Boatmad.com

Old 15-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #1

Interests: anything with a engine
Boat name: slipstream
Boat make: phantom 21
Engines: merc 2.5
Cruising area: weston

mercury ignition timing

i have a 2.5 mercury 200 efi year 2000 and when you stick the foot to the floor it takes to long to pick up and go it dose eventuly but i cant pull a skier as by the time its picked up i have to let go of the rope its a new power head and i think it could be down to ignitoin as its fine except for this it not plugs leads fuel as i have checked this dose anyone now how to check timing and what degre it sould be set and what revs cheers ,chris

chris_deb_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #2

Boat make: Phantom 21, Plancraft Seaflite
Engines: Merc V6, mercruiser V8
Cruising area: Littlehampton, Fowey

Send a message via Yahoo to marshan162
Check the TPS setting and if it is set as it should be experiment with a few different settings either side of the book setting. The fuel delivery needs to be set just 'wet' enough to withstand the throttle being slamed open, but not so wet that it loads up with a lot of excess fuel from the crankcase

marshan162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #3

Cruising area: tyne

23 degrees
Old 16-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Trade Member

Interests: ACCELERATION (anykind )

To set timing on most V-6 Mercurys that have a spark stabilizer you will need to disconnect the white with the black tracer wire from Bias currcuit of the switch boxes going to the spark stabilizer box mounted on the port side of the engine . Next you MUST establish that your static pointer mounted on the plastic flywheel cover is accurate ( or wherever yours may be located ) . It MUST be established via a dial indicator that this is in alignment on # 1 at TRUE TDC to the O mark on the flywheel . I sell a Top Dead Center Dial indicator and it is a GREAT tuning tool as well as a diagnostic tool for electrical problems....( $75.00 USD + Freight and it is the largest selling outboard tool we sell ) Not a sales pitch just the facts !!!!!

Mean while after you have establish with the dial indicator that the static pointer is dead nuts on zero in retrospect with the scribed rotational O mark on the flywheel you may begin. If not ( which most are off ) you must loosen two pointer screws and re adjust to align the two points exactly... Then remove all the plugs and ground them to the block so that when rotating they may expel their energy to a ground and cause the spark plugs to spark.Or attach to a multi spark air gap tester if available ( If this is not done switch box damage can occur ) Attach a timing light on #1 spark plug plug wire and have someone sit in the boat and open the throttle to WOT then align the timing light directly in front of the two alignment points. Next have the helper turn the motor over and over it should signal a strobe of light so that you can see an apparent alignment of the timing mark to the static point . If this proves to be in exact alignment your done , reverse order, if not you must loosen the locking nut on the 7/16 nut on the 1/4 " X 20 thread jam bolt with a rubber stop that contacts the block boss on the timing arm . This is very touchy and the slight adjustment of the screw will move timing allot..
( Screwing the bolt so that the timer base moves back wards toward the plugs advances the timing , and forward retards the timing. ) Adjust accordingly to manuals specks...

AS far as my own customer's motors I always remove the spark advance box completely throw in in the rubbish and do as I have suggested,setting WOT timing at 25 * and call it good....I find the "box" as another element in the problem equation that can be eliminated with no ill effects to the engine what so ever...

Peace,
Jay @ JSRE
Jay Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #5

Interests: anything with a engine
Boat name: slipstream
Boat make: phantom 21
Engines: merc 2.5
Cruising area: weston

can you tell me what WOT refers to and i will be sorted thanks you guys hav been a great help cheers,chris
chris_deb_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_deb_1 View Post
can you tell me what WOT refers to and i will be sorted thanks you guys hav been a great help cheers,chris
wide open throttle
baj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
JORDANIEL

Interests: BOATS,MOTORCROSS,JET SKIS AND BEER LOTS OF BEER
Boat name: SIDEWINDER
Boat make: PHANTOM 20
Engines: XR2 MERCURY
Cruising area: BARMOUTH

Hi Chris
W.O.T = wide open throttle
Regards Ray
jordaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Chris, you are welcome to borrow my JSRE supplied Dial indicator when you give me back my JSRE lifting eye
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #9

Boat name: Streets Ahead
Boat make: Phantom 600
Engines: Merc 2.0 SST Porting,2.5 200,2.5 Drag Smilin Jacks

Thanks Jay
for that nice explanation to set timing, i am new to v6 outboards and it helps me to :-).

i sought timing setting is like on cars rev it in neutral to 4000 and look at the max timing in degrees.

hey
write and print a how to hot rod v6 outboards book

thank you michael from germany

Germansaleen is offline   Reply With Quote