Boatmad.com

Old 29-10-2004, 11:47 AM   #21
Jon

Interests: Being Rude.
Cruising area: Kings Road

Well thats just as well cos youd have been very pissed off if it had been open.

It depends what your expecting, it is worth going if you are generally interested in boats, however, if its just fast boats your after then dont bother.

The National Maritime in Falmouth is a Joke. Lovely building and all but it aint no National maritime Museum thats for sure. Nothing on the Titanic, P & O or the East India Lines in fact the only things of note are the 1st Mirror dinghy, Frank and Margeret Dyes Wayfarer and a glass viewing pane so you can see under water!!!!

Ill give it some time and maybe try again because the building and location have tremendous potential.

PS. You can get to the Newport one by boating up the River Medina and tying up at the end.

Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 11:58 AM   #22
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally posted by R-Don
PS. You can get to the Newport one by boating up the River Medina and tying up at the end.
If the tide's in! and you're not planning on staying too long.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 12:47 PM   #23
The Doc

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnson
I'm not a feckin tour guide!

I think the one in Essex is still open, it has Chris Kay's Sabre diesel speed record boat amongst others.

There's also one in France, where 'Mariner Magazine' (quad OB cat) now lives.

Mebbe we need a boatmad powerboat museum trip to Essex! white handbags n stilletos at the ready girls!
well, youre all most welcome at Chaos cottages for a cuppa and a bacon sarnie...en route.

I'd love to go.........

Stilletos indeed!! I wear thigh high whore boots nowadays thank you!!!
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 01:07 PM   #24
The Doc

its a new franchise
Old 29-10-2004, 01:52 PM   #25
The Doc

cottage pies of course!
Old 29-10-2004, 02:38 PM   #26
The Doc

Problem is....in a former life, he was called Mr Thirsty and he hasnt exactly got a good history of finishing races?
Old 29-10-2004, 09:29 PM   #27
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Chaos
Problem is....in a former life, he was called Mr Thirsty and he hasnt exactly got a good history of finishing races?
'Noisy' need two things to become a successful and reliable raceboat. First, a set of props and second, a thorough preparation, testing and development regimen.

The prop problem.

The boat suffers desparately getting on the plane. The props are three blade 15.5 X 28 cleavers turning outwards. The small diameter is due to very limited clearance between the cavitation plate and the prop shaft. More blade area is the answer. A four blade round ear prop would probably solve the problem. Cleavers give stern lift as does the outward rotation. The last thing a Velocity need is more stern lift as this is provided by the pad. Also Steve Stepp says that props turning inwards give an addtional 3mph on his boats. We checked this with our twin engine 26 and found this to be exactly right. There is a downside to inward turning props however and this is a decrease in stability as chine riding is exacerbated by the inward rotation. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

The reliability problem

The engines currently in the boat came out of one of our corporate hospitality boats. They are bog standard 502 EFIs (well Volvo 8.2 GSis to be precise) that were maintained meticulously. There is no reason for them to be unreliable. That is of course unless the boat is used once a year and one expects that during that once a year outing that once the keys are turned that everything will be perfect. It just doesn't work that way. The boat needs to be used and tested and retested on a regular basis.

On a final note, the drives and gearboxes have proven to be pretty trouble free recently.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2004, 12:31 AM   #28
JBP

Quote:
Originally posted by R-Don

Ill give it some time and maybe try again because the building and location have tremendous potential.

[/B]
the Falmouth Location is good we're takin the K series there in July 2005 and who knows will follow in the future...
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2004, 10:27 AM   #29
Jon

Interests: Being Rude.
Cruising area: Kings Road

JBP,

Give us the dates please, id like to go down and see that if i can.

(Any excuse to visit the Falmouth area)
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2004, 06:12 PM   #30
JBP

Should be 16/17 July in Falmouth, we're there by invite too. We also race in Bristol(City) docks 21-2 May.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:59 PM   #31
Ben

Quote:
may i enquire about "Unipart"? theres something rather cool about the way that thing looks........sooooo retro.
Twas as 30' wooden Cougar built in the early to mid 80's and raced by the Toleman twins I believe. The original sponsor was 'Propeller Shirts'. I'll try to dig out the photo.

It was re-rigged and rebuilt for the 89 season by John Yeoman (a former Class III 4 litre driver) and was fitted with Hawk canopies and I believe KS&W small blocks. I recall seeing it at Swansea and Guernsey in 89 and they had about 4 spare engines and 2 or so spare drives.

Must have been quite a sponsorship deal form Unipart and Lambs.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:15 AM   #32
The Doc

cheers Ned, love to see that old picture
Old 04-11-2004, 12:55 AM   #33
numbskull

Twoz one of those pairs of motors that ended up in John Eberhardt's 27 Magnum 'Sidewinder', the KS&W's I think

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 04-11-2004, 01:00 AM   #34
The Doc

how do you lot know all this stuff? I'm not complaining....bring it on; i love it.......its jsut i can barely remember my split personalities name!
Old 04-11-2004, 01:25 AM   #35
numbskull

easy, the Magnum 27 in question raced in our class, it shouldn't have, given it's totaly illegal engines, and drive height, but it did.

never did very well tho', but it was one pretty lookin boat.

Old 04-11-2004, 01:29 AM   #36
The Doc

Quote:

that makes it ok, if you own decent kit.......its always "dont speed through, 12 miles per hour...so evrybody sees you"
Old 04-11-2004, 02:21 AM   #37
Ben

Quote:
easy, the Magnum 27 in question raced in our class, it shouldn't have, given it's totaly illegal engines, and drive height, but it did.

I've just re-read the rules for T and GT class and 'Sidewinder' should have been in 'GT' class along with 'Mr Noisy' and 'The Reefer'. So should have 'Wave Slaves' and 'Agitator'. Come to think of it, I'm still not sure why it wasn't or have I forgotten something that I should remember and am better off having forgotten?
Old 04-11-2004, 06:56 AM   #38
numbskull

Quote:
that makes it ok, if you own decent kit.......its always "dont speed through, 12 miles per hour...so evrybody sees you"

Summertime!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2004, 08:31 AM   #39
numbskull

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I've just re-read the rules for T and GT class and 'Sidewinder' should have been in 'GT' class along with 'Mr Noisy' and 'The Reefer'. So should have 'Wave Slaves' and 'Agitator'. Come to think of it, I'm still not sure why it wasn't or have I forgotten something that I should remember and am better off having forgotten?
Ned,
One has to remember that back then, we sat at opposing ends of the table.You were trying to get sportsboat class going, whilst TD and myself were keen to keep NPC II, and the RYA wanted just one class incorporating the existing NPC boats and the sportsboats.

You, TD and myself spent countless hours getting a formula together that suited everyone (sort of) then the RYA, in their usual limp wristed way gave in to 'Sidewinder', 'Agitator' and 'Wave Slave', giving them dispensation to race in 'T' Class, coz they didn't wanna race against the likes of 'Dog Gone', 'Mr Noisy' and 'Reefer' in GT Class, which was where they fell with the spec of their boats.

So it was all a waste of Fkkn time! (thanks Dredge)

As it turned out, it didn't affect the championship(s), but had someone really put their heart n soul in with one of the boats running under dispensation, they should have cleaned up!

None of the boats running at that time would have stood a chance against 'BRUT' (Agitator) had it been 'on song' for a full season.

Old 04-11-2004, 08:46 AM   #40
Ian

More Unipart

Quote:
may i enquire about "Unipart"? theres something rather cool about the way that thing looks........sooooo retro.
More retro Unipart stuff for the Captain,

Nigel Mansell's 1979 F3 March
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	793-2.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1980  

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote