Boatmad.com

Old 26-08-2020, 10:58 PM   #221

Yes mate. He said the cam is lairy enough that it has to be dry to the tips - so it will be. Except the tips are still in southampton water when the rest of the boat is in cowes. That'll keep it nice and quiet, in cowes.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 11:10 PM   #222

Boat make: Phantom 23

Send a message via MSN to RossM
Nice work dude, Boat looks epic.
How's it run with the single V8?

RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 11:13 PM   #223

Sweet. Once it gets up on the pad it runs like it's on rails and likes nice and neutral trim.
Old 26-08-2020, 11:14 PM   #224

Nice dude, Any Vids of it? When you out next?
Old 28-08-2020, 01:23 AM   #225
jw.

Interests: Hole maker
Boat make: Humber Ocean Offshore
Engines: KAD 300/DPX

So, finally! Hehe. It's good to see it on the water. I hope you're well pleased with yourself, it's been a long haul.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:27 AM   #226

2023 Upgrades

Exhaust Upgrades

After the last run, it was clear I need to put some effort to quietening things down a bit around marinas and so forth. My initial plan was to just downrate the camshaft slightly - sacrifice a few mph top end and be able to run a wet exhaust - however rmbuilder was reluctant to spec me an alternative camshaft and instead recommended mufflers. So a fair bit of hunting round, eventually I found that Gil mufflers can run dry, so I set about making some new tailpipes that would fit the gil mufflers, plus also let me adjust how much water goes in to them.

At the same time, also wanted to reduce reversion. Original plan was to have a large crossover pipe between the banks - since the major point of reversion is due to the uneven firing cycle between banks. Originally planned to have a full 3.5" inner bore pipe mounted immediately after the collectors, but eventually I realised this was impractical.

Also wanted to have a flange between the collector/manifold and the tailpipes - to give me a better mount point for the O2 sensors and also to have a EGR check valve in - this is another idea, to have an EGR type check valve in so that at idle, rather than suck exhaust (water) back in, fresh air is pulled in via the check valve. Don't need a huge amount of flow here, just enough so that at idle there's a little less reversion.

The flange idea also means that as I try different packaging/ideas out - I just need to make a new flange, not a whole new tailpipe each time!

Exhaust Flange

Part 1 was to make the flanges and see if this plan was viable. I needed an aluminium flange, 50mm thick

Unfortunately, nobody wanted to make me one of these, so had to make it myself.

Started off with a couple of bits of 50mm thick aluminium:

And then slowly using the biggest holesaw I could get to work, cut a hole in the middle:

That was enough to then get it into the lathe with a boring bar:

I think they came out OK:
Old 12-07-2023, 10:27 AM   #227

Tailpipes

Next it was time to build new tailpipes to fit both the flanges and the mufflers. I had new stainless 316 flanges laser cut from fractory, so the first steps were easy to mock up the inner tubes:

However, if you'eve ever looked at a dry tail pipe boat, often the exhausts look asymettrical coming out the back of the boat through the transom - because the exhaust manifolds are offset slight (one bank of cylinders is about 3/4" forwards than the other, which messes up the angles). This meant that while I could have one bank with a straight tailpipe, the other bank would need to be adjusted to make sure the exhausts are symmetrical on the transom). This took a lot of backwards and forwards for what appeared like a small cut. in the pipe You can see in the below pic that I've already welded the inner & outer to the flange, along with the water dump pipes fabricated and welded on, along with half the outer.

It was also necessary to have the flanges bolted to something pretty sturdy to stop them distorting when they were being welded:

And I'm still a beginner at tig welding, but I think it came out OK:

Next it was time to weld on the last bit of the outers (which then means I also need to remove the manifolds to install & remove the tailpipes - aggro!)

Then needed to make some clamp water dumps for out the back. The "idea" is that the mufflers get cooled externally from the outside to avoid burning them up too much - pics below will show:

Final install. I think they came out OK. Hope it works! this pic is with the flaps closed.

Old 12-07-2023, 10:28 AM   #228

Oil Leak

Also noticed a small oil leak from the sump last time I ran it. A bit of googling tells me that the "modern" single piece oil pan gaskets are notorious for leaking as they've a bit thick & rigid, so yet again, engine out:

And then when I drained the oil, I found a couple of drops (literally) in the oil. That's not right! So I pulled the intake manifold off as the most likely culprit. I hope I found it:

So a bunch more work redoing that:

Old 12-07-2023, 03:30 PM   #229
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Hi Matt - I just had a notification of a thread update - well that takes me back! Is anyone doing these hulls? Got an interesting project enquiry the other day ...............

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 07:23 PM   #230

Hey Cookee. TBH, I was sitting there fixing the thing last weekend and thinking what a laugh we all had out on the water with regular meet ups and so forth back in the day - although scary to think it's 18ish years ago now!

None of that seems to happen any more, either here or on rib.net. It's a shame - there were many good times.
So I thought I'd "do a bit" and post a bit of an update....

I believe the moulds are still around - not sure, might be frode or someone that has them now, Mange would know for sure.

Could probably be persuaded to part with this one for the right price, opportunities to use it are few and far between these days with kids, I really need a nice 6m rib with an outboard now.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:02 PM   #231

Lovely work mate, nice job on the tigging too👍
Old 13-07-2023, 01:58 PM   #232
The Doc

18 years, but things dont change. Matt popping up on here and offering
ridiculous nonsense.

you appear to have written the words "nice" and "6m rib" in the same sentence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Hey Cookee. TBH, I was sitting there fixing the thing last weekend and thinking what a laugh we all had out on the water with regular meet ups and so forth back in the day - although scary to think it's 18ish years ago now!

None of that seems to happen any more, either here or on rib.net. It's a shame - there were many good times.
So I thought I'd "do a bit" and post a bit of an update....

I believe the moulds are still around - not sure, might be frode or someone that has them now, Mange would know for sure.

Could probably be persuaded to part with this one for the right price, opportunities to use it are few and far between these days with kids, I really need a nice 6m rib with an outboard now.
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 07:03 PM   #233

The trouble with having a combo of no boating buddies and no time means that my chief crew mate has done exactly the same amount of boating that I have in the last 2 years.

He's 8 years old and a speed freak.
Old 13-07-2023, 08:11 PM   #234
BananaShark Member

Quote:
The trouble with having a combo of no boating buddies and no time means that my chief crew mate has done exactly the same amount of boating that I have in the last 2 years.

He's 8 years old and a speed freak.
:-)
Old 14-07-2023, 08:48 AM   #235

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

chaos i was going to say the same thing
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2023, 09:35 AM   #236

It's quite a relief to hear that you guys all still think I am a dickhead.
Old 14-07-2023, 09:46 AM   #237
BananaShark Member

Quote:
It's quite a relief to hear that you guys all still think I am a dickhead.
Did you get my PM?

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Old 14-07-2023, 02:50 PM   #238
The Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
chaos i was going to say the same thing
I knew you had my back mate!
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2023, 05:35 PM   #239

Finally got a chance to test the new exhausts out yesterday, along with doing a bit of work on the fuel map. Bit choppy to do to much work on the map, but aside from that all the mods and upgrades worked well:

The main purpose of the test to see if the new exhaust system worked and the mufflers quietened things down a bit. A success in that regard, and in fact I think I can put a bit more water in to the mufflers to quieten them down even more.

Was also good to give everything a check over after not running it for 2 years, and also manage to do some faster runs. Can't video those though as I was a bit busy, but quite enjoyed romping through some of the chop.

Old 30-07-2023, 09:28 PM   #240

Interests: Boats and Bikes
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Boat make: Ocean 6.25
Engines: Suzi-wong 200HP EFI
Cruising area: Solent

Well done Matt.

Next time, pick me up on the way past and I'll do the video bit