Boatmad.com

Old 01-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #1

Cutting out problems

On it's last outing in 2007 the Wellcraft decided to let me down just outside Cowes suffering what appeared to be "fuel starvation" ie: when run at idle or just over (in gear) would run for 5 - 7mins before cutting out, but if you attempted to get on the plane would cut out after 45 secs or so. which made for a very long trip back to drivers against the tide but after approx 2 1/2 hrs and endless breakdows we made it back.

Over winter all fuel lines were replaced, new filters, anti-syphon valve, fuel pump, breather etc.., plus tank drained (no water or debris found) along with standard service inc distributor cap / rotor arm ( origionals 15yrs old )

First run of the season for me was Friday (full tank of fresh fuel) and the boat run beautifully, nice run over to cowes and numerous runs up / down Soton water at WOT to test without any problems, great i thought problem fixed so planed to return yesterday ( Saturday) with the family to restore thir faith in the Wellcraft.

Started of ok pottering down the river but upon entering soton water i only managed to get on the plane for 30secs when the problem returned,so .. another slow return to drivers against the tide at a max of 2knots cutting out at all the worst possible times made for another great outing !

So anyone got any ideas ? .. Just cuts out instantly, no coughing / spluttering just dies although when at idle or just above you can feel a little "hesitation" before cutting out.

probably something really stupid but its a pain when it only does it at the worst possible times ..

Foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Carb or EFI,
Sounds very much Like a float issue if its a carb, maybe a blockage into the float chamber, rod it out with some wire through the jets & orifices

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #3

Engines: 2.5 OFFSHORE

try checking the the coil,had the same problem on 5.7 mercruiser
2.5 offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFin View Post
Carb or EFI,
Sounds very much Like a float issue if its a carb, maybe a blockage into the float chamber, rod it out with some wire through the jets & orifices
The carb was stripped at the same time as replacing pump etc and was immaculately clean but will be stripping again this weekend .. just in case..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5 offshore View Post
try checking the the coil,had the same problem on 5.7 mercruiser
new coil purchased today & will order replacement electronic ignition kit tomorrow

I am also going to rig up a secondary fuel tank so i can quickly swop over when it cuts out as i still believe it is something in the tank that maybe covering the pickup intermitently, ( would you expect a filter on the end of the pickup or just a stright pipe considering it's a 93 boat ? )

Any other really "obvious" causes i may of overlooked that are worth checking ?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

How certain are you that the tank was completey clean?

has the hallmarks of a piece of something lurking at the bottom of the tank that every now & then, gets sucked against the fuel dip tube, then floats away when the pump stops sucking. Until of course it gets caught again when you re-start. seen it a few times.

edit> just read your last post, sounds like you're on top of it.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:45 PM   #6

if it has an electric fuel pump, try running a temporary feed to it direct from the battery, generaly the pumps have a feed from the starter whilst cranking then once the engine fires and you turn the key back to "run" the oil pressure switch (once oil pressure has built up) will then turn the pump on again.if the engine stalls and you still have oil pressure you should hear the pump running.
ignition modules, coils etc will generaly break down once they heat up so the engine will not start again or run correctly till they cool again. if the 12v feed works then you can either replace your wiring loom or run a feed from a switched 12v source on the engine (coil positive for example) all it will mean is that the pump is running all the time that the key is on.
rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
Lance

Interests: most make boat go faster!
Boat name: have customer key board!!
Boat make: the most horse power
Engines: black is beautiful!! not fussy
Cruising area: if there's boats im there

morning wot rama said is common with electric fuel pumps if yours has one its about that age. The other big problem with american boats is the fitting in the dip pipe where the fuel line goes on has a one way valve in it which do get stuck and cause fuel starvation! Its the barb fitting and the hex part is usually about 1" long unscrew it punch the ball and spring out. If i remember correct the dip pipe on the welcraft is plastic and has a gauze on the end remove and check, if you allready have not.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Not that sure to be honest as i was convinced it was the pump that was at fault, but i plan on emptying the tank again this weekend and will try and see if i can find anything through the sender hole (got an electic pump to connect and pump tank out with "bow up" hopefully it will re-create the problem and i will see a marked lack of flow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rama View Post
if it has an electric fuel pump,
Manual pump i'm afraid which was replaced in Feburary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
The other big problem with american boats is the fitting in the dip pipe where the fuel line goes on has a one way valve in it which do get stuck and cause fuel starvation!
The anti-syphon valve was one of the first things i removed and replaced with a straight through and a fuel tap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
If i remember correct the dip pipe on the welcraft is plastic and has a gauze on the end remove and check, if you allready have not
I will remove and check when the tank gets drained at the weekend .. not that easy to get to though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	16212  
Old 02-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #9

Boat name: Johnny-Rude
Boat make: a few
Engines: Seagull with hi five prop

was the tank sender removed and the screws resealed in again with silicon?
Old 27-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post

has the hallmarks of a piece of something lurking at the bottom of the tank that every now & then, gets sucked against the fuel dip tube, then floats away when the pump stops sucking. Until of course it gets caught again when you re-start. seen it a few times.

edit> just read your last post, sounds like you're on top of it.
Well at last i've found something whilst peering through the sender hole today i thought i saw something so armed with a "long grab" i went fishing and pulled out a 5" piece of insulation tape..
Old 27-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #11
v8.

Engines: V8

Fingers crossed then!

v8. is offline   Reply With Quote