Boatmad.com

Old 07-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #1

Interests: Boats, Surfing & Snowboarding
Boat name: Isabella / Cool Runnings II / Bella / Sea Pup / Sea Dog / Speedy II / Bernico F3
Boat make: Colvic 35 Suncruiser / Bernico F3 / Phantom 16 / Zodiac 420 YL / RIB / Apollo 9
Engines: 2 x Perkins Sabre 225ti / Mercury Pro XS /Mercury Pro XS 115/ Tohatsu 2.5 / Mercury 25 / Mercury 50
Cruising area: Thames Estuary / River Crouch / Salcombe

Car Stereo

Hi all I am wiring in a new car stereo in the boat the way the old radio was wired does not work with the new radio can you advise where i wire to "ground" please as I understand you dont wire ground to the negative of the battery. Thanks in advance

Old 07-07-2006, 09:11 PM   #2

Interests: lots
Boat make: scorpion 8.1
Engines: 250HO
Cruising area: solent

Re: Car Stereo

Quote:
Originally posted by Silversurfer
please as I understand you dont wire ground to the negative of the battery. Thanks in advance
dude in dc supplys ground is negative so to speak! if u mean on the boat u should have a negative rail or bus bar maybe... if not find a suitable local earth(make sure it aint a switched one) and it has sufficient wire capabilitles to handle extra juice of ur stereo or run a new one!

If you mean on the stereo it should be the black wire but if its missing/damaged you can just use the stereos metal chassis or outside case as the pwba inside will be earthed through it!

Ur old stereo should have had one! get a multimeter and beep test the wires to -ve on battery one should turn up! unless its earthed through speakers but thats serously old stuff and wen mounted to a metal car so i doubt it very much!!

If you want tell me what stereo came out and want one you want to put in and what colour wires, i may be able to help!

The car stereos follow a convention nowadays on wire colours!

glen

glen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #3

Boat name: Isabella / Cool Runnings II / Bella / Sea Pup / Sea Dog / Speedy II / Bernico F3
Boat make: Colvic 35 Suncruiser / Bernico F3 / Phantom 16 / Zodiac 420 YL / RIB / Apollo 9
Engines: 2 x Perkins Sabre 225ti / Mercury Pro XS /Mercury Pro XS 115/ Tohatsu 2.5 / Mercury 25 / Mercury 50

Cheers Glen the old stereo was earthed to the speakers the new one has an ISO connector so I brought an iso onnector for the boat end and wirred it as the old stereo but no sound, everything else worked so I guess I need to run a negative back to the battery in Portugal at the moment so will be doing it when I get back. The Old stero was seriously old guess fletcher brought a job lot back in 1980's or something. the new one is an Aldi special, but looks great for 49.99 has mp3-cd and reads from a 1gig MMC card so wont skip in the rough!

Will try running a negaitive direct to the battery, when i get back.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #4

The question came after reading this http://www.ehow.com/how_11684_install-marine-audio.html

Marine wiring by eHow Friend
On a boat, negative and ground are not the same. You guys all think you're wiring a car, so you use the ground as a current carrying wire. I can't count the number of boats I've had to fix because someone had wired into the ground for negative. The AM/FM worked, but all the marine navigation stuff is screwed up. If you really want to know how to wire a boat, check the ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) standards for small craft.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:05 PM   #5

of course the ground is current carrying, its a dc supply! in and then out! thats where most people set fire to things by not providing a matched capacity negative.. but im open to all news so will have a quick read wtf they are on about!
Old 13-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #6

ah i think hes talking about big boats that connect to ac supplies!!

heres a little googlin for u!
http://www.islandnet.com/robb/marine.html

not sure how ur old stereo was earthed through speakers as surely they are mounted in glass not metal! If ur stereo works then u have an earth! No sound is not a sign of no earth on unit. Have you got 2 wires to each speaker? and two connections to each?? Get a 9v pp3 battery and touch each pair of speaker wires in turn! should get a pop and if ur fussed about speaker polarity you can tell which is positive by if the speaker drives out (+ve) or in (-ve) but it wont really matter will just test integrity of ur speakers and wires or measure speaker wires wiv ohmeter at head unit end, should expect 4ohms roughly between speaker wires!

let me know how u get on!
Old 13-07-2006, 09:46 AM   #7

thanks glen will do
Old 14-07-2006, 10:09 PM   #8

god knows what was going on with the wirring here, Have removed all old wirring and replaced with direct to speaker rather than shared earth and direct to battery wires all now works.

Thanks for your help Glen just not sure why the old stereo was wirred up like that or how it worked!
Old 14-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #9
Taz

Interests: Boating/Squash
Cruising area: Essex Marina/crouch southeast coast

Are you out 2mo stuart went out this eve well rougth out there!! You could surf on it, Going dwn to tcs chandlery to try get a wake board warly in morn.
Old 14-07-2006, 10:42 PM   #10

yeah will be out at high tide spent all bloody day doing the stereo and launching was well rough today struggleed to get the boat on the mooring! Will bell u tommorrow
Old 16-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #11

no worries dude