Boatmad.com

Old 26-04-2006, 10:31 PM   #1

Question Moisture Levels ?

Does anybody have an idea what is an acceptable moisture content in stringers / lower transom etc ??? (%) on a 93 sportsboat ?

obviously it should be as low as possible but at what point do the alarm bells start to ring ?

It's a long story but basically ...........the boat was only purchased 2 months ago and at the weekend whilst servicing i discovered the engine bearers are completely rotten, (engine mounting bolts only held in by sealant and glue)

I decided to have an independant survey done to determine if this was the only rot or structual fault before i contacted the marina about a possible contribution towards the repair, alas it seems that my choice of surveyor may not be to good either as the marina already seems to know all about the rot and the possibility of a claim against them, they even made reccomendations as to how it should be repaired, and i havent even seen a copy of the survey that i have paid for yet !
They contacted me before i had chance to tell them there was anyting wrong
Hence my concern... is the survey i paid for worth a

So to be sure.. when checking moisture content myself at what point does it become unacceptable ?

Foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

If the surveyor missed something obvious, you can claim from the surveyors insurance for repairs.

verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2006, 10:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by verytricky
If the surveyor missed something obvious, you can claim from the surveyors insurance for repairs.
He had no choice to agree that the engine bearers were rotten but i was more concerned about other areas and how many times the buzzer sounded on his meter (only buzzed when in red) showing quite high moisture content and the effect this may have on the structure in the future
Old 26-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #4
Gav

Send a message via Skype™ to Gav
Quote:
Originally posted by Foolish
He had no choice to agree that the engine bearers were rotten but i was more concerned about other areas and how many times the buzzer sounded on his meter (only buzzed when in red) showing quite high moisture content and the effect this may have on the structure in the future
prior to the survey how long had it been since last in the water?
Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2006, 10:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Gav
prior to the survey how long had it been since last in the water?
Had been on trailer since october 05 apart from 3 days in water mid Febuary 06 - Although when first viewed in early Febuary 06 there was a fair amount of water in Bilge / Ski locker which was drained when i pointed it out to them
Old 26-04-2006, 11:07 PM   #6
Gav

dont suppose you know which type of meter the surveyor used?
Old 26-04-2006, 11:16 PM   #7

he was using 2,
the first one didnt have prongs and was just laid flat against surface green/yellow/red scale (had the buzzer)

second had two prongs - slighly different readings - some high internally although low externally where antifoul scraped
Old 26-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #8
Gav

Quote:
he was using 2,
the first one didnt have prongs and was just laid flat against surface green/yellow/red scale (had the buzzer)

second had two prongs - slighly different readings - some high internally although low externally where antifoul scraped

what were the readings above waterline, ie, further up the topsides, were they high the same as below the waterline?
Old 26-04-2006, 11:27 PM   #9

external readings above / below WL appeared to be ok (low) all the high readings seemed to be internal ..stringers / bulkheads etc. which i guess has come from lying water internally. hence my initial concern .. will they rot when they dry......
Old 26-04-2006, 11:34 PM   #10
Gav

Quote:
external readings above / below WL appeared to be ok (low) all the high readings seemed to be internal ..stringers / bulkheads etc. which i guess has come from lying water internally. hence my initial concern .. will they rot when they dry......
i see, .....will they rot when they dry.........hard to say, depends on how long its been like it, difficult one to answer really. IMO if the below waterline readings are very low then i would say the standing water internally hasn't been there long enough to do severe damage. but i may be wrong, get an independant survey done.
Old 27-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by Gav
get an independant survey done.
Already did (see first post above ) just don't think i can rely on the infomation in it as the surveyor apears to be on the marinas side.....

Just wanted to know what is an acceptabe level of moisture and what is not, as all the moisture meters i can find just tell you a percentage !!