Boatmad.com

Old 09-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #1

Boat name: Hawkeye 77
Boat make: Marshan 162
Engines: Mariner 60
Cruising area: North coast, out of the camel

Tell tale clean out

Think there maybe some silt in the pipe, can I spray a hose up the tell tale nozzle with the engine off.

It ran a bit weak today with the muffs on while I tried a new battery, kind of stopping and starting, flow fast and slow? It was firing out fine when I took it out last week and when I flushed it after?

Lanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
oxo

Interests: boats engines beer
Boat name: outlaw
Boat make: marshan 18/crusader 17
Engines: merc xr2/ merc115
Cruising area: solent/round island if i got enough fuel!

impeller

If I was you I'd whip the gearbox off and change the impeller to be safe.
I had the same thing on my first boat and thought I'd chance it. Hence to say, one big clunk and a nice cloud of steam and smoke later, I was left with a nice lump of scrap!
It's only about an hours work to do. If you haven't got one, get a seloc manual, it'll save you a fortune!

oxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Burty
did you flush it last week straight after taking it out? i ask because i wouldnt expect it to be that good on a hose because of the lack of pressure and the thermostat being shut when cold. if you rev the engine to say 1500rpm does the flow stabilise??
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #4

I flushed it when it went fine week before last but couldnt when it wouldnt start last week. The boat came of the trailer and was in the river (bit silty) turned over and over but didnt fire not enough power in battery). Put it back on and back to workshop. I went down the next morning took the battery out the truck and started up then.

It took a while to come through and then was on and off so I stopped it. took cover off and had a look pocked something up the telltale and adjusted the muffs a bit, tried again (yes, recon engine was warm all the water pipes were hot) started up first time and it was alot better, raised revs, better again.

I dont have any manual, been looking but the ones on ebay are all too late mines a 9436112 I would change an impelller (I'm not bad with a spanner) but dont know what to get and how? If anyones got the manual for mine and could do me a cd of it I would be very greatful and would pay the going rate for it.

I was hoping something got stuck in it due to the silty slip way and it needed cleaning out as it ran great the day I went out.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #5

Boat name: Un-named as yet
Boat make: Phantom 21
Engines: yam 225
Cruising area: Thames estuary Black water/crouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanks View Post
I flushed it when it went fine week before last but couldnt when it wouldnt start last week. The boat came of the trailer and was in the river (bit silty) turned over and over but didnt fire not enough power in battery). Put it back on and back to workshop. I went down the next morning took the battery out the truck and started up then.

It took a while to come through and then was on and off so I stopped it. took cover off and had a look pocked something up the telltale and adjusted the muffs a bit, tried again (yes, recon engine was warm all the water pipes were hot) started up first time and it was alot better, raised revs, better again.

I dont have any manual, been looking but the ones on ebay are all too late mines a 9436112 I would change an impelller (I'm not bad with a spanner) but dont know what to get and how? If anyones got the manual for mine and could do me a cd of it I would be very greatful and would pay the going rate for it.

I was hoping something got stuck in it due to the silty slip way and it needed cleaning out as it ran great the day I went out.

try these http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=m...+manual&_rdc=1
Carl_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #6

Thanks Carl, will have a look.

Can I test it again or do you think doing the impeller is better, just cant see how it would just go a week later with the muffs on?

I'll get an impeller and can always fit it next season if its something else.

I do need a manual though please to fit it.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #7

Just looked Carl I've been through most of them they are all either too new or too big!

What about the impeller itself, I've seen a kit on ebay and just the impeller itself, what is it I want?

Cheers

Tomorrow me and a couple of mates were going to take it out for the whole day, weather is good and the tides are perfect but I dont want to mess the engine up. Should I test it again with muffs or get the boys to help me put it in a test just off the slipway?
Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #8

Is that number the engine serial number? If it is there should be letters in front of the number i believe. I think its a pre 90 engine as it looks like a clam shell cover which hinges on the back, my Mariner 200hp had same looking cover. After 1990 im sure they went to a 1 piece cover.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #9

There are some pictures of the motor in my tilt and trim thread. You may be able to see something?

Thanks Carl
Old 10-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Just looked Carl I've been through most of them they are all either too new or too big!

What about the impeller itself, I've seen a kit on ebay and just the impeller itself, what is it I want?

Cheers

Tomorrow me and a couple of mates were going to take it out for the whole day, weather is good and the tides are perfect but I dont want to mess the engine up. Should I test it again with muffs or get the boys to help me put it in a test just off the slipway?
I would test it in a tank its best way to tell if it pumping ok, muffs not really a good way as you cant get enough water flow i dont think. I guess you let it run long enough for the thermastate to open?

If you change the impeller you should get all new gaskets and seals for the water pump too. As i think i said in your other post i have seen people rev the engines dry after using their boats to pump all the water out. As you dont know if this has been the case in its past. This is no good for the impeller they can quickly over heat, glaze, or seperate from the drive key, clogged up with silt will damage it in no time too. Its recommended you change the pump or impeller every 2 years anyway.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #11

The engine was rebuilt a few years ago not sure what was done though.

Its just strange it was fine then I had the flat battery then a bit iffy (did get better though after a few minutes running), how long should it take to warm up and the thermostat open up?

I'll try and find a tank today and give it another test, whats the best way to test it then?
Old 10-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #12

Forgot to add how deep does the water have to be in the tank, clearly above where I put the muffs but whats best.

Trouble is I've got bigger fins on it so it wont fit in a bin could take them off, would that work?
Old 10-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #13

as long as it covers the inlet grills on the side your be ok, if you need to take fins off that wont hurt, you might not need them anyway as if they are what i think you mean they are just a bolt on extra. I use a large plastic domestic water tank.

Tried to look your engine number up but couldnt find any reference to that number for a given year, numbers where starting 95------ late 80's nothing starting 94------- maybe it is a Yamaha built Mariner? someone on here might be more able to pin point exact year. I had same problem with my Mariner. Or contact a dealer. Sorry not much more help There was this with your serial number but not a year http://www.marineengine.com/parts/ma...0+%283+CYL.%29

Thermostat should open about 50º-60º depending on what engine you got.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #14

Thanks,

Took the end of the tell tale off was clean and could blow up the pipe sprayed some water up it too.

Well I've put it in, took ages to start on the new battery, but did. Tell tale started up in 30 seconds or so but then weakened and stopped. Started again and stopped. Took the end bit off the pipe just so I could see it better, same, put it up to bit under half throttle and it came out fine and did not stop.

Any ideas on poor starting and the tell tale, is it OK? I'm sure it ran all the time at idle when I took it out for the one time I have.

All I've done was as above and moved the fuel tank to the front, and sprayed the cowl. It didnt start the other day and was backed up into some silty stuff.

I'm starting to worry about taking it out now. Was hoping to enjoy it not pull my hair out over it!ha

Help please.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #15

Will always come out faster under load rather than tick over as impeller obviously spinning faster but it still possible the silt and sh+t has damaged the impeller they are only plastic and damage easy. If in doubt change it or whole pump its worth the piece of mind.

As for starting, have you changed the plugs, is the choke working/are you using choke, and do you prime with fuel via hand pumped primer bulb before starting? I just read you moved the fuel tank, its possible have an air lock or your too far from the engine and fuel pump not man enough.

And welcome to the world of boating and the headaches that come free with our hobby
Old 10-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #16

muffs can be very mis-leading when it comes to piss pipes..what ide do is drop it down the slip and let it come fully upto temp with the leg fully in the water on the trailer then you will have a better idea matey
baj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #17

Carl you said it the "Joys of boat ownership!ha

I've enjoyed all the work and its all set to go out then this, you can understand the frustration!ahhhhhh.

No change of plugs, but again when I went to buy it started up fine and when I took it out myself fine?
Yes prime with a bulb turn the key one click push in for choke (can here the motor click) then crank it.
How long do you crank for or is it a quick crank stop try again, choke again more throttle?

I'll get a impeller, advice on best place and what to get needed please.
I'm not sure if I should take it out tomorrow (which was the plan) and or try it just off the slipway?
Baj todays test was in a bin of water.

I just cant understand how it goes from working to not to flowing straight away to on and off????? I like to know about things but this one is crazy.

Do appreciate all the help, more please!ha
Old 10-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
oxo

Interests: boats engines beer
Boat name: outlaw
Boat make: marshan 18/crusader 17
Engines: merc xr2/ merc115
Cruising area: solent/round island if i got enough fuel!

impeller

Hi Lanks,

If you tap in ishopmarine.com the site has a list of most models made. Just hit the "mercury store" tab on the bottom left of the home page, then mariner, it has a comprehensive list of models with exploded diagrams, serial no.s etc. Takes a bit of searching thru but I've found it invaluable. Just tell the missus she probably won't see you for the rest of the night
oxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #19

Thanks for that oxo, she's used to me working on the boat of late, just want to take her out on it and show her what the hard works for.ha

Well my father heard I was pulling my hair out still he was hoping to go out when it wouldnt start and he may have something.
The only thing I have changed to the engine itself is the fuel line. It was short and at the back I lengthened it to in the bow maybe 4 times as long. He recons its starving of fuel fuel on start up and why the tell tale runs for a short time (on choke) then stops and starts, runs fine with a bit of throttle. The bulb did go a bit strange like it had air in it and I forgot to open the valve on the tank today!dohhh.

I have put the old line on and the tank in the back and going to give it a go off the slip way tomorrow.

So two things please:

1. How do I make sure there is no air in the line, a newbie (idiots!) guide to starting up with a bulb please.

2. Fingers crossed all round that this is all it is and I have great go out on my new boat!ha

Cheers all
Old 11-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Thanks for that oxo, she's used to me working on the boat of late, just want to take her out on it and show her what the hard works for.ha

Well my father heard I was pulling my hair out still he was hoping to go out when it wouldnt start and he may have something.
The only thing I have changed to the engine itself is the fuel line. It was short and at the back I lengthened it to in the bow maybe 4 times as long. He recons its starving of fuel fuel on start up and why the tell tale runs for a short time (on choke) then stops and starts, runs fine with a bit of throttle. The bulb did go a bit strange like it had air in it and I forgot to open the valve on the tank today!dohhh.

I have put the old line on and the tank in the back and going to give it a go off the slip way tomorrow.

So two things please:

1. How do I make sure there is no air in the line, a newbie (idiots!) guide to starting up with a bulb please.

2. Fingers crossed all round that this is all it is and I have great go out on my new boat!ha

Cheers all
This is what i mentioned too.

Take the fuel pipe off at the engine and pump with bulb untill only fuel comes out, then replace fuel pipe.

Out of curiosity why did you move the tank, c of g i am guessing?