Go Back   Boatmad.com > Boat Mad | Tech > Technical Q&A
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 24-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Trade Member

Interests: ACCELERATION (anykind )

DANGER WILL ROBINSON #5 Top crank bearing

DANGER WILL ROBINSON #5 Top crank bearing

Just reminded me about a tip I can forward with the post on TYGON . I have always lubed the top crank bearing with a few shots of undiluted 2 cycle oil from a pump style oil can before I went into the water before a race. I find peace of mind by removing the feed line at the top bearing check valve and giving that bearing a squirt or two of REAL undiluted oil before the session then I replace the tubing after the bearing lube process is finished and the top bearing is pre lubed...

I have on the last several 2.5 High Performance engines last few weeks installed one of the larger ( OD-ID ) oil tees
( Mcmaster-Carr part number 5463K181 ) in line at the top of that line at an easy access point and on the "bull head side" of the tee I install a rubber cap I suggest to the customers to remove the rubber cap and pre oil the bearing when they think about it or when a specific load is going to be put on the engine ( a race or weekend recreational session )

I also remove the suction line at the plenium air barb and fill those line up with oil with the pump can also oiling the middle mains with REAL oil, I then apply slight air pressure to the plenium tubing and observe this oil going into the bearing suction tubing. This process will also confirm that your are getting lube flow from the bottom of the two bores through your middle bearings and as in the upper process it oils the middle mains with the non deluted oil...

Dunno if I can say this has proved successful in saving my cranks but I've NEVER had a failed upper crank bearing with a motor I have done this to...

Just my .02
Jay
Jay Smith is offline   Reply With Quote