Boatmad.com

Old 21-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #1

Drive height Honda Cougar 225 inboard convertion

Can anyone give me some advice please on drive height. I have a Honda Cougar 225 stepped plane hull which I am converting to inboard Mercedes V6 turbo diesel. The drive I have is a Bravo 1 with IMCO 2 inch shorty. It is to be used for sports pleasure and may be some poker runs.

I was thinking may be having the anti ventilation plate 1 inch above the bottom of the boat, however with the IMCO 2 inch shorty this would raise the prop shaft 3 inches in total, will this cause a problem getting on the plane.

Can any one give me some advise on setting up this type of hull and does any one know what height they run standard with outboard.

Kind regards

David

PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #2

Interests: lots
Boat make: scorpion 8.1
Engines: 250HO
Cruising area: solent

got any pics??

glen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen76 View Post
got any pics??
Only got pick of parts ready to install as still unsure about drive height.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image012.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	22640   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0101.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	22641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image005.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	22642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image01a2.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	22643  
Old 05-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #4

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy21 View Post
Only got pick of parts ready to install as still unsure about drive height.
Hi I can't help with height but I work for a Mercedes dealership if you need any help with wiring this up we have a very knowledgable tecky/electric expert(definateley not me) that if you bung him a few quid would I'm sure help out.Nic
NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
Hi I can't help with height but I work for a Mercedes dealership if you need any help with wiring this up we have a very knowledgable tecky/electric expert(definateley not me) that if you bung him a few quid would I'm sure help out.Nic
Many thanks Nic I will bear that in mind, I have a wiring digram but i dont think it will be quite that simple.

Regards David
Old 07-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #6

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Quote:
Many thanks Nic I will bear that in mind, I have a wiring digram but i dont think it will be quite that simple.

Regards David
I think getting it running should be staight forward-keeping it running is the problem-they have sensors for just about everthing and will put it into LIMP MODE(Reduced Power) for the slightest reason,this is what you need to have correctly wired.Give me a call if you need help.Nic
NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
I think getting it running should be staight forward-keeping it running is the problem-they have sensors for just about everthing and will put it into LIMP MODE(Reduced Power) for the slightest reason,this is what you need to have correctly wired.Give me a call if you need help.Nic
replace the sensors with the same value resistors and pull the wool over the ECU's eyes...just keep the important ones to moniter fuel and timing perameters
baj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baj666 View Post
replace the sensors with the same value resistors and pull the wool over the ECU's eyes...just keep the important ones to moniter fuel and timing perameters
I am under no illusion what so ever how complicated the ECU will be, it wont be as simple as pulling the wool over its eye’s. I have a E320 3.2L straight 6 which is the predecessor to this engine, the ECU’s are tricky. I will also have to include the diagnostic plug into the new loom to download and clear any fault codes. Luckily I have access to the Snap On computer, but realy the best one is the Star system that Merc use but I think they are around 15 grand.

Stilll, it should be a good engine and can be tuned to 270bhp. It is the lightest and only all aluminium diesel weighing at 210Kg
Old 09-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
I am under no illusion what so ever how complicated the ECU will be, it wont be as simple as pulling the wool over its eye’s. I have a E320 3.2L straight 6 which is the predecessor to this engine, the ECU’s are tricky. I will also have to include the diagnostic plug into the new loom to download and clear any fault codes. Luckily I have access to the Snap On computer, but realy the best one is the Star system that Merc use but I think they are around 15 grand.

Stilll, it should be a good engine and can be tuned to 270bhp. It is the lightest and only all aluminium diesel weighing at 210Kg
The 3 litre Yanmar weighs 315 kilos and is 260hp out of the box - it also comes ready to go, but I guess that wouldn't be a challenge!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #10

Quote:

oh in that case ide put a mk2 cortina engine in..a lot easier
baj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
The 3 litre Yanmar weighs 315 kilos and is 260hp out of the box - it also comes ready to go, but I guess that wouldn't be a challenge!
I must say 315Kg and 260hp is pretty respectable, am I right in thinking that that is the its based on the Toyota Land Cruiser engine ?

For my application being V6 it is quite short and should allow me to leave the rear seats and bulkhead in the original position. I am also trying to keap the weight to a minimum.

The original 225hp Honda outboard weighed 276Kg, my engine weighs 210kg + 100kg for Bravo drive + 25kg for 2 x stainless heat exchangers and aluminium charge cooler. Total 335kg, however I wont need to carry so much fuel as diesel is more efficient and as I am changing from outboard to inboard and moving the weight further forward so wont need to use the front ballast tank. So should come out with similar performance to the original race boats.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by baj666 View Post
oh in that case ide put a mk2 cortina engine in..a lot easier
Hmmmm, there are some very lightweight all aluminium V8 petrol engines out there. The Audi engines range from 300 to 400hp, simple after market ECU and ignition would make a simple convention and a ballistic boat, but then you are back to a gas guzzler.

One nice thing about the engine I am using is that it has a 200 amp alternator as standard.

200A x 13.8V = 2760 watts using an inverter with 0.9% efficiency gives 2403 watts.

So will have 240v mains at 2kw and not have to have a separate generator, I will be able to boil a kettle and make toast in the mornings.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #13

Interests: sailing ribing
Boat name: llyn raider
Boat make: 7m xs rib
Engines: 200 merc opti
Cruising area: n wales

sounds like a great project you have for your self that should leave you with an exelent boat at the end of it. with the engine mounted low in the boat giving a low center of gravity hopefully it will reduce their tendancy to roll.
has anyone answered the original question as well? i havent a clue but possibly ask the question on the honda website if their is one.
Best of luck though it sounds like you know what your doing.
Andy
Old 10-12-2009, 12:37 AM   #14

Interests: Yodelling
Boat name: Veni Vidi Vici or Conked
Boat make: G.P.14
Engines: 4h.p. Mercury
Cruising area: Cap de Agde

Quote:
I must say 315Kg and 260hp is pretty respectable, am I right in thinking that that is the its based on the Toyota Land Cruiser engine ?

For my application being V6 it is quite short and should allow me to leave the rear seats and bulkhead in the original position. I am also trying to keap the weight to a minimum.

The original 225hp Honda outboard weighed 276Kg, my engine weighs 210kg + 100kg for Bravo drive + 25kg for 2 x stainless heat exchangers and aluminium charge cooler. Total 335kg, however I wont need to carry so much fuel as diesel is more efficient and as I am changing from outboard to inboard and moving the weight further forward so wont need to use the front ballast tank. So should come out with similar performance to the original race boats.
Should be a lot more stable as your rear end is going to be in the water a lot more,are you fitting tabs aswell?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #15

Interests: Yodelling
Boat name: Veni Vidi Vici or Conked
Boat make: G.P.14
Engines: 4h.p. Mercury
Cruising area: Cap de Agde

Another thought,Steve Hutch has recently rigged his own boat,a 26 Adam Younger stepped hull,same beam as yours with an in board,very similar boat,similar weight,length,beam,design,give him a call,he has already done the job,might save you some headaches
Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdy View Post
Should be a lot more stable as your rear end is going to be in the water a lot more,are you fitting tabs aswell?
Not sure about trim tabs yet, I think I will probably get it up and running first and see how it performs. The hull is quite unusual at the rear end as it almost has a box transom on the back, it would be interesting to find out why they were designed in such a way. It almost look like they were made to have them fitted.

What is the difference between having them fitted horizontally or in line with the 'V' ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image004.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	22683  
Old 10-12-2009, 01:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdy View Post
Another thought,Steve Hutch has recently rigged his own boat,a 26 Adam Younger stepped hull,same beam as yours with an in board,very similar boat,similar weight,length,beam,design,give him a call,he has already done the job,might save you some headaches
Thanks Dowdy, would you know where I could get in toch with him or is he on Boatmad, if so do you know his user name so may be I could PM him.

Regards David
Old 10-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #18
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
No it's the 3 litre BMW common rail motor with a different turbo and a wastegate

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #19

Boat make: Baba
Engines: 200xs

heres the link for the yanmar 260 spec

http://www.yanmarmarine.co.uk/pdfs/data/6BY260.pdf
pro-rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Quote:
Thanks Dowdy, would you know where I could get in toch with him or is he on Boatmad, if so do you know his user name so may be I could PM him.

Regards David

Steveh

Burty is offline   Reply With Quote