Boatmad.com

Go Back   Boatmad.com > Boat Mad | Tech > Technical Q&A
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 21-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #1

Boat make: 1996 STV Euro
Engines: 2.5L 260 ROS

Charging Problem??? SIMONize it!!

I have been going back and forth with solutions to the charging on a 260. I hate having to hook my battery up to a charger every night (either bring the battery in or run a cord from my room) at boating events. I also was jonesin for some tunes in the boat but new I could not run a stereo with the 16amp stator for too long.

Choices: add an additional battery and an additional 40-50lbs somewhere in my boat, or go with the Simon alternator for v6 outboards. http://www.screamandfly.com/home/eva...ternator_1.htm.

at first I was leaning towards the second battery, but in reality I would still have to charge them each night, but now I have two to charge, and really did not want the extra weight. I called Eric Simon after reading the article in the link above- man does that guy know his stuff. Long and short, I got the alternator kit spent about 20 minutes and it was on and running. That thing is a freakin work of art!!!!!!!!! All the parts were perfect and even included a little bottle of loc-tight. I even got him on a Saturday afternoon on the phone to double check something. just bolt on and go.

First class guy, first class product, first class support. Thanks Eric, this thing rocks!!!!!!

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #2

the complete kit...

Old 21-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #3

pic after the alternator is isntalled. BTW, this operates in conjunction with your current stator, not as an alternative..
Old 21-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #4

I guess the link to the evaluation above is not working so here it is again in case anyone wants to read it:

http://www.screamandfly.com/home/eva...ternator_1.htm
Old 23-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #5
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Nice Job!!..very nice job.

How is the belt tension adjusted?

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 12:28 AM   #6

Thanks Jon. there is no built in tensioner, you just put it one alternator and half way on the fly wheel and tun it by hand about a quarter turn and the belt slides on. I was a little worried about that at first, but it fits like a glove. My guess is like any other belt, I should keep an eye on it for wear and slip later on, but the alternator spins so freely that it does not take much tension to turn it.
Old 23-03-2006, 10:31 AM   #7
numbskull

Mebbe a split pulley (the two halves of the 'V') would be the way to go, like it was done on the original Volksvagen beetle. It has shims between the two halves, remove some and the 'V' becomes narrower, forcing the belt to ride farther out from the centre, effectively tightening the belt, adding shims slackens it. I'm sure there'll be a fair load on the belt/Alternator once the Alternator is 'working' to re-charge a near flat battery and as the pulleys & belt wear (i'm assuming the pulleys are Aluminum), they're sure to become a little slack.

It looks a well cool mod and the billet bits are luuuuuvly

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 23-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #8

Boat name: Wildfire IV
Boat make: Sleekcraft 21 exec jr.
Engines: Chevy 454
Cruising area: Turku Archipelago/ Finnish Gulf

Re: Charging Problem??? SIMONize it!!

Quote:
Originally posted by fish
I have been going back and forth with solutions to the charging on a 260. I hate having to hook my battery up to a charger every night (either bring the battery in or run a cord from my room) at boating events. I also was jonesin for some tunes in the boat but new I could not run a stereo with the 16amp stator for too long.

Choices: add an additional battery and an additional 40-50lbs somewhere in my boat, or go with the Simon alternator for v6 outboards. http://www.screamandfly.com/home/eva...ternator_1.htm.

at first I was leaning towards the second battery, but in reality I would still have to charge them each night, but now I have two to charge, and really did not want the extra weight. I called Eric Simon after reading the article in the link above- man does that guy know his stuff. Long and short, I got the alternator kit spent about 20 minutes and it was on and running. That thing is a freakin work of art!!!!!!!!! All the parts were perfect and even included a little bottle of loc-tight. I even got him on a Saturday afternoon on the phone to double check something. just bolt on and go.

First class guy, first class product, first class support. Thanks Eric, this thing rocks!!!!!!

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO
Sounded great!

Huuhhh..Am I going to like eggbeaters????
Yikes
MikeyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #9

Boat make: Cyclone/ Cyclone/Rinker
Engines: Merc 2.5 efi's/300XS/5.0 v8

Wonder what the power loss is, if you are running both stator and alternator ?
Wacky Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #10

I am really not sure what he power loss will be. I would guess 3-4hp, but tat is a total guess. I am not going to put it on a dyno, but I am going to run it back to back with and with out the belt. I am actually thinking that speed wise I will not have much if any loss considering how finiky the efi's can be with getting good juice. I also believe I will be running better at the end of a long day of starting, stopping and trimming with the alternator than without.

that's a good idea about the split pulley's Jon.

I will keep you guys updated as I use this think more and more as to how it works.

fish
Old 23-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #11
numbskull

Once the battery is charged, the alternator really shouldn't be pulling much power from the motor at all. The alternator will of course pull loads'a power when the battery need a good boost, but it will probably be short lived, as the output is I would imagine considerably higher than the stock flywheel charging system.

As I said, a cool mod!..like it.

Old 23-03-2006, 07:54 PM   #12

Boat make: Cyclone/ Cyclone/Rinker
Engines: Merc 2.5 efi's/300XS/5.0 v8

Looks a nice bit of kit. Looking forward to the results of your back to back test
Wacky Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 10:58 PM   #13
jw.

Interests: Hole maker
Boat make: Humber Ocean Offshore
Engines: KAD 300/DPX

50amps @ 14v is 700watts. A bit less than 1hp. Add another for the belt and bearings. And that's at full output. I'd be surprised if you notice a difference. It'll be interesting to hear what you find.