Boatmad.com

Old 28-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #41

Boat name: purple haze
Boat make: vector xr 24
Engines: cosworth yb turbo 300

gph

I,m still trying to get an idea of my fuel consumption i keep ending up with a full tank,took out 100ltr before I ran on sunday and ran for 1hr. Of that 40 mins wot at 1 bar boost should be 270 at crank, still not switched to reserve i think the tanks 210ltr but Im not sure as i ran out of cans to pump the fuel out into,but at least i dont need to buy any fuel for a little while.

cosworth mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosworth mirage View Post
I,m still trying to get an idea of my fuel consumption i keep ending up with a full tank,took out 100ltr before I ran on sunday and ran for 1hr. Of that 40 mins wot at 1 bar boost should be 270 at crank, still not switched to reserve i think the tanks 210ltr but Im not sure as i ran out of cans to pump the fuel out into,but at least i dont need to buy any fuel for a little while.
p.s have been putting 30ltr in each time i test

Am i right in that the diesel is much more economic under a light to medium throttle due to it being able to run with a very weak mixture ratio fuel to air unlike petrol which needs the 1-14 ratio for all running conditions if so is there much of a gain wot with a diesel over a petrol of the same power ? has anyone retro fitted diesels and got the same speed as the petrol,s and saved on fuel ?.

Old 28-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosworth mirage View Post
p.s have been putting 30ltr in each time i test

Am i right in that the diesel is much more economic under a light to medium throttle due to it being able to run with a very weak mixture ratio fuel to air unlike petrol which needs the 1-14 ratio for all running conditions if so is there much of a gain wot with a diesel over a petrol of the same power ? has anyone retro fitted diesels and got the same speed as the petrol,s and saved on fuel ?.
what i believe about oil burners is they burn depending on diesel pump speed and not how much the throttle is open...in a diesel road car or van you could toddle around with your foot on the floor and it makes no diference unlike petrol which burns according to air going in...not talking about very modern efi and cdi motors here as thats another chapter all together
baj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #44
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Well my 325's burn around 15gph flat out. The equivilent small block petrol, say a 350mag mpi, or 6.2mpi will use 25gph flat out (at least) maybe 30. I think diesel has a higher calorific value.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #45

Interests: Boats, boats and boats
Boat name: Patriot and Forca
Boat make: Phantom 21. Falcon Bonito 36
Engines: 200hp Mariner. 2 x GM 6.5 Twin Turbo Diesels
Cruising area: The Med

PS, anyone got a TRS manual, for parts, repairs, problems, etc?

Pete
Peterjfinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Well my 325's burn around 15gph flat out. The equivilent small block petrol, say a 350mag mpi, or 6.2mpi will use 25gph flat out (at least) maybe 30. I think diesel has a higher calorific value.
But the extra weight of the diesel set up must slow the boat compared to the petrol of the same power even allowing for the extra fuel say 3hrs run wot with 2 engines = 300 kilo,s extra fuel + the diesel fuel is about 12% heavier for the same amount -60kgs only 240kgs extra fuel compared with the extra mass of the diesel motors ?

not saying its not the way forward just be interesting to see how the same boat goes with the extra weight of diesel engines.
Old 31-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #47

slower then
Old 02-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #48
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Dunno. can only tell you that roger severy has a P28, like mine (same basic build spec) with a pair of 350mag mpi's. they claim 330hp at the crank, I suspect they're a little less than that. his boat is about 2500kg's

mine is 3100kg's same drives, in same position (height, centres etc) my engines are 325 crankshaft hp, or they were when they were new.

Roger and I had a side by side dash on a poker run when my boat was new (and his motors were still std, they're now supercharged) and there was no measurable difference between them over a couple of mile dash top speed wise, though his does handle better than mine, as his balance is better.

so, he burns circa 50-60 galls per hour flat out, I burn circa 30 galls per hour flat out.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #49

Hi All,

Any chance we could get back to the original reason for the thread, Please. Still looking for information on these engines and drives, Please.

Pete
Old 03-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #50

Interests: boats/bodybuilding/my boys
Boat name: Scarab Racing
Boat make: Scarab 27
Engines: Yanmar 315
Cruising area: South coast

Hi Pete
Have you seen these 315 yanmars

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YANMAR-6LP-315...item1c14609902

Just a thought if your looking for diesel engines very reliable good power to weight ratio and with newer drives than your trs.

If your comming over to look at the other engines might be worth a detoure to look at these,
scarab racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #51

Hi Sxarab,

Yes I did see themo a few weeks ago. I spoke with the guy a few times. Aparently they are a few years old. I did search a lot about them and found that a few years ago, there was a big pronlem with the exhaust valves. Aparently there was court action against Yanmar, about this problem. I have been told, that sealine removed them because of this problem. I did explain that I would have to consider the cost of replacing the (possible) faulty parts, when making an offer. This is what the guy has already told me about them.
"HI,
Not sure on wieght,you can look up on internet,we had 4 of these engines, they were removed from sealine boats, sealine had issues with wrong power etc a few years back so there were many yanmar engines going around for a while,these have been in storage for some time as were were saving for project,i run 1 myself in 26ft extreme and its great, both engines are in pics already you can see some flaking of paint on top manifold, the other still look like new, you can hear them both run aswell,
regards

"HI,
FEEL FREE TO MAKE SENSIBLE OFFER, REF THE VALVE PROBLEM, I AND SOME FREINDS HAVE RUN SAME ENGINES FOR YEARS AND NEVER HAD THE PROBLEM,IT SEEMS FROM READING ABOUT IT THE PROBLEM APPEARS MORE ON BOATS PUSHING OFF PLANE FOR TO LONG AROUND 1500 REVS ON EDGE OF TURBO, MAYBE THE HEAT CAUSES VALVE EXPANSION,
SORRY FOR DELAYED REPLY ONLY JUST SEEN MSGS.
REGARDS"