Boatmad.com

Old 16-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #1

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Alpha 1 Steering Play

High i have free play in the steering lever pivot,ie;the steering lever that's in side the gimble housing and protrudes through the transom and the steering cable connects to it.It appears to be a pinch bolt clamp on the shaft.I've tried to get and tighten the pinch bolt but can't get to it,is the free play a major concern could it slip/sheer?and it looks like an engine out,inner trandsom plate and gimble housing removal to get to it,is it a case of tightening bolt or is it a spine/tapper with a quater pin?any help/line drawing etc appreciated
Nic
PS this is on my other boat not the Phantom

NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #2

here's a diagram

Marinautic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #3

oops
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alpha.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	19941  
Marinautic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinautic View Post
oops
Thanks I coudn't find this drawing anywhere on the webb but did find this webb site which is great www.mercstuff.com very helpfull,it looks like the connection between the shaft and the lever is a square pin/hole and the pinch bolt is no longer gripping it tight hence the free play,according to the webb site the earlier ones were a spline.Hopefully the more informed on here will be able to confirm that drilling the holes in the housing is to give access to the top nut and pinch bolt is only if you want to do the job with it all in place.I take it that if you were prepaied to remove engine inner transom plate and outer gimble housing etc I can get to these bolts from inside with out drilling holes this is not clear in the manual?Help Appreciated
Old 20-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #5

Has anyone done this job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
Thanks I coudn't find this drawing anywhere on the webb but did find this webb site which is great www.mercstuff.com very helpfull,it looks like the connection between the shaft and the lever is a square pin/hole and the pinch bolt is no longer gripping it tight hence the free play,according to the webb site the earlier ones were a spline.Hopefully the more informed on here will be able to confirm that drilling the holes in the housing is to give access to the top nut and pinch bolt is only if you want to do the job with it all in place.I take it that if you were prepaied to remove engine inner transom plate and outer gimble housing etc I can get to these bolts from inside with out drilling holes this is not clear in the manual?Help Appreciated
Please advise if you know about this
Old 20-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #6

Interests: Boating, Eating, Fishing.
Boat name: No Boat
Cruising area: South coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
Please advise if you know about this
Hi Nick, Mercruiser used to supply a kit with 2 3/4unp plastic plugs, drilling template and instructions on how to (imho) bodge the tiller arm it does not include the tap required to thread the hole you have to drill. The reallity is the upper pivot pin is made of steel as is the arm, what usually happens is the shaft rusts, destroys the upper seal, the arm and pin rust, causing the square ends to round of and no end of tightening will eliminate the play. the only positive way to effect a safe repair is to remove drive,engine and transom shield. Replace worn parts and reassemble. You can also get play in the square onto the gimble ring on the outside.
The parts are unfortunatly very expensive, the last time i replaced a pin they were about £ 300.00 .If you know a good machine shop you could probably get one made in stainless for about the same price.
Old 21-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #7

Thanks for response

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL BROWN View Post
Hi Nick, Mercruiser used to supply a kit with 2 3/4unp plastic plugs, drilling template and instructions on how to (imho) bodge the tiller arm it does not include the tap required to thread the hole you have to drill. The reallity is the upper pivot pin is made of steel as is the arm, what usually happens is the shaft rusts, destroys the upper seal, the arm and pin rust, causing the square ends to round of and no end of tightening will eliminate the play. the only positive way to effect a safe repair is to remove drive,engine and transom shield. Replace worn parts and reassemble. You can also get play in the square onto the gimble ring on the outside.
The parts are unfortunatly very expensive, the last time i replaced a pin they were about £ 300.00 .If you know a good machine shop you could probably get one made in stainless for about the same price.
I'd seen the kit and thought by the time i'd bought a cutter and tap it would be just as cost effective to pull the engine drive etc,I just wasn't sure if i'd still have to drill the housing but I presume when its all out it gives you access to the nut/pin etc and it sounds like it might need some heat on it so better if all removed from the boat.It's a pain because I only have a small ammount of play.