Old 10-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #1

Interests: Boats, Diving, Business
Boat name: Seawolf, Wolf
Boat make: 10m Humber Offshore & 8.5m Humber Offshore
Engines: Suzuki DF300's
Cruising area: Ireland & UK

Around Ireland Update

Hello all,
been reading the last thread relating to the race and sense the frustration being experienced.

It is a difficult path to tread in organising a major event like this as I am sure a few will agree having put together the RB08 with great success.

The Around Ireland Race is progressing steadily with steps being taken almost daily to get the event organised to a standard that meets all of your expectations. In reading the last thread it seems we have some serious questions to answer.

Will the race go ahead? The answer is an unequivocable YES. The Team at Let's do it Galway and ourselves have been working very hard on the structure and operations of the event to satisfy various local officials and meet funding expectations and we can now confirm all of this is in place.

What about Entries? This is an interesting one. We have over 60 registered entries and todate receipts regarding deposits and entry fees have been limited. We accept that this is normal and that assurances are required to satisfy you all in regard to your hard earned cash. To this end, the Irish Offshore Powerboat Club who are managing all entry fee funds will say this. All fees paid in regard to entries will be guaranteed and fully refundable (including your deposit) if we decided not to hold the event. This is now not possible and we can assure you the event will take place.

Registrations: It seems we have underestimated certain registrations made by people like Iain May and Dorian. We have taken these as serious entries and have added them to the site under the relevant entrants section. This was based on communications we have received and I can only apologise to both and have asked that the entries be removed immediately. We can only apologise for making this assumption. I doubt it will happen again.

Offshore Racing: It has and still is been our intention to hold a serious event that can be run safely and for the good of Offshore Powerboat Racing. We value the contribution that all concerned are making and this includes the UK racers and their crew and families. I reiterate my original invitation to all of you to join us in Ireland for a new Marathon event that can only help to reinforce the overall Offshore Racing season and hopefully contribute in an effective way. Help from experienced and knowlegable UK racers or officials is always welcome.

Getting Here: We have worked hard with Irish Ferries and have negotiated a discount of 50% with them for all competitors coming to Ireland for the event. This is based on paid registrations but should mitigate the cost of entering the event. We have also been working closely with the Hotels and will make available an online booking service for all those interested.
We asked Ryanair for some cheap flights also, I can't repeat their answer.

Entry Costs: Fees have been set as per the registration page but it should be noted that they are capped at €8000.

Finally my phone is always on and my email is always available.
These are justin.mcinerney@aroundireland.org or +353 87 2534849.
It is not a problem to speak with any of you and I am open and willing to answer any and all questions you may have. I am also available to assist with any logistical issues you may have, and together I am sure we can get things sorted.

I generally agree that information todate has been less than satisfactory and that we should be more up to speed. Unfortunately organising this even in such a short time frame means priorities are sometimes askew and that we may not satisfy all your questions in a timely manner.

That said, you should realise that Offshore Powerboat Racing is what this is about and that in all cases we are working to advance this cause. A little support would go a long way.

Finally, if you have any questions that need answering feel free to ask. Mind reading is not my strong point and right now we are all too painfully aware that time is limited.

Get on board, it will be a great event, and we look forward to welcoming you all to Ireland.

Regards,

Justin Mc Inerney.
Around Ireland Offshore Powerboat Race 2010.
+353 87 2534849
justin.mcinerney@aroundireland.org

macrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Just spoken to Justin to get the latest from the horses mouth - it was before lunch and I don't think the St Patricks day celebrations had started yet so he was totally sober!

He says that they have 25 boats all entered and paid up - Fabio's bringing 3 boats - the 3 US boats are still coming - and there is no doubt that it will happen. They are having a press launch in Dublin on the 27th March and hope to come over to talk to the Brits in Southampton or wherever is most convenient for most people soon as it is just us lot that haven't entered!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #3

Surprised that the event website hasn't been updated with all the teams who've entered.

Actually I'm not surprised.