Boatmad.com

Old 01-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
2009 Memories

Cinzano 558 winning at Cowes.

Markus deserved something after RB 2008, perhaps a race win or two, but a Cowes Torquay Cowes victory in his first season of Marathon Racing?

The German chap, reversed into the Tim Grimshaw outfit - using the talents of Eric Smilie to make sure that the twin V10 Ilmor CUV ran without a hic up throughout 2009.

If you have followed this sport for a while, the 2009 winners at Cowes did have the "Roy of the Rovers" end.

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #2

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post

Markus deserved something after RB 2008, perhaps a race win or two, but a Cowes Torquay Cowes victory in his first season of Marathon Racing?

The German chap, reversed into the Tim Grimshaw outfit - using the talents of Eric Smilie to make sure that the twin V10 Ilmor CUV ran without a hic up throughout 2009.

If you have followed this sport for a while, the 2009 winners at Cowes did have the "Roy of the Rovers" end.

Totally agree.

That did make Cowes this year quite special. If you watch the video Marcus was plonking along a bit at first which goes to show it’s not always the fastest that wins the CTC. It was a great fairy tale win for him but a different story for Mike Deacon in his Scorpion with half the power of Cinzano. Mike is a great offshore racer and with his usual grit and determination so nearly had it in the bag but was piped at the post by 11 seconds after 170 miles of tough offshore racing.

It’s been an honour for me to run Cowes for two years. As far as I am concerned it’s a race that has to happen and the guys came out in force at each event to make both races memorable for which I thank them all. Both the CTC and the CPC races in 09 where tough because of the weather conditions but that is how Cowes has to run. It was still rewarding to see the faces of those that came back having had to run in quite bad seas and survive. Some of the pics I have seen from down at the Bridge buoy were awesome.

The down side is the desire by the RYA ever year to want to “nit pick” over Cowes and their (his) determination to only find the bad bits (there where a few as we are only human) and not to see the whole event for what it is. It is, without question, the premier offshore race event of the year and a whole lot of work has to go in by a lot of people over many months – for no reward - to make it special for the racers and that is how it has always been.

Cowes reaches its 50th anniversary this year and is now the only race of its type taking place anywhere in the world – to my knowledge – for which we should be proud. Any efforts to “nobble” it by certain people must be vigoursly resisted.

Long live “The Big One”, this year’s event will be something VERY special.

We will be there running with you guys this time, it just has to be done!
ML.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #3

Interests: Boating & classic speed boats
Boat name: Tremlett 15
Boat make: 1973 Gunning/Tremlett 15' & Ribeye 4.5m )
Engines: 1976 Mercury 500 50hp ( & Yam )
Cruising area: Ireland

joining this forum..........

Happy New Year to all
Tremlett 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #4

Thanks and Good Fortune...

As one who has watched just-about every C-T-C since I was eight (the '64 race) I would like to thank Mike and his team for their amazing rescue of the race in 2008. Without the organisational (and persuasive!) skills of Mike, the race just wouldn't have happened.

An equally splendid (if slightly less hectic) job was made of the 2009 event and our undying thanks should again be recorded..

Good Luck with the racing Mike...!

To John Moore, my best wishes for the coming year and for taking-on the organisation of what has again become "the big one"! Really looking forward to it.

Take care, one and all... ian
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #5

Nice guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Sorry, was so overcome with gratitude (that the race happened at all!) that I went slightly off-thread there...

Talking to those deserving and really nice guys, Markus, Tim and Eric after the race, they would be the first to admit to mixed feelings about stealing the win from under Mike Deacon's nose... but what do you do?!

You can't really slow-down to let the other guy win... that would be a false result. You can't turn-down an historic Cowes - Torquay - Cowes win...ever!

Watching the post-race interviews with Mike, he just took it all in his stride, took it like the gentleman that he is and put it down to fate.

I suppose the Gardner brothers had to do the same in '68, after they'd watched their main rival sink, throttled-back and cruised home to find Telstar in the winner's berth.

Must n't forget the other end of the fleet... Nick and Jon's epic trek back from Torquay, on a day that would normally have suited them just fine...
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
It is Marathon Racing!

Offshore Powerboat Racing - the way it is meant to be.

The rule book has now been written - Let's enjoy a few more stories.

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote