Boatmad.com

Old 24-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #1

specific rules and regs question

Hello one and all,
Obviously the boat in question is D2S.
Pash 1 has advised me that it will run in "Marathon " class.
I have a copy of the latest PB1 rya rules etc, and from speaking to many of you at "Drivers" I am getting conflicting answers as to what is and was is not acceptable installation on two main items -neither of which I can seem to find in the PB1 rules for clarification.
If you choose to respond please quote me the relevant section/rule that applies.
Question 1 :- The engines have a "gill" type manifold, from that they rise and turn to the rear of the boat in in a wet twin wall configuration -- the section from the turn to the rear is a single tube combining the exhaust and the coolant. -----Can I use a suitable rubber sleeve to connect these two pipes, if not please quote the relevant ruling that I need to look at.

Question 2 -- "In board drive shafts" or prop shafts if you wish, the connection from the engine/gearbox to the stern drives.
From my car racing experience a drive shaft/prop shaft should always have a restraint method should it decide to depart company from the rest of the transmission, as a matter of course I would install a couple of "prop catchers" per drive shaft to prevent, should it detonate, ripping a hole thru the hull. Also for engine room safety I would also have a cover over the shafts to avoid personal entanglement should you be there when it is rotating.
--What are the defined specifics (if any) for this? Again please quote the section or rule I need to look at.

Thanks for any useful and informative advice.

Regards
Budweiser

Old 24-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #2

If it ain't in the rule book it's free, although I've not recently read it to confirm.

However, both of the things you suggest are fairly standard practice.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 12:17 AM   #3

Standard practice

Thanks Matt,
I have gone thru the whole of the RYA some 260 pages, but can not see specific definition nor recommendation even to "standard practice".
This however contradicts with "advice" given.
Does a standard practice definition exist, that could be used for scruteneering?
I only ask as "i checked the PB1 rules last night/recently for you, and you must do this" scenario.

I am still wondering what size paddles the boat should have stowed, and also where and how to store an alternate means of propulsion that is capable of 5 knots for 35 mins for a boat that weighs in at some 6 tonnes plus fueled --should i arrange to borrow some scull oars fromm coalporters? and nail an outboard on the back for good measure?
Old 25-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #4

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

It's no wonder racing's going down the drain really is it! You'd think they could relax a few of the rules a touch to make life easier for us!

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
Silence!!!... I kill you

Interests: Powerboat racing, Travel
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budweiser View Post
, and also where and how to store an alternate means of propulsion that is capable of 5 knots for 35 mins for a boat that weighs in at some 6 tonnes plus fueled --should i arrange to borrow some scull oars fromm coalporters? and nail an outboard on the back for good measure?
Surely that's a requirement for single engined craft only.

To understand the rules a basic level of reading is often required!
Old 25-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Question 1 :- The engines have a "gill" type manifold, from that they rise and turn to the rear of the boat in in a wet twin wall configuration -- the section from the turn to the rear is a single tube combining the exhaust and the coolant. -----Can I use a suitable rubber sleeve to connect these two pipes, if not please quote the relevant ruling that I need to look at.
The only rules that will affect you are those relating to the design of the manifold - unless you are looking at class A,B or C. Rule 4.2 defines the type of manifold you may use. Some things are specifically excluded. Items that perform in the same way as items that are specifically restricted will probably be deemed illegal. The connection however is free. If you are conserned, you should ask your club representitive to query the facts with the ORC or seek written advice from the SAT committee. Get the answer in writing.

Quote:
Question 2 -- "In board drive shafts" or prop shafts if you wish, the connection from the engine/gearbox to the stern drives.
From my car racing experience a drive shaft/prop shaft should always have a restraint method should it decide to depart company from the rest of the transmission, as a matter of course I would install a couple of "prop catchers" per drive shaft to prevent, should it detonate, ripping a hole thru the hull. Also for engine room safety I would also have a cover over the shafts to avoid personal entanglement should you be there when it is rotating.
This is specifically not covered in the rules and should thus be regarded as 'free'. However.....If you are conserned, you should ask your club representitive to query the facts with the ORC or seek written advice from the SAT committee. Get the answer in writing.

I do not think that advice given in this forum will hold much weight when you are disqualified from an event.
RichA (Lamont) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #7

Quote:
I am still wondering what size paddles the boat should have stowed, and also where and how to store an alternate means of propulsion that is capable of 5 knots for 35 mins for a boat that weighs in at some 6 tonnes plus fueled --should i arrange to borrow some scull oars fromm coalporters? and nail an outboard on the back for good measure?
An alternate means of propulsion is specifically only for a single engined boat. I guess you would find that would apply to the smaller craft entering, so a small outboard could be a suitable option - think of a 25 footer at under 2 ton.

The type and style of paddle required is not defined, but you would need to show that you have some reasonable chance of manouvering your craft with such paddles if required. So my choice would be a plastic/aluminim 550mm by 300mm paddle with a suitable shaft as a solution unlikely to bring the paddle into question by a scrutineer...
RichA (Lamont) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbeen View Post
To understand the rules a basic level of reading is often required!
I'm quite looking forward to meeting you........................

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #9

Interests: Rally Driving
Boat name: Double 2 Shirts
Boat make: Planatec 41
Engines: 2x625's+ From Uncle Sam
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFin View Post
I'm quite looking forward to meeting you........................
Me too................................