Boatmad.com

Old 05-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #1

Alloy A frame/mast

I'm wanting to construct an A frame of sorts from Marine Grade Aluminium Alloy plate. The structure will consist of two profiled uprights (closer at the top than the bottom) with cross bracing at the bottom, 2rds up and at the top. These side profiles will have large holes cut into to remove excessive weight.

I'm hoping to have the whole lot Anodised.

I haven't seen any boats with this type of frame before and there's obviously a reason for it, Cost, Looks, Practiablility of such a frame.

There are several people on Boatmad that have experience of working with Alloy that I would like feedback from, so if you would have any suggestion I'd like to hear from you.

Andy

hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
Dan
On a roll

Interests: Bristol Rovers, Cider & Boats
Boat name: Aqua Thunder, Badboy
Boat make: Bernico F2, Phantom 21
Engines: Merc 280efi, Merc 260efi
Cruising area: Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightower View Post
I'm wanting to construct an A frame of sorts from Marine Grade Aluminium Alloy plate. The structure will consist of two profiled uprights (closer at the top than the bottom) with cross bracing at the bottom, 2rds up and at the top. These side profiles will have large holes cut into to remove excessive weight.

I'm hoping to have the whole lot Anodised.

I haven't seen any boats with this type of frame before and there's obviously a reason for it, Cost, Looks, Practiablility of such a frame.

There are several people on Boatmad that have experience of working with Alloy that I would like feedback from, so if you would have any suggestion I'd like to hear from you.

Andy
Andy,
If its flat cut profiles you want I can help you. Although if I have understood your posting right I think that you may lack the strength you need in this area. I have looked at doing a few towers for friends, and through work have made a stainless frame previously, but this is not some that I would do again without propper approved drawings from the customer as it turned into a nightmare!!!!! In the end we cut it up and through it in the skip! By the time you have buggered about you could have brought an of the shelf version for a lot less ££££ - all IMHO