Boatmad.com

Old 04-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #81

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

Brilliant. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love this boat!!
So good to see someone else diving in and making major changes to their boat in their own back yard! I so hope this boat turns out to be everything you hope it'll be, you've put so much work in and seem to have learnt so much! I'm very impressed with your glasswork!

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #82
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

I suppose it would have been too easy to use the Yanmar BY260 which is already 3 litre, 260 hp and marinised? Then again where would the challenge have been!

Our thoughts on the Cougar is that the hulls stress crack either side of the bulkheads as the hull flexes, I think I would make sure you minimise the flexing between bulkheads especially with the extra weight in the boat.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #83

I suppose it would have been too easy to use the Yanmar BY260 which is already 3 litre, 260 hp and marinised? Then again where would the challenge have been!

IMHO the Mercedes diesel engine is one of the strongest and most reliable engines and good for ¼ million miles plus.

The Mercedes V6 engine will only just go through the hole where the outboard well was, the VW equivalent with heat exchangers mounted would not go through the hole, so nor would a strait six engine. It might be possible to fit a straight six engine but would have meant loosing the rear seats and moving the rib in front of the engine forward.

I have designed the engine setup so it is easy to remove or replace engine. ECU, raw water heat exchanger and charge cooler stay attached to the boat So to remove the engine, undo two ECU plugs, remove flow and return sealed cooling pipes, fuel flow and return are on bayonet fittings remove two engine mount nuts, remove two transom plate bolts, remove battery connections. Engine out in 20mins.

Low mileage engines are around £1000 to £1500 and are use in most Mercedes and Crysler’s vehicles, it’s a very common engine.

With all aluminum construction and cast in Iron liners it is the lightest 3 liter diesel engine at 210Kg + raw water heat exchanger and charge cooler 20Kg as opposed to the Yanmar at 310Kg gives a saving of 80Kg.

I believe the engine is good for 280hp reliably or 350hp for racing and scrap it at the end of a season. And if you scrap it at the end of a season just run with raw water trough it. 210kg and 350hp would make a very cheap lightweight engine. If you run two engines a season at £3000 would be cheap racing. The down side is that they will only produce 240hp with standard turbo as it is so closely matched to the engine

Our thoughts on the Cougar is that the hulls stress crack either side of the bulkheads as the hull flexes, I think I would make sure you minimize the flexing between bulkheads especially with the extra weight in the boat.

The front half of the hull, dash forward had already been strengthened and I have strengthened the rear half. I was also inspired by your construction using the Kevlar between the screen’s on the Bananashark and have reinforced the lip of the bulkhead that I removed with kevlar roving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image006.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	31620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image007.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	31621  
PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #84
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Sounds like a bargain and worth the effort - in the Marathon classes we have to run a production marine engine so that would not be an option for us - great project though!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #85

Interests: lots
Boat make: scorpion 8.1
Engines: 250HO
Cruising area: solent

that kevlar looks hard work??? I love this boat... Kepp up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy21 View Post

IMHO the Mercedes diesel engine is one of the strongest and most reliable engines and good for ¼ million miles plus.

The Mercedes V6 engine will only just go through the hole where the outboard well was, the VW equivalent with heat exchangers mounted would not go through the hole, so nor would a strait six engine. It might be possible to fit a straight six engine but would have meant loosing the rear seats and moving the rib in front of the engine forward.

I have designed the engine setup so it is easy to remove or replace engine. ECU, raw water heat exchanger and charge cooler stay attached to the boat So to remove the engine, undo two ECU plugs, remove flow and return sealed cooling pipes, fuel flow and return are on bayonet fittings remove two engine mount nuts, remove two transom plate bolts, remove battery connections. Engine out in 20mins.

Low mileage engines are around £1000 to £1500 and are use in most Mercedes and Crysler’s vehicles, it’s a very common engine.

With all aluminum construction and cast in Iron liners it is the lightest 3 liter diesel engine at 210Kg + raw water heat exchanger and charge cooler 20Kg as opposed to the Yanmar at 310Kg gives a saving of 80Kg.

I believe the engine is good for 280hp reliably or 350hp for racing and scrap it at the end of a season. And if you scrap it at the end of a season just run with raw water trough it. 210kg and 350hp would make a very cheap lightweight engine. If you run two engines a season at £3000 would be cheap racing. The down side is that they will only produce 240hp with standard turbo as it is so closely matched to the engine

Our thoughts on the Cougar is that the hulls stress crack either side of the bulkheads as the hull flexes, I think I would make sure you minimize the flexing between bulkheads especially with the extra weight in the boat.

The front half of the hull, dash forward had already been strengthened and I have strengthened the rear half. I was also inspired by your construction using the Kevlar between the screen’s on the Bananashark and have reinforced the lip of the bulkhead that I removed with kevlar roving.
glen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:29 AM   #86

Thread moved to General Boating Discussion

This thread has now been moved to General Boating Discussion

At the link below

boatmad.com/forum/showthread.php?p=208797#post208797

PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote