Boatmad.com

Go Back   Boatmad.com > Boat Mad | Tech > Technical Q&A
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #1

race boat classification change question

Hi to All

My boat 'Witch of Endor' was officially a UIM class 5000E ...5 ltr open tandem seat inboard 21ft tunnel hull ....but it no longer complies with current requirements which require it to have a canopy/cell...

The absence of a cell has been the basis for the coniston speed week committee to refuse me taking the old girl for a run during speed week unless i was happy to potter about at 8 knots...and that simply wouldn't happen

so my question is could i enter her for a speed run in another category that didn't require a cell....and if so what category....would i have to formally declassify the boat...make any mods

coniston is her home and I really want to take her there...speed week is the only time

DYNAPLANE-PACESETTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #2

Interests: racing, gettin wet.
Boat name: sea j marine
Boat make: 12ft scorpio,14 fletcher,16 argo
Engines: 25hp merc and 90 yam
Cruising area: southampton water

What you need to do is go for a 'outright record' not a class one, the only one suitable for your boat would be 'Inboard Immersed Propeller – Unlimited' which to be honest you can run anything that's deemed as 'safe' and as far as i know you wouldn't need a safety cell as it doesn't have to comply with any class rules just basic safty ones i.e fire extinguisher etc, The British record is currently 154.77, but if you only want a 'fast run' this would be your best bet...

Old 12-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #3

Thanks

That sounds logically promising..... hopefully I can get that approach past the speed week organizers ....I might not be ready for this year as boat is in middle of a paint restoration..... But thanks very much for that info
Old 12-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #4

No problem and i hope they let you run! its an awesome bit of kit you've got so keep plenty of pics coming!
Old 12-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #5

thanks for encouraging words

Ive just sent the speed week committee a mail regarding the entry under a different class on the basis of what you proposed.....will keep you posted as to how far it gets through their bureaucracy.

what really ticks me off is that if it is, and therefore had been, possible for me to have run her last year, that there was no one in the organisation that could have thought of a way around the problem.....we live in a world where it is easier to say NO! than yes these days
Old 12-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #6

unfortunately it does some times seem that way, in my opinion its just as important to find a way to let the old boats run as well as the new ones... not taking away anything from the conniston committee they run and organise a fabulous event and most do it out of passion not for money... it might just have been unfortunate for you that who ever you had contact with simply looked at the regulations for class you were trying to enter for and assumed that's all your boat could do.... but that's were this place comes in useful... you get saddo's like myself who spend to much time reading rules and regs for classes there never likely to enter in!
Old 12-09-2014, 11:01 PM   #7

totally agree

''in my opinion its just as important to find a way to let the old boats run as well as the new ones''...

I kind of made point in my appeal....having some historical boats running (and not at 8 knots) could only add to the event.... but If she has to be a wolf in sheep's clothing to get a run then I wont complain