Boatmad.com

Old 29-06-2013, 01:43 AM   #1

Help, Bravo 1 Trim limit switch intallation

I was just reading on the web about the Bravo 1 trim limit switch.

"Theory of Operation:
The Trim Limit Switch is a safety device which keeps the driver from over-trimming while under way. Trimming the drive too high while under way can cause damage, injury or death. The Trim Sender Switch is used to send a signal to the Trim Gauge so you can see the level of the drive."

If I was using a standard Mercruiser setup with Mercruiser controls, would this trim limit switch only be effective when the the gearbox is in drive ?

Or on other words when in neutral the trim limit switch would be ineffective ?

In a racing setup would this switch be ignored and the limit up and down is set by the effective mechanical travel distance of the trim rams?

Thanks in advance for advice

PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #2

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy21 View Post
I was just reading on the web about the Bravo 1 trim limit switch.

"Theory of Operation:
The Trim Limit Switch is a safety device which keeps the driver from over-trimming while under way. Trimming the drive too high while under way can cause damage, injury or death. The Trim Sender Switch is used to send a signal to the Trim Gauge so you can see the level of the drive."

If I was using a standard Mercruiser setup with Mercruiser controls, would this trim limit switch only be effective when the the gearbox is in drive ?

Or on other words when in neutral the trim limit switch would be ineffective ?

In a racing setup would this switch be ignored and the limit up and down is set by the effective mechanical travel distance of the trim rams?

Thanks in advance for advice
On my old boat with a Alpha1 the limit switch prevented the trim going too high with the drive shaft turning and damaging UJ's,you still had plenty of trim movement for boat set up it just stopped it going to high and mine had a trailer switch which allowed you to raise the leg past the limit,from memory it worked with ignition on and no difference from being in gear or not, I hope this helps

NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
On my old boat with a Alpha1 the limit switch prevented the trim going too high with the drive shaft turning and damaging UJ's,you still had plenty of trim movement for boat set up it just stopped it going to high and mine had a trailer switch which allowed you to raise the leg past the limit,from memory it worked with ignition on and no difference from being in gear or not, I hope this helps
I see, may be that is the way forward two switches. Cockpit trim switch that is connected via the limit switch and a trim switch near the transom that is direct control to give full travel.
Old 29-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Captain slow

Boat name: terminal velocity no.120
Boat make: phantom20
Engines: 2.5efi smillin jack
Cruising area: solent

Or just disconnect the fail safe,and feel the trim your adding? Could put a mechanical gauge so you know where's where. Just a thought.
andymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #5

You need to set the limit switch so that at max trim the distance between the centres of the trim ram pins is 22" (I think, but i'd need to check) at max, any more than this and you risk ripping the drive off the back of the boat!!!!!!!

Normally a rocker type switch is used for trim, and a seperate push button is used for tilt. It's not a good idea to use the tilt switch whilst under way.
Marinautic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinautic View Post
...any more than this and you risk ripping the drive off the back of the boat!!!!!!!
Reckon we got away with murder '95-'97!

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Reckon we got away with murder '95-'97!
lol
Marinautic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinautic View Post
You need to set the limit switch so that at max trim the distance between the centres of the trim ram pins is 22" (I think, but i'd need to check) at max, any more than this and you risk ripping the drive off the back of the boat!!!!!!!

Normally a rocker type switch is used for trim, and a seperate push button is used for tilt. It's not a good idea to use the tilt switch whilst under way.
Ok, many thanks got the drift now. Trim via limit switch in cockpit, tilt switch on transom. Just check, limit switch 21 3/4 ram center to center.

Thanks