Boatmad.com

Old 26-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #1

Honda Cougar 225

I am looking for a new boat project and have been looking at the Honda Cougar 225 hull at a starting point as they really are a stunning looking boat and seem to perform really well. I am not into racing and it will be used for pleasure.

All though I am an engineer boat dynamics setup and design are not really something I know much about. I have noticed from the video’s below that this hull engine combination have a tendency dig in, roll and spit its crew out.

Without starting a bitching match about designers, teams or drivers I was wondering if any one has any constructive theories or comments on why this specific combination seems to have this tendency to roll more so than other race boat combinations.

I have studied the video’s many times and it seems to be mainly when they get in the wake or dirty water of another boat. I was wondering if it may be because they are narrow and have a big top heavy motor almost level with the deck, or is it something to do with prop torque.

If this is the case I was wondering what would reduce their tendency to roll and make them more stable. What if one was fitted with 250-300hp Yanmar or Steyr marine diesel. Although the weight would reduce the speed there would possibly be a trade of moving the engine weight forward and would not need water ballast up front. Would this lower the C of G and make the hull more stable.

Also what if one was fitted with an inboard and single surface drive or would this make problems worse as only the bottom half of the prop would be in the water with a single drive would this cause prop walk and make matters worse.

Now from reading the forums I know there are some very clever people out there with many years experience of boats and racing and I would be grateful for any comments or theories.

PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #2

Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Boat make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engines: Verado 350 Sci
Cruising area: Ebay

Hi, best bet is to phone Cougar and tell them your plans. The fitted a 250 HO etec on one recently and it completley changed the boat into something a bit special.

TonyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
/280

Interests: Motorsport

sounds like a facinating project . Just wondering was the cougar 225 initially designed to be an inboard boat?

Having looked in the rear hatch many times it seems like it could fit an engine in and was designed to have 1 in.
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy21 View Post
I am looking for a new boat project and have been looking at the Honda Cougar 225 hull at a starting point as they really are a stunning looking boat and seem to perform really well. I am not into racing and it will be used for pleasure.

All though I am an engineer boat dynamics setup and design are not really something I know much about. I have noticed from the video’s below that this hull engine combination have a tendency dig in, roll and spit its crew out.

Without starting a bitching match about designers, teams or drivers I was wondering if any one has any constructive theories or comments on why this specific combination seems to have this tendency to roll more so than other race boat combinations.

I have studied the video’s many times and it seems to be mainly when they get in the wake or dirty water of another boat. I was wondering if it may be because they are narrow and have a big top heavy motor almost level with the deck, or is it something to do with prop torque.

If this is the case I was wondering what would reduce their tendency to roll and make them more stable. What if one was fitted with 250-300hp Yanmar or Steyr marine diesel. Although the weight would reduce the speed there would possibly be a trade of moving the engine weight forward and would not need water ballast up front. Would this lower the C of G and make the hull more stable.

Also what if one was fitted with an inboard and single surface drive or would this make problems worse as only the bottom half of the prop would be in the water with a single drive would this cause prop walk and make matters worse.

Now from reading the forums I know there are some very clever people out there with many years experience of boats and racing and I would be grateful for any comments or theories.
If you're not racing it you won't have to worry about rolling it! I have driven but not raced one, and an inboard diesel would calm it down and probably make it a good boat - Single surface drive would be interesting, you don't see that very often!

Inspect the hull very carefully of any boat you look at - most of them have had repairs at some stage in their lives!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #5

Interests: lots
Boat make: scorpion 8.1
Engines: 250HO
Cruising area: solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
sounds like a facinating project . Just wondering was the cougar 225 initially designed to be an inboard boat?

Having looked in the rear hatch many times it seems like it could fit an engine in and was designed to have 1 in.
the r8 rib is same hull, i believe they do an inboard called an r9 or something similar
glen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #6

Interests: Bikes, boats and engines etc.
Boat make: Cobra RIB
Engines: Mercury Optimax
Cruising area: Solent

I did and engine service on one last year, had a good look round it and liked what I saw, a bit sparse (empty race boat) but lots of potential, so I reckon you have a good idea...

What sort of of £s are they?