this project. I am sure that we all hope that he will choose to still be involved, albeit in perhaps a little less of the limelight.

We have to remain positive, supportive and freely exchange ideas and information to get this great event back on its feet again. There is a massive undertaking here and so many people want it to happen, we cannot underestimate the challenges ahead and the need for compromise facing us both on the sea and in the preparation for such an event.

We look forward to hearing from you soonest.

Signatories:

- Simon Wood Power
- Peter Dredge
- Markus Hendricks
- Steve Curtis MBE
- Ole Herman Finholt
- Richard Carlton
- David Graham Smith
- Alan Goodwin
- Aidan Foley
Old 11-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #696

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

fingers crossed something can be sorted.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #697

The way forward

This is my first post but have followed boatmad for a couple of years as an ex racer in the 80s and early 90s.

Firstly I am very saddened to hear the news. I know Mike from my old racing days and must thank him for what he has done for the sport in the most difficult times and feel for him at this time.

Even back in the 80s the Instituion shall I call it did not make racing easy then and now they appear from reading between the lines they may have killed of a great race. I do ask how such an institution can control power boating and also motor cruising when not one of these words is in there name. I do cannot begin to think they understand that whilst all racers act responsibly probably 98% are amatures paying to race out there own pocket with very little sponsorships.

I headed this the way forward. Firstly apart from probably the Cowes start you will be racing in European waters. As far as all the countries you will visit apart from Uk you only need an ICC. Then you call it a powerboat rally or poker run. Obviously like in any event the organizers will need to ensure that all crews are fit and capable to take part in an event like this. I would add that I think that anyone entering such an event would not do so if they where not capable or do not realize the enormity of the race it's self.

With regard to boats and insurance I would assume as most are a professionally built they would comply to CE marking which in mos cases would be "B" this means that the boats are capable of handling up to force 8 and 4mtr seas. I think most would agree that on these conditions people will break before the boat ?

I know this sounds simple but it would work and be legal in EU countries. Now that Mike and his team have from what it appears done 90% if the work. Ie all the ports etc then it would be a great shame for them not to see this happen. So come on guys get behind the organizers and make this happen. You could always use Cowes for a powerboat rally then have the start in international waters?

I would comment on some teams comments about dry pits etc. I do have to question having delivered a few boats from the UK to the med some which are highly complicated and reasonably quick why one needs to lift a boat at every stop. Yes some will for damage but if you have divers then checks can be made in water and also prop changes as well. If they do require a lift at every leg then I question should they be racing in such an event?

I keep my fingers crossed and if happens will come and see all in Barcelona as just cross the water from where I live.

Good luck
Will H
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #698

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
I've been asked to publish the following, which was also sent to teams just now by email:

TEAMS,

It is with regret, I'm sure, that we all received yesterday's news about the cancellation of the Venture Cup. However we believe that all is not lost; the Offshore Racing Committee (ORC) has a meeting today at the RYA to start to seek a way forward.

It is then proposed to hold a meeting of all interested parties before the end of the year to reach a consensus. This will be held both in person and online (through a live private channel) to keep costs to a minimum. If you could kindly contact either myself or Aidan by email as soon as possible to state your teams position: ie: are you going to race, if not why not, if so is there anything that you need or would like to be changed? We will try to collate all of this information to form a true picture of the demand and to create a race that we all want.

Once we know where we are, we will broadcast this information to all who have said they are back in this terrific challenge. It is our very firm belief that there is a genuine demand from at least 20 boats, so we have a race!

It's timely to thank Mike Lloyd for getting us all so far; with the support of his team he had the vision and determination to put in countless thousands of hours, (literally), on this project. I am sure that we all hope that he will choose to still be involved, albeit in perhaps a little less of the limelight.

We have to remain positive, supportive and freely exchange ideas and information to get this great event back on its feet again. There is a massive undertaking here and so many people want it to happen, we cannot underestimate the challenges ahead and the need for compromise facing us both on the sea and in the preparation for such an event.

We look forward to hearing from you soonest.

Signatories:

- Simon Wood Power
- Peter Dredge
- Markus Hendricks
- Steve Curtis MBE
- Ole Herman Finholt
- Richard Carlton
- David Graham Smith
- Alan Goodwin
- Aidan Foley
Very commendable but foolhardy and naive. I cannot and will not be associated with this particular project (there is another in the wings) all the time it is associated with the RYA and the UIM.
ML.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #699

More thoughts on the way ahead

I believe Offshore racing has never really made it to the mainstream - because it has always primarily been a competitor sport rather than a spectator sport.

The nearest it came was perhaps the Daily Express Cowes-Torquay and CTC races of the 60s and 70s and the Guernsey powerboat weeks of the 80s.

Most of the Joe public spectator appeal was I suspect due to very loud engine noise rather than a true interest in powerboat racing.

There is a lot of interesting initiative on this site regarding possible new directions for the sport (including from WSS and now ML?)

From the 100,000 plus views on this thread- “ultra marathon events” are very popular and not just from the detractors and and putters down.

Clearly an event such as CTM exists because it is one of the ultimate competitors' events- with good marketing it could be made a good spectator event too- but like those classic events from Cowes and Guernsey- a moderately large entry must be secured. (Everybody knows this)

A key to this will be a policy of inclusion rather than exclusion – this is where politics, personalities and organizing bodies raise their ugly head.

An organizing national authority basically supposed to provide a framework under which an event is organized – with the intention of making things as safe as reasonably practicable including;, setting minimum technical standards for boats and engines (through racing rules and scrutineers insections) and setting minimum standards for drivers and crew through licencing and medicals

- unfortunately some national authorities have grown to administer and enforce more and more restrictions, ultimately leading to exclusion-

Perhaps it is now time to replace over regulation with common sense, reasonableness and good seamanship .

This could mean handing many responsibilities back to the competitors and away from the authorities?

All of us in charge of a vessel on an international voyage have clearly defined duties and responsibilities under international law. As long as these are observed- there is no reason why we cannot make passages to previously defined destinations at the best possible speed. (i.e. a multi stage voyage to Nice for example?)

Mike- I echo many here in thanking you for your efforts to date- and eagerly await details of what is "in the wings"

Guy
Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #700
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by willh View Post
This is my first post but have followed boatmad for a couple of years as an ex racer in the 80s and early 90s.

Firstly I am very saddened to hear the news. I know Mike from my old racing days and must thank him for what he has done for the sport in the most difficult times and feel for him at this time.

Even back in the 80s the Instituion shall I call it did not make racing easy then and now they appear from reading between the lines they may have killed of a great race. I do ask how such an institution can control power boating and also motor cruising when not one of these words is in there name. I do cannot begin to think they understand that whilst all racers act responsibly probably 98% are amatures paying to race out there own pocket with very little sponsorships.

I headed this the way forward. Firstly apart from probably the Cowes start you will be racing in European waters. As far as all the countries you will visit apart from Uk you only need an ICC. Then you call it a powerboat rally or poker run. Obviously like in any event the organizers will need to ensure that all crews are fit and capable to take part in an event like this. I would add that I think that anyone entering such an event would not do so if they where not capable or do not realize the enormity of the race it's self.

With regard to boats and insurance I would assume as most are a professionally built they would comply to CE marking which in mos cases would be "B" this means that the boats are capable of handling up to force 8 and 4mtr seas. I think most would agree that on these conditions people will break before the boat ?

I know this sounds simple but it would work and be legal in EU countries. Now that Mike and his team have from what it appears done 90% if the work. Ie all the ports etc then it would be a great shame for them not to see this happen. So come on guys get behind the organizers and make this happen. You could always use Cowes for a powerboat rally then have the start in international waters?

I would comment on some teams comments about dry pits etc. I do have to question having delivered a few boats from the UK to the med some which are highly complicated and reasonably quick why one needs to lift a boat at every stop. Yes some will for damage but if you have divers then checks can be made in water and also prop changes as well. If they do require a lift at every leg then I question should they be racing in such an event?

I keep my fingers crossed and if happens will come and see all in Barcelona as just cross the water from where I live.

Good luck
Will H
Will Haycock??

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Closed Thread