Old 30-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #1

Interests: Boats, Bikes.
Boat name: Juice
Boat make: Haines Signature 2100s
Engines: Mercury 225
Cruising area: Hawkesbury or the Harbour

Mercury 225 EFI Problem

Hi guys,

First post on a new site and it's a problem, sorry.

I picked a Signature 2100S up from auction on Friday and have spent all weekend stripping down the interior, removing seats, cleaning vinyl, and generally getting to know my new boat.

Now I've got all the crappy cleaning out of the way, she had to have a new ignition (auction/no key/snatch back etc etc) managed to pick up a two stroke johnson ignition which was almost identical to the one removed, wired it up, two new batteries had to go in with new terminals, all done.

Batteries @12.5v excellent, turn on isolator switch, again 12.5v coming out.
Turn key @ ignition, sweet FA?? No lights anywhere, no signal sounds, no jumping dash needles nothing?????

As far as I have got....... started cutting the hundreds of zip ties holding the birdsnest wiring in place, so I can find the original loom and check the conectors, then to check motor fuses, isolators?? are there any??

Any pointers or ideas at this moment in time would be greatly appreciated, as I know a majority of you guys are UK based, you gotta be top blokes.
That coming from a born and bred Pom now living in extremely sunny Sydney.

I will post pics and bits and pieces of progress shortly as soon as I stop spending hours getting her going

Cheers Damon.

Damon2100S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #2

Interests: Big Dinners
Boat name: Never Enough
Boat make: Seaquel 600xs
Engines: 225hp Merc ProMax
Cruising area: Anywhere! I prefer Weymouth

Send a message via AIM to MrRob
Maybe a 'shoddy' loom, why would u use a johnson ingition on a merc engine?
Glad to see someone from Auz with the same boat as me! Know anyone over there with a similar boat to give any pointers?

Rob.

Old 30-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #3

Well, I'm a bit out in the sticks and supply of parts ain't too good over here and the ignitions are basically the same.
Worst part about it is, when I couldn't get the thing to work with the new ignition barrel, my first guess was ok maybe not the right one....but....drilled out and screwdrivered the old one and rewired and guess what.....didn't make a difference.
Gotta be something simple, motor looks really well serviced and the general appearance of the boat is a1, probably a stupid kill switch hiding somewhere that only the previous owner knows about!

Tmrws another day,

Cheers.
Old 30-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #4

Interests: Big Dinners
Boat name: Never Enough
Boat make: Seaquel 600xs
Engines: 225hp Merc ProMax
Cruising area: Anywhere! I prefer Weymouth

Send a message via AIM to MrRob
I think your best bet is ebay for a new loom. Save yourself the hassle of hashing about trying to repair an old one. You can also sort out the birds nest wiring while you are there.
Old 30-09-2007, 10:16 PM   #5

Boat make: Phantom 23

Send a message via MSN to RossM
Check you got a good live+ground going to the engine?
RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 10:47 PM   #6

To be quite honest, if you can't get the proper merc parts, you could make a full loom from the motor forwards out of trailer cable and 3 toggle switches (1 latched, 2 momentary). It's not complicated, you just need the wiring diagram. Over here, it's easiest to just go to the local boat jumble and get one for a tenner, but we're spoilt.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #7

Thanx for the speedy replies fellas, while your all sleeping over the next 8-10 hrs I'm on public holiday so I will be checking all the above.
Grabbing the serial no. off the motor and getting the background , try and chase down a workshop manual as well.
I used to fit Mercruiser inboards and have the full range on CD but alass no outboards.
Wish me luck, stay tuned, I will keep you up on the progress of project 'I'm gettin there'!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:41 AM   #8

Interests: Boats n Lambrettas
Boat make: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRob View Post
Maybe a 'shoddy' loom, why would u use a johnson ingition on a merc engine?
Glad to see someone from Auz with the same boat as me! Know anyone over there with a similar boat to give any pointers?

Rob.
Hi Mr Rob, I thought you had what would be a 1900s in Aus. Gav's new venture is a stretched 2100s with a new deck as the old shape had a very dated screen.
mike k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #9

Ok here she is.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28-09-07_1643.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	13973   Click image for larger version

Name:	28-09-07_1644.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	13974  
Old 01-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

I like that, it has nice lines.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
I like that, it has nice lines.
and a really wide transom that would easily take twins.....
Old 01-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #12

Jon, the day I've had today I'm glad it has good lines cus it keeps me at it

Public Holiday(Bank Holiday) here and I got out there at 8.30am this morning, took the bucket off the outboard to see if there was anything in there giving me grief, inside actually look very tidy, waxoiled here and there and new plugs and leads!
A closer inspection showed that the gear engaged engine kill switch had corroded and a wire was hanging off, now that is a job in itself gettin to that sucker, managed to remove that so I can get a new one ordered, then I noticed the joining block which is inline to the alternator had a wire broken off, not sure wether its a joining block or some sort of control block, but I'm gonna order one.
Went to the local dealer and again they asked me for the build date, grrrr, came back home and took to trying to find the id plate, no go, spent another 20 mins and then found a date on the main board holding the loom connector Jan '96!! Hooray it's as close as I can get.
Order parts tomorrow.
While at the dealer he said I could crank the engine by diconnecting the loom and bridging over to the stater. I did this but the starter to span clockwise and did't rise to make connection with engine crank, is it suppose to spin clockwise if it span anticlockwise it would have rose??
I'm wondering wether the motor has a bad earth as I had to bring an earth wire from the battery to get the starter to spin, no earth on motor surely thats not right??
Stripped more of the interior out and ditched heaps of old wire that had just been cut and left hanging, switches as well, talk about making lifre complicated.
Through the week I'm going to try to get the new electrical motor parts installed and check the earth/ground points and chase all the wires and make sure they are routed correctly.
The boat itself has been looked after at some point in it's life, I think it got refreshed at some tome with new motor, great set of trim tabs and a forward ballast tank, it's got all the goodies just needs all the gremlins removing
I've always wanted a Haines Signature 2100S since being in Aus, theres a huge following for bullet boats out here and then theres always the name hunters going for the Malibus, Mastercrafts etc, Camero make a realy good boat over here for the dollar.
Anyway made my decision and I'm real happy,
Cheers.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #13

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon2100S View Post
Ok here she is.........

Nice boat, nice car, what is it?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #14

Hi Damon,nice looking boat. I nearly bought one over here with a tuned 225 Johnyrude but I couldnt sell my 1900s at the time. Does yours have the 3"dia (approx) vent from the hull to the underside of the engine well?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #15

The car's a Ford Fairmont Ghia, based on the same chassis and running gear as a Ford Falcon your averagee family sedan(saloon) The Fairmont is the Exec version, 4.0l 6cl straight puts out about 275-290 bhp full leather all the goodies and 18's pulls the boat ok so Im happy.
If you really wanna see a hot Aussie muscle car go to www.fpv.com.au and check out some of those puppies
Old 01-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #16
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
The car's a Ford Fairmont Ghia, based on the same chassis and running gear as a Ford Falcon your averagee family sedan(saloon) The Fairmont is the Exec version, 4.0l 6cl straight puts out about 275-290 bhp full leather all the goodies and 18's pulls the boat ok so Im happy.
If you really wanna see a hot Aussie muscle car go to www.fpv.com.au and check out some of those puppies
I have a car (well a Ute actually) from down your way - it a Holden SS ute - been tuned a little so it's a 5.7 litre V8 with 400 BHP now - great for towing!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #17
Gav

Send a message via Skype™ to Gav
Quote:
Ok here she is.........
Nice looking 2100 Damon!

You may remember me from Blue C Marine in Kidderminster, you did some work for Paul a good few years ago before you went to discovery.

Keep us posted on how the 2100 performs!

regards
Allan
Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:01 AM   #18

Update....

Upon further investigation, she's had twins on the back and competed in the 'Hawkesbury Bridge to Bridge' found an old scrutineer doco tucked away under the floor!
You know what that means, 2 looms probably hacked and chopped, I'm gonna finish pulling down all the trim and the dash pad and rewire the whole thing from scratch.
Hopefully one of the looms will be ok and I can cut back to good loom and extend with new colour coded to original panel instruments again the way it should have been done.
Thanks for the pointers on the Merc parts site, helped me pinpoint the model and I got the part no.s for my broken motor switches.
Alan I do recollect Blue C Marine, wasn't that good o memories though I can remember Paul who was a nice guy but didn't have to much savvy when it came to construction and a short grumpy little bloke who swore all the time and was a right royal pain in the arse!
I very briefly met you if I recall, something about producing parts, oh I don't really remember.
Cookee, the trusted Holden Ute 5.7l LS1 motor SS? how did you manage to pick that up in the UK, I only thought the UK got the Monaro with the big lump. You must love that fuel bill?? but I bet you love the fishies she pulls up the road better They are crazy for utes over here all the young blokes buy em and drop on big rims and drop em, even a few twin tub and supercharged V8 utes!!!
Cheers
Damon
Old 02-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #19
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Update....

Cookee, the trusted Holden Ute 5.7l LS1 motor SS? how did you manage to pick that up in the UK, I only thought the UK got the Monaro with the big lump. You must love that fuel bill?? but I bet you love the fishies she pulls up the road better They are crazy for utes over here all the young blokes buy em and drop on big rims and drop em, even a few twin tub and supercharged V8 utes!!!
Cheers
Damon
That's the one - 400bhp It's not a regular import but a private one - they aren't for sale officially over here.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:57 PM   #20
Gav

Send a message via Skype™ to Gav
Quote:

Alan I do recollect Blue C Marine, wasn't that good o memories though I can remember Paul who was a nice guy but didn't have to much savvy when it came to construction and a short grumpy little bloke who swore all the time and was a right royal pain in the arse!
Paul still is a great guy, and he's doing a hell of a lot better now Bob, the short grumpy little bloke fecked off! as it happens he moved over there to Oz!! If your extremely lucky you may bump into the tosser! He'll be the one with yellow wellies on with L & R on em!
Good luck with ya boat!

regards
Allan

Gav is offline   Reply With Quote