Boatmad.com

Old 28-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #1

Boat name: Mad Max
Boat make: Ring 18
Engines: Mercury XR2
Cruising area: Mediterranean

Ring 18 balancing the hull

I have recently refitted my Ring 18 running an xr2 200. The engine is centered and i was recommended to fit the battery etc on the starboard side, also drivers side. I also have the control box and fast foot foot throttle on this side (so a fair amount of weight).

The boat when sat in the water leans to starboard a good 4", and when i'm in it even more. my understanding is the r/h prop rotation should level the boat to port, today when hitting mid 50's i passed through a double wake and was airbourne probably a good 6ft and the boat naturally rolled to the drivers side due to this in-balance.

Question is do i balance the boat so its equally weighted, or as i have to combat the prop rotation keep it with the weight to starboard, as once on the plane shes level.

The Mediterranean off the east coast of Spain can be very choppy with very short wave intervals of 10ft spacing and 2ft wave height so the boats out the water a lot. Any advice would be appreciated as the roll when airbourne can be really violent.

Waynef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 11:03 PM   #2

Interests: Boating
Boat name: Bearfoot
Boat make: Sunseeker Mohawk 29
Engines: 2x Volvo Penta 320HP 5.7 GXi
Cruising area: Channel Islands & Adjacent French Coast

I guess something worth considering is whether you plan to use the boat primarily solo or not? The current set up sounds well suited to counter balance the prop torque with both a driver and passenger are sat in the boat, equaling the added weight per side.

I set up my Ring 18C to sit level to the waterline at idle deliberately, so that if using the boat solo, the added weight on the drivers side only was about right to level it up - if you wanted to travel with a passenger, there's always the option of having a dinghy / anchor or something similar to use as movable ballast as the case may be..?

That was just my way of making best use of the weight already onboard!

Cheers, Sam.

Sam S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 12:40 AM   #3

Boat make: Hydrostream V-king, 650SS OCR ,Ring 21, Ring 18, Phantom 18.
Engines: 300Hp Mercury 2.4, 130 Yamaha, Bridgeport EFI, XR6, Merc 200.
Cruising area: Malahide, Dublin

Sounds about right.. but like Sam said, if you plan on boating solo more often than not, its probably not ideal.
But everything in my boat is centred and it still rolls violently to the starboard, so much that I rolled it last summer testing solo, put me in the ER.

Now I find a 20kg bag of sand in the passenger seat helps a lot. Just strap it down

Or set it up centre steer..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hydrostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 01:08 AM   #4
Dave

Interests: Boats of any shape or size
Boat name: Miss-T
Boat make: Ring 21B
Engines: 200 XR2
Cruising area: Loch Earn

I had similar issues with my Ring 18. Not exactly being a light weight myself the boat always leant to stbd when I am in it on my own.
It's fitted with a 150XR2 which is off centre, also ballast tank, foot throttle etc.
The problem I had was an every shifting payload so in the end i fitted trim tabs which have resolved all these issues so now easy to drive with and combination of people onboard
As a point of reference I also have a Ring 21 and this is a lot less prone to this 'ballasting' issue so can only assume it's to do with the hull size and shape on the 18
Old 01-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #5

Boat name: Mad Max
Boat make: Ring 18
Engines: Mercury XR2
Cruising area: Mediterranean

Thanks guys

Thats is some very useful information there. Hydro I like the sandbag idea, after a lot of thought i'm going to add a water tank to the port side under rear seat, should hold about 50litres of water that way i can fill or drain it to payload.

So then ideally what you are saying is balance it when the boat is empty, and my weight will then offset the torque of the prop.....guess what i'm fitting this afternoon

I'll post up some videos on the weekend as out with a Cyclone and a Phantom 21 both running 200 Opti's. Be interesting to see how the 18 fairs up running an older 200 XR2, conditions are like glass at the moment and 38 - 42 degrees
Waynef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:02 AM   #6

Boat make: Hydrostream V-king, 650SS OCR ,Ring 21, Ring 18, Phantom 18.
Engines: 300Hp Mercury 2.4, 130 Yamaha, Bridgeport EFI, XR6, Merc 200.
Cruising area: Malahide, Dublin

Forgot to add, the roll will become much less severe as you trim out. But lacking a passenger and the extra weight forward in the boat requires less trim. Which compounds the issue. You're probably right with the ballast tank, but I'd put it up front.
But honestly, play with sand bags firstt. Less permanent!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hydrostream is offline   Reply With Quote