Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 24-08-2009, 06:20 AM   #1

Interests: Heavy Heavy Metal
Boat name: Slayer II, Slayer, Pen15
Boat make: Phantom 19G-R, Bernico F2 Extreme, Ring 15
Engines: Evinrude 115HO, Yam 90
Cruising area: Channel Islands

Mariner 200 Offshore, what powerhead?

I know of a very nice RIB with a 200 Offshore Mariner that I could get very cheap(I think the engine is around '99), unfortunately though water got into the fuel at some point and it's pretty knackered....

What would fit? Am I right in thinking Mercs were the same then? More power would be nice if it's possible

Paul E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 06:56 AM   #2

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

If it's the one i'm thinking of, then it's a 2.5 carb motor, great engines in my opinion! Merc did exactly the same engine at the same time, also called a 200 offshore.
I'd imagine the front end from a 2.4 carb bridgeport could be fitted on, along with a set of boyeson reeds and a bit of exhaust porting could see a few more hp. I've got both at mine as it happens.
Any idea what the damage was from the water?

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #3

Interests: Boating/4x4s/Fast Cars
Boat name: Namotu
Boat make: Extreme 24
Engines: 383 Mag Stroker
Cruising area: Channel Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E View Post
I know of a very nice RIB with a 200 Offshore Mariner that I could get very cheap(I think the engine is around '99), unfortunately though water got into the fuel at some point and it's pretty knackered....

What would fit? Am I right in thinking Mercs were the same then? More power would be nice if it's possible
She's not a blue rib down at leree is she?
Old 24-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy21 View Post
She's not a blue rib down at leree is she?
No, but I have looked at that one too a while back. The hull is very chipped tatty, tubes are worn and coming away and it needs rigging, although the 200 horse Merc in the guy's van looked absolutely mint.

The one I'm thinking of is an Osprey (dunno if that's the one you're thinking of Larby, I've seen you round there!), supposedly brilliant hulls. My old man spoke to one of the guys at M&G, as they'd looked at the motor and the conclusion was major bearing damage amongst other things, and it was better off to replace the whole lot, which to be fair is probably in M&G's best interests...
Old 24-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Trade Member

Interests: ACCELERATION (anykind )

If water was introduced into the front of the engine ( crab or injectors ) most likely your looking at ruined needle bearings, crank, rods and wrist pins.. As long as you go into the purchase with this knowledge in mind .... I've never seen a motor that had a water in the fuel situation and afterwards let set that these parts weren't toast! If you are getting it super cheap so that these parts can be bought and still be a "good" deal go for it ...

My .02
Jay
Jay Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Smith View Post
If water was introduced into the front of the engine ( crab or injectors ) most likely your looking at ruined needle bearings, crank, rods and wrist pins.. As long as you go into the purchase with this knowledge in mind .... I've never seen a motor that had a water in the fuel situation and afterwards let set that these parts weren't toast! If you are getting it super cheap so that these parts can be bought and still be a "good" deal go for it ...

My .02
Jay
Thanks Jay, what sort of price roughly do you think would be reasonable to sort out the water in fuel mishap? I have a good mate that's an outboard engineer for the Yamaha dealership, so he'd be doing the work along with me, so labour isn't an issue. I definitely think I could make it worth my while and have a kick ass boat at the end of it
Old 24-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
Trade Member

According to what vintage your prospect motor is... Most used oiler cranks in good shape in the states are $350.00 and up , the rods ( fishing motor grade used ) are $200.00 and up, a complete set of high performance bearings are $400.00 ish Gaskets (all) are $250.00 ish a set of wrist pins $60.00 a set...

All these prices are a guess using a 2.5 style engine as the suspect motor..
If carbed they need to be rebuilt , if injected the injectors need to go to Brucato to be rebuilt and calibrated......

Good luck,
Jay
Old 25-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
According to what vintage your prospect motor is... Most used oiler cranks in good shape in the states are $350.00 and up , the rods ( fishing motor grade used ) are $200.00 and up, a complete set of high performance bearings are $400.00 ish Gaskets (all) are $250.00 ish a set of wrist pins $60.00 a set...

All these prices are a guess using a 2.5 style engine as the suspect motor..
If carbed they need to be rebuilt , if injected the injectors need to go to Brucato to be rebuilt and calibrated......

Good luck,
Jay
I think that's pretty do-able, the only thing I'd be worried about is that it's been sat in a field for at least 2 years, and I doubt any kind of work was done to winterize the engine or prepare it to be laid up for so long

Would it not be easier to just replace the entire powerhead with a used or reconditioned unit? Assuming the mid section and gearbox are good...

Thanks again for the help Jay
Old 25-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
Trade Member

Paul ,
If the motor was left outside I'd guess with water introduced in it YEARS ago and no action taken to prevent damage its toast... I'm sure the bores are rusted also. Might be better looking for a reman. rotater. Also if the cowling has been left off I'm sure even the electrics are weathered quite bad...

I barreled rolled a race boat one year and dislocated my shoulder . Motor went under ( Brackish water ) Even with a bum wing with my limited help and instructions I had my Wife and Dad tear down the motor and give every thing rotating an oil bath BEFORE I went to the Hospital... The shoulder can wait needle bearings cant !

Jay
Old 25-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Paul ,
If the motor was left outside I'd guess with water introduced in it YEARS ago and no action taken to prevent damage its toast... I'm sure the bores are rusted also. Might be better looking for a reman. rotater. Also if the cowling has been left off I'm sure even the electrics are weathered quite bad...

I barreled rolled a race boat one year and dislocated my shoulder . Motor went under ( Brackish water ) Even with a bum wing with my limited help and instructions I had my Wife and Dad tear down the motor and give every thing rotating an oil bath BEFORE I went to the Hospital... The shoulder can wait needle bearings cant !

Jay
Glad to see you have your priorities right!! I used to race downhill mountainbikes and the first thing I'd check after a big off was my bike, then worry about what hurt where

Does anyone have any ideas on a good place to get a recon unit? USA may not be a problem also as my brother is about to import a car from California, I could get it chucked in the same container
Old 25-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #11

In that case, you need a JSRE special.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote