Boatmad.com

Old 12-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #1

Interests: boating
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: 8.2 volvo
Cruising area: solent

can anyone help

bought the extreme a few months back with blown motor guy i bought it off had it 3 years it blew up when he first had it then again just before i bought it he had water problems

stuck a new base engine in and checked all other bits replaced some, he said he had had the inlet manifold & oil cooler pressure tested every thing seemed fine for a while, run it in then opened it up but was only getting 62 started looking into things, then one afternoon it wouldn`t start or tick over turned out to be wet plugs, so checked inlet pressure was fine took risers off and there was water sat in the manifold. Decided to clean everything up changed oil which had no water in it, new plugs and dried it out, put it back together and took for a run took it easy to start with everything seemed ok, opened it up 66 straight away didn`t want to push it so headed back .checked plugs 1 had drop of water on it took riser off the water was back

bought new manifold and riser + gaskets - still water
took imco silent choice off and ran straight out the back - still water
took electrical and oil brackets off because they were split - still water
faced the joint between manifold and riser + gasket & sealant then torqed - still water

took riser off and took water away from the manifold then ran it on muffs done it about 4 times letting it get to temp then turning off looking for any signs of water with a torch .stayed dry so everything points to the exhaust, the engine is stock so is the cam and shouldn`t have reversion problems but what i can`t get my head round is the other side of the exhaust is always bone dry

my next step was to buy a dry joint performance exhaust spoke to td he said boat had always had standard exhausts and imco since new .i don`t realy want to blow £2k on new exhaust especially when this boat has already skinted me and it should work with the new volvo ones and if i spend that on it and it doesn`t work i`ll end up burning it in a field

any idea`s

or if anyone has a second hand one 454 0r 502 or even better lend me one would be amazing

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 12:31 AM   #2

Boat name: Lightning
Boat make: Fountain 33 Lightning
Engines: Twin 496 ho
Cruising area: Poole

refrence to engine

hi bert sent you a pm
charlie boy is offline   Reply With Quote