Boatmad.com

Old 04-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #1

Marinising diesel Mercedes OM642 engine

This thread is continued from

http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19967&page=2

Regarding marinising of Mercedes OM642 3 litre V6 turbo diesel engine. For anyone interested this engine is an all aluminium with cast iron liners, the lightest in its class at 210Kg and 225hp standard.

reelspooler
"Dave,

What are you using for the throttle mechanism?

Did you convert the factory throttle body to a mechanical unit and run a cable to the binnacle or are you using fly by wire T/Body connected to a digital throttle system?"

reelspooler

"Sorry my bad.......

I will revise the question, do you use the standard Mercedes TPS system, usually mounted with the accelerator pedal assembly?
And if so, how is it used? I would like to use a Mercury binnacle with DTS if this is possible."

@ Dave, do you know if the ECU you purchased will allow for the adoption of a DTS binnacle type system?

Hi Luke

The OM642 engine does have a servo controlled throttle body, controlled by the original engine ECU. I believe this is to reduce emissions for road vehicle’s to meet. Euro 4 and 5 standards. As the engine is to be in a boat where emission standards are less stringent the throttle body is removed as it will serve no function in a boat.

The throttling of the engine is controlled by how much fuel is injected calculated by the ECU. The ECU signal impute for throttle is fly by wire, in other words is controlled by a potentiometer. The Simtek stand alone ECU can be can be programmed to accept a signal input from almost any fly by wire automotive foot throttle position sensor (TPS). The TPS used on mine is from VW part no. 1J1 721 727 this has a mechanical linkage to my marine foot throttle and hand throttle. Or there is another company which manufactures pedals and levers etc which might have a more appropriate product for the purpose which Simtek have there details.

As for using Mercruiser DTS Binnacal system with this set up, you would have to speak to Mercruised technical and ask them if this system can be interfaced with any fly by wire engine, or is dedicated to Mercruiser engines.

My own opinion with boats is keep it simple and use as little electronics as possible, less prone to falure, easyier to fix, less prone to ingress of salt water.

Regards David

PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #2

Boat make: Phantom 23

Send a message via MSN to RossM
Whats approximate cost of using these engine in a boat e.g engine, turbos, ECU (and mapping if required??)

RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #3

New engine is £14K, second hand £2k very low mileage, 50-70k miles £1200 to £1500. There are people that say they can reprogram the original ECU and willing to take your money until you say I want see it running before I hand over my money. Believe me I have been down this route and I have never seen one converted to stand alone and run to full power on a dyno. Stand alone Simtek ECU turn key £3k plus vat, connected up to the engine, push the start button, throttled straight up to full power on the dyno.

http://www.bodylogicuk.com/90265/inf...=10&cat=327172
PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #4

Thanks Dave..

I'll have a word to Simtek and see what they suggest, not overly fussed if it is Mechanical or electrical binnacle, i just like the look of the DTS system from mercury.

On your system, is the gearbox mechanically shifted into drive/reverse or is it done electronically.
Please explain the process (if mechanically, is there a separate lever to engage drive?)

Also, did you consider using a Volvo Penta leg before settling on the mercruiser?

I am tossing up between a new penta leg or a bravo 3 (diesel version)

Also, do you know if there will be any variance with programming/mapping etc. between the 280 and 320 cdi versions of the OM642 engine?

I have a euro 4 280 cdi version, not sure if the injectors/pump/rail regulators are different ????
reelspooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #5

Boat make: Phantom 23

Send a message via MSN to RossM
Hold up, Raff's using a straight 6 not a V?
RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesBalls View Post
Hold up, Raff's using a straight 6 not a V?
yes

Raffshore is offline   Reply With Quote