Boatmad.com

Old 02-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #1

Country: In the UK, in my office, working, waiting to go boating.
Interests: boats, water, snow, football
Boat name: “DoubleSix”; “Blue Lias”
Boat make: Ring 21c; Pacemaker 21
Engines: Opti 200; twin Volvo AQ110s
Cruising area: Lyme Bay

Bennett tabs not working

I have a Bennett system with EIC controller (auto tab retract not connected). The system worked fine last season but I’ve just tried it for the first time and there is no action (up or down from either tab) and no sound from the HPU. When the EIC is switched to live, I get four amber lights (one at the top and bottom of each strip of LEDs. But no response when operating the rockers.

Before I go any further, Please note that I have not yet done any fault finding due to a lack of time, I have not even checked fuses yet (How exactly do you open those little bullet shaped fuse housings?), but I just hoped that by posting this now, I might be better placed to focus on a few things next time I go to the boat and have a proper look. Any comments or pointers (known/common faults) at this stage would be most welcome, in particular if you reckon my assumptions are wrong.

What I have thought so far.

Because I have lights on the EIC, I think the live (and fuse) to the EIC must be OK, and also, as the EIC has no negative/earth of its own, the earth from the battery to the relay module must be good.

The wiring harnesses between the EIC and module, and module to the HPU is most likely to be OK as it is every function that is not working not just one single.

Is it possible that it is the live from the battery to the relay module (either the connection or fuse) is faulty?

Is there a known/common fault in the relay module?

Is there a common problem with faulty harnesses (in the connector blocks or something?
Thanks,
Lee

DoubleSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #2

Interests: fast boats......
Boat make: phantom 21, Searay 260 Ov
Engines: XR 2, 2 x 4.3 V6
Cruising area: poole bay - solent, where petrol allows

Check the earth from the pump and also the live to the relay. The 4 amber LED's flashing indicates the system needs calibrating so has lost its memory of EIC position so the switch can see the relay but as the pump is not doing anything at all you need to sort the pump connections first. To check to see if the pump runs you can disconnect the pump from the relay (4 color harness) and do the below:
Operation = Reaction
Apply 12 volts (+)to blue, red = Port trim tab down
Apply 12 volts (+)to blue, green = Starboard trim tab down
Apply 12 volts (+)to blue, red, green = Both trim tabs down
Apply 12 volts (+)to yellow, red = Port trim tab up
Apply 12 volts (+)to yellow, green = Starboard trim tab up
Apply 12 volts (+)to yellow, red, green = Both trim tabs up

Old 05-06-2016, 11:26 PM   #3

Hi Mark, Thanks for the response. I have tried the tests you described almost as above, although as I was on my on I could only test one wire at a time - I needed one hand to hold the test wire and one to hold the Harness to the HPU.
Live to either red or green I could hear the port or starboard valve clicking. Live to either blue or yellow and the pump could be heard running. I also did the same test taking the live feed from the module side of the live feed.

I think this would indicate the HPU is fully functional, as is the Earth from the HPU to the relay module, and Earth from the module to the battery.

The rocker now has one red light on each side, possibly as a result or testing and running the HPU? but still no response anywhere.

Is it all pointing at the relay module?
Thanks,
Lee
Old 24-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #4

Tabs fixed, relay module replaced after a couple of false starts....

The good advice above is extended in the Bennett troubleshooting guide beyond using the colour codes above for testing the HPU. The guide also states that a similar test can be conducted using the "spare for auto tab control" wiring harness.

Outcome is that If the tabs function correctly for each wiring group then the EIC blue cable or display/switch is at fault. The tabs still functioned so naturally assumed that as per the guide, it wasn't the module. After trying out a new display and new cable, I soon found the Bennett guide to be somewhat misleading as it was a new module that fixed the problem. Thanks to Mark, above, and to Magic Marine who have a returns policy!