Boatmad.com

Old 06-11-2005, 04:19 PM   #1

Undertray

Hi Guys,

Please excuse if this is the wrong place to ask this kind of question.

Long time driver, first time restorer. Recently bought a little (14.5 foot) speedboat (Fletcher Arrow - we wanted to keep it simple) as a winter project and I need a bit of help from the gurus.

The boat I bought has been otside for a long time and has got full of gunk and rubbish etc. I really want to strip out the whole thing to make sure its all sound inside.

After taking all of the seats out its all based on a black plasic undertray, all bolts on the tray have been taken out but its still solid in the boat.

From what I can see under the tray there is A LOT of expanding foam in the bottom of the hull.

What I would like to know is would this have been most likely put in the factory when it was constructed, and is this stuff normally strong enough to hold in the undertray on its own?

There is far too much to simply hack off, is there any way to flush it out perhaps using a chemical of some sort?

Many thanks in advance for all help!

Alex

Reheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Gav the glass Guru will easly answer this.
IMHO If its been standing there is a good chance it could be a little water logged if not at first apparent and may need some drying out before moving forward with the restoration

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:33 PM   #3

BluFin,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah we will be totally stripping the boat back and making sure its dry before we thing about anything else.

Luckily we have some experience in other restorations so its no an entirely new experince, we just arent as clued up with watercraft as we wish!

Alex
Old 06-11-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
Gav

Send a message via Skype™ to Gav
Re: Undertray

Quote:
Originally posted by Reheat

From what I can see under the tray there is A LOT of expanding foam in the bottom of the hull.

What I would like to know is would this have been most likely put in the factory when it was constructed, and is this stuff normally strong enough to hold in the undertray on its own?

IMO this foam would definately been put in during the build of the boat..... and as blufin said, is probably waterlogged! horid stuff to work with but will cut out. Just make sure you wear suitable face/eye protection when removing. the plastic/grp tray will be bonded in so its not just the foam holding it down.
Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:26 PM   #5

Hi there Gav,

Thanks for that mate. You say it will be bonded, does this mean it would be unwise to remove it in its entirety or does it just mean we would have to re bond the tray to the hull?

Alex
Old 06-11-2005, 06:25 PM   #6
Gav

Quote:
Originally posted by Reheat
Hi there Gav,

Thanks for that mate. You say it will be bonded, does this mean it would be unwise to remove it in its entirety or does it just mean we would have to re bond the tray to the hull?

Alex
you can remove the tray by cutting out anywhere its bonded to the hull, and of course if it will come through the apeture of the deck/cockpit.

Photos of the boat/tray would be interesting to see.......
Old 06-11-2005, 06:45 PM   #7

Gav,

Will try and provide photos but probably won't be able to get them for a few days or perhaps next weekend as the weather is piss poor here and by the time I get back from work its dark!

Im assuming the foam is just a Eureathane compound. There is a lot of it to cut out (like 1/3rd of the bottom of the hull) does anyone know of any liquid that I could flush the hull with to break it down or will it have to be all manual?

Many thanks again! your time is appreciated.

Alex
Old 06-11-2005, 06:56 PM   #8
Gav

not too sure if acetone would eat it away, you could always try a bit to see( for feck sake dont spark a fag up though!!! )

Failing that i know that a heat gun(paint stripper) melts it away but need to be very carfull not to torch the hull!
Old 06-11-2005, 10:12 PM   #9

Interests: boats , laughing and music
Boat name: Dyna Mo Humm
Boat make: Avon Searider 8.4mmmm
Engines: Cat 4216 450hp
Cruising area: Solent

Acetone Nah! that works a treat on Polystyrene but that aint what the stuff is you want to remove!

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...15010&id=24412

may very well do the Job
Old 06-11-2005, 10:17 PM   #10

Scratcher is an expert on all manner of destructive techniques and methods!

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote