Boatmad.com

Old 17-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #21
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Exactly that. All of the classes are totally reliant on each other to create an event.

I have no beef with Bob, far from it, but to portray something as sorted when it is not is not being honest.

In answer to your previous question, I haven't raced for 30 odd years but do a bit around the organising side to help where I can.

At the moment my son wants to go racing and we were left with a decision to make as to what to put together to be a serious competitive outfit.

That decision has been made and a 3A boat is going together as we speak at no small expense to comply with EPA etc etc.

Now getting back to the support that national class will require you could be forgiven for thinking from Bob's post above that the first club/basic race will be 'NRC' round 1 when nothing could be further from the truth.

I say Basic because BCC as you know has been dropped from national status.

There are in fact two basic races before that, one of which is support to a national 3A race. And those two races as you rightly point out will need the support of the whole race community to be a success.

There are actually ten basic races on the provisional calendar at the moment not just the four outlined by OCRDA.

A busier calendar than most believed and plenty of opportunity for everyone to race.

Old 17-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #22

Boat name: V13
Boat make: V24 batboat
Engines: 5.7 320hp
Cruising area: SOUTHCOAST

races

could you enlighten me as to what the 2 events are before bobs torquay event

RHINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #23
Engine tester

As the whole calendar is provisional at the moment Brian it would be wrong for me to post that up as fact.

If you drop Sheena a line she'll fill you in.
Old 17-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #24
The Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorvator View Post
If you drop Sheena a line she'll fill you in.
Not like her to resort to violence, usually she's a very pleasant lady!
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #25

races

if its the 2 venues i am assuming, it cannot be supported by all classes as the water is not deep enough for canopied boats
Old 17-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #26
Engine tester

That's unfortunately true mate.
Old 17-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #27
The Doc

Over the duck pond?
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #28

2014 Racing Season

But these two races can (and hopefully will) be supported by all the club boats that want to race in 2014 on offshore courses. As we understand it, the three canopied boats only wanted to do four events this season plus their European Championship in Sweden, so the need to find venues to allow the 3A/B boats to complete their training, in readiness for their own World Championships in Guernsey did not require 4m of water depth.

It is hoped that with their return to National racing, Allhallows Yacht Club will have support for those boats wishing to race in 2014, where we have traditionally always received a warm welcome over the past 20 years. One will be a club race to augment the PBR training - on the preceding day - and the other a double header National event to give newcomers to the sport the opportunity to get their upgrades from provisional to national licence. This is a requirement for the application of an International licence.

Hope this information helps?

https://www.sepaoffshore.co.uk/
SEPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #29

race

so if you have a open 2litre batboat there is not a national championship for you to enter,is that correct
Old 17-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #30

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorvator View Post
Exactly that. All of the classes are totally reliant on each other to create an event.

I have no beef with Bob, far from it, but to portray something as sorted when it is not is not being honest.

In answer to your previous question, I haven't raced for 30 odd years but do a bit around the organising side to help where I can.

At the moment my son wants to go racing and we were left with a decision to make as to what to put together to be a serious competitive outfit.

That decision has been made and a 3A boat is going together as we speak at no small expense to comply with EPA etc etc.

Now getting back to the support that national class will require you could be forgiven for thinking from Bob's post above that the first club/basic race will be 'NRC' round 1 when nothing could be further from the truth.

I say Basic because BCC as you know has been dropped from national status.

There are in fact two basic races before that, one of which is support to a national 3A race. And those two races as you rightly point out will need the support of the whole race community to be a success.

There are actually ten basic races on the provisional calendar at the moment not just the four outlined by OCRDA.

A busier calendar than most believed and plenty of opportunity for everyone to race.
Sorry Kerry but my post clearly stated that Torquay is Round 1 of the NRC Nations Raceboat Series !! A 4 UK and / or 4 Overseas Series for everyone as far as I understand also National Round 1 for OCR, V24 not sure about others.
Old 17-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #31
Engine tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
Sorry Kerry but my post clearly stated that Torquay is Round 1 of the NRC Nations Raceboat Series !! A 4 UK and / or 4 Overseas Series for everyone as far as I understand also National Round 1 for OCR, V24 not sure about others.
Let's not confuse people Bob.

The first National Race and hence rounds 1&2 is at All Hallows as Sheena has alluded to above.

And obviously All Hallows would be running a club race alongside that as well. That being the second opportunity for non national boats to race.

The first coming at the same club as a Shakedown race after training a month earlier.

The eligibility to run in those races is exactly the same as your NRC series I believe subject of course to scrutineering.

So fair play to AHYC for putting it on and that's what racers should be preparing for isn't it?
Old 17-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #32

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

National Racing-Politics

Am I missing a point here with so few boats in each class why is there so much focus on National classification (unless its license requirements),I for one (If I was good enough)would not be proud to say I am National champion with only say two other boats in my class.Unless there is a drastic increase this year in the number of boats competing then each class will probably only have two or three per class if we are lucky.I think the politics are getting in the way of reality-unless the few boats attend the few events none of them will be viable.I for one want to race (Time off permitting) with similar boats with some close racing and have some fun not turn up and race with one or two boats.I don't like the big courses because it spreads the boats out too much (crap for spectators and a nightmare for the commentator)and if its rough it beats up the boats and the crews if its flat it potentially means far higher speeds and more danger of accidents and an element of Cheque Book Racing you also end up with more safety boats than race boats or two few safety boats trying to cover a massive course compromising safety(the long (shortened) leg at Torquay last year we could not see a safety boat at one stage).There is an argument that it gives the navigator more involvement but having navigated for Bob for two years close short course racing certainly gives a nav plenty to do.I know there are some restriction on having a minimum size course for more powerful boats for safety reasons yet I can't understand that when its rough the course size can be reduced (V24's managed to safely race last year in European Event on a shorter course in the rough)If we had 20 plus boats racing its another matter.I have raced in various different disciplines (non boating) in the past but have never come across such negative politics.Each organising club needs to support the other clubs events .I hope that some common sense can prevail and we can get some close safe enjoyable racing,I for one am getting very disolutioned.My thoughts for what it's worth.Nic
NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #33

Some more Thoughts

I have often been confused with some of the rules and I think some of the current rules could be looked into and revised to suit the current level of competitors and mix of boats.
Mixed class racing example;V24's to be on the outside when cornering? I know they have reduced visibility but when they race against other V24's do they suddenly have X Ray vision,to see a field of them racing last year was great with no issues that I was aware of.
Start run length;I can understand this requirement if we had a field of 20+ 2.0l boats all likely to arrive at turn one together but with the mixed field we have all it does is spread the field out and the racing becomes processional.I personally love the start runs/first few turns but not when we have had a 2 mile run to turn one.
I rigged my boat to suit BCC2 rules and I'm not happy to discover that this is now defunct.
If the plan is to attract new competitors at least have a class that the majority of non racing ex race boats/poker run type boats could if they wanted to enter ie all the old Rings Phantoms etc with V6 type engines there's plenty out there and the fact the Rally/Poker Runs are getting good support it would not take much to encourage these people to race..
I understand there has been some re-gigging regards modified engines being proposed;as there is no way of knowing what mods an engine has had done to it and without specific set of rules this cannot be policed.If excessive power is a concern and I know safety is important and if it becomes an issue in F1 they take action to slow the cars down,we could keep the straights shorter/ballast boats/restrict power or engine size/length ratio,amount of fuel.Without knowing the specific actual power of each engine there is no means of comparing Race engines from leisure engines.If a race engine has to race in the class above and if you take my engine 200XS I would either have to tune my engine to say compete with 280/300XS which could possibly make it unsafe (overpowered) or change it completely.
I have also had trouble getting navigators (probably cause I break them)would a change to solo/driver only encourage more people to race it works in the smaller class's ?.
Old 18-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #34

Boat make: Hydrostream V-king, 650SS OCR ,Ring 21, Ring 18, Phantom 18.
Engines: 300Hp Mercury 2.4, 130 Yamaha, Bridgeport EFI, XR6, Merc 200.
Cruising area: Malahide, Dublin

Very well said Nic, and I couldnt agree more! But I do think 2 crew is a good idea, I had navigator issues last year since Dave joined the Navy, but I still managed to find guys very willing to jump into the boat. Both of these expressed huge interest in racing offshore afterwards. One is currently prepping a boat for 2014. So that in its self is a good stepping stone for getting involved, as you know from naving for Bob.

Put a Yam 130 on it for this season Nic, bet you theres no difference in lap speed from what youre running now! And much better on fuel!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hydrostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrostream View Post
Very well said Nic, and I couldnt agree more! But I do think 2 crew is a good idea, I had navigator issues last year since Dave joined the Navy, but I still managed to find guys very willing to jump into the boat. Both of these expressed huge interest in racing offshore afterwards. One is currently prepping a boat for 2014. So that in its self is a good stepping stone for getting involved, as you know from naving for Bob.

Put a Yam 130 on it for this season Nic, bet you theres no difference in lap speed from what youre running now! And much better on fuel!
I think my boat would be too heavy being an original Baker built boat and I'd need to spend extra money on tuning it to stand a chance. With my work rota changing It will be difficult to pin point when I have a weekend off and trying to sort getting a nav will make it even more difficult to race. The calendar will not consist of many races so with less events it's not getting any easier.
Anyone want to buy a Phantom 19 200XS ?
Old 19-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #36

Interests: photography, powerboat racing, motogp, anything that goes fast!

Offshore Classes.

Not that long ago we Class A,B,C,and D.That seemed to work very well and the rules were set by the RYA,so why all the confusions now.
snapper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #37

Pretty much what OCRDA proposal was only 3 classes though !! Apparently too simple for some.
Old 19-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #38

Suddenly, it all starts to make sense! From the current Raceboat Int magazine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fullscreen capture 19012014 170007.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	40848  
Marinautic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #39

Now that does look interesting !!
Old 20-01-2014, 02:43 AM   #40

Interests: boats, bikes, diving , snowboarding
Boat name: 88
Boat make: p18
Engines: merc 200
Cruising area: south coast

Well well well same shit different year !!!

speedyboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote