Boatmad.com

Old 11-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #41

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

As a 'relevant' side track - where the term brass monkeys came from....just had this definition sent

Cannon Balls
It was necessary to keep a good supply of cannon balls near the cannon on old war ships. But how to prevent them from rolling about the deck was the problem. The best storage method devised was to stack them as a square based pyramid with one ball on top resting on four resting on nine which rested on sixteen. Thus a supply of 30 cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon.

There was only one problem -- how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding/rolling from under the others. The solution was a metal plate with 16 round indentations called a Monkey. But if this plate were made of iron the iron balls would quickly rust to it. The solution to the rusting problem was to make Brass Monkeys.

Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled. Consequently when the temperature dropped too far the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannon balls would come right off the monkey. Thus it was quite literally cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. And all this time you thought that was a vulgar expression didn't you?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #42

..."our survey said...Nah! "

http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/brass.asp

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #43

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

sounded like a good story!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #44

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

This is my favourite bit of "mythology"...

http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/pluckyew.asp
Old 29-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #45

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

ML hasn't this topic already been covered a couple of posts back or am I missing somefink or more to the point have you had to much Xmas Sherry

Hay cheat you removed the post ...

that ain't fair
Old 29-12-2008, 11:24 PM   #46

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
ML hasn't this topic already been covered a couple of posts back or am I missing somefink or more to the point have you had to much Xmas Sherry

Hay cheat you removed the post ...

that ain't fair
I posted and then realised Adam had beaten me to it. Senility is creeping in if its not there already
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:30 PM   #47

Well with the BM less than a month away I normally start to speculate around now who may turn out for it and as I pointed out on the UKOBA thread I am always as a spectator very appreciative from 1.3L through to the zillion hp class of whom ever turns up at the start line for the classic freeze ye ass off race

So who will turn up ... the 3C or F200 class, normally have a few entries and then their was a Honda or 2 that did'nt do so bad last year, and the ever spectacular V24 boats plus this year a V28 if fuelled

Of the large boats last year most were not yet completed as they were entered in the RB 08, so now these boats are completed and sitting on their trailers awaiting a bit of a pre season endurance shake down who will dip their toe in the icy waters of Bournemouth Bay, going by the RB08 and CTC entrant list their are many from ML favourite mono to smaller single engine RIB's
Old 08-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #48

Quote:
Well with the BM less than a month away I normally start to speculate around now who may turn out for it and as I pointed out on the UKOBA thread I am always as a spectator very appreciative from 1.3L through to the zillion hp class of whom ever turns up at the start line for the classic freeze ye ass off race

So who will turn up ... the 3C or F200 class, normally have a few entries and then their was a Honda or 2 that did'nt do so bad last year, and the ever spectacular V24 boats plus this year a V28 if fuelled

Of the large boats last year most were not yet completed as they were entered in the RB 08, so now these boats are completed and sitting on their trailers awaiting a bit of a pre season endurance shake down who will dip their toe in the icy waters of Bournemouth Bay, going by the RB08 and CTC entrant list their are many from ML favourite mono to smaller single engine RIB's
I never like to rush things but as you say only a month away. As we may become Brass Monkey virgins

A small amount of info might be usefull
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #49
I don't do mornings!!

For your information, here is the Brass Monkey Advance Notice and Entry Form.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 2009 advance notice BRASS MONKEY.doc (34.0 KB, 180 views)
File Type: doc 2009 Brass Monkey entry form.doc (74.0 KB, 126 views)
D~OOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #50

Interests: finish the race
Cruising area: ww

Got a funny feeling Honeyparty wont join this year !! shame, loved to see that boat running the BM (deadslow)
ForTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #51

Any BM members racing ? if so in what boats. ( not checking out the opposition just wondering.)
Old 26-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Any BM members racing ? if so in what boats. ( not checking out the opposition just wondering.)
Is that a question Barry ... as to is the cup mine for the taking, could be lets have a rough light hearted look at the fleet and see ...

Uk based runners and riders capable of entering the BM and rob Barry of the cup ... perhaps the fastest of them all the 40' Fountain Blastoff with a 100mph+ speed but could it make it round the cans as it's electrical gremlins have denied it a flag many times and it has never entered the BM so very unlikely next up Venturer with a speed over 90 very capable boat in any seas but again never done the BM so unlikely, Cinzano another very capable boat but will it's new German owner take it for a spin unlikely, then there's Yellow drama from the CTC again never done BM so unlikely, Flyin Falon from the CTC again never done BM so again unlikely, Garmin in bits, the Buzzi/Fountain ex Pro Vee with broken box not run for yonks and never done BM so that's out, Carbon neutral not done BM but who knows maybe, Relentless another unknown, Going Lean not done BM but again maybe, then there is the EX P1 Sunseeker XS being refitted this one is according to rumours Currying or racing so it's a ? mark, and what of the P1 super sport fleet like Silverline Buzzi Bullet with either the RIB or the 40' both are great boats and could take the flag and they have entered before so that's a maybe, Ocean Dragon Racing again has done the BM once before so who knows a maybe, VoomVoom.com never done BM so unlikely, and last the new boat from P1 Team Konrad another who knows, the last few Mr Mako another never done BM so unlikely, that just leaves in my book Hot Lemon that has done the BM before and may just have a few mph on The Bandit and of course Swipewipes.co.uk but with lack of power it would need to be blowing a hoolie to stand a chance of the flag
That's it I think for the big boys and the 2ltr fleet are unlikely to trouble the Bandit or any one off dayrunner, but that does leave the normal 1-3 V24 that may take part all are very capable and quicker if it's calm and they punch well above their size even in the rough however for my money the V28 with low 80's and more size I think gets the top odds on to win assuming the budget runs to a little more fuel than normal

Well that's my fun look at the fleet sorry if I missed someone out and as has been said before pity about Honeyparty but that's life or at least that's the recession for you, so good luck Barry and at least for those who enter hopefully a beer or hot coffee will be waiting at the Royal Motor on return with a big cheer for all
Old 26-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #53

Quote:
Is that a question Barry ... as to is the cup mine for the taking, could be lets have a rough light hearted look at the fleet and see ...

Uk based runners and riders capable of entering the BM and rob Barry of the cup ... perhaps the fastest of them all the 40' Fountain Blastoff with a 100mph+ speed but could it make it round the cans as it's electrical gremlins have denied it a flag many times and it has never entered the BM so very unlikely next up Venturer with a speed over 90 very capable boat in any seas but again never done the BM so unlikely, Cinzano another very capable boat but will it's new German owner take it for a spin unlikely, then there's Yellow drama from the CTC again never done BM so unlikely, Flyin Falon from the CTC again never done BM so again unlikely, Garmin in bits, the Buzzi/Fountain ex Pro Vee with broken box not run for yonks and never done BM so that's out, Carbon neutral not done BM but who knows maybe, Relentless another unknown, Going Lean not done BM but again maybe, then there is the EX P1 Sunseeker XS being refitted this one is according to rumours Currying or racing so it's a ? mark, and what of the P1 super sport fleet like Silverline Buzzi Bullet with either the RIB or the 40' both are great boats and could take the flag and they have entered before so that's a maybe, Ocean Dragon Racing again has done the BM once before so who knows a maybe, VoomVoom.com never done BM so unlikely, and last the new boat from P1 Team Konrad another who knows, the last few Mr Mako another never done BM so unlikely, that just leaves in my book Hot Lemon that has done the BM before and may just have a few mph on The Bandit and of course Swipewipes.co.uk but with lack of power it would need to be blowing a hoolie to stand a chance of the flag
That's it I think for the big boys and the 2ltr fleet are unlikely to trouble the Bandit or any one off dayrunner, but that does leave the normal 1-3 V24 that may take part all are very capable and quicker if it's calm and they punch well above their size even in the rough however for my money the V28 with low 80's and more size I think gets the top odds on to win assuming the budget runs to a little more fuel than normal

Well that's my fun look at the fleet sorry if I missed someone out and as has been said before pity about Honeyparty but that's life or at least that's the recession for you, so good luck Barry and at least for those who enter hopefully a beer or hot coffee will be waiting at the Royal Motor on return with a big cheer for all
I take it your bored at the moment.

V24's are always quick flat or calm.
Old 26-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #54

Quote:
I take it your bored at the moment.
Ye, your right Monday morning is not a good time normally and thankfully I'm to busy but I was up really early to get things done and therefore I could post in my coffee break which has come around again yippee anyhow due to a recession busting very good Friday and Saturday stock levels are now looking a bit sad until more stock arrives later, although we have had a few marines and keen rugby players etc to keep us ticking over this morning, so who knows what this afternoon will bring

PS ... It's alright for you taxi people you can post on ye Blackberry's and watch DVD's on those portable car thingy's then have a snooze on the back roads while waiting for a punter
Old 26-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #55
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
V24's are always quick flat or calm.
My money will be on James.
The V24's (if standard) will do 75mph at best in the sea. 74mph if rough. James will do 78mph for the brass monkey and will be able to outpace every V24.
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #56
Lance

Interests: most make boat go faster!
Boat name: have customer key board!!
Boat make: the most horse power
Engines: black is beautiful!! not fussy
Cruising area: if there's boats im there

We shall be there! Hi mark 79.9 cpc! sounds like it will be a good turn out from the jungle drums!
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #57

Interests: Boating, Shooting,Fishing
Boat name: Oklahoma / Project Racing Team
Boat make: Aqua Star 33 - a tug!
Engines: Perkins Sabre 300
Cruising area: Round Britain

got me fuel tokens and paid me entry fee so whos else is in ?
Old 28-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1DEY View Post
got me fuel tokens and paid me entry fee so whos else is in ?
Going to drivers on sat to check the boat if alls well we will be there.
Old 28-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #59

Boat name: B-52
Cruising area: The Solent

Brass Monkey ?

Time table of event ...anyone ? Link to event wouldn't open.
Thanks in advance.
gap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #60
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Worked OK here , cut & paste below

THE ROYAL MOTOR YACHT CLUB ADVANCE NOTICE for “THE BRASS MONKEY POWERBOAT RACE”
incorporating
THE WINTER GOLD CUP

SATURDAY
7TH FEBRUARY 2009

Race Control and Pit Area
~ Situated at “The North Haven Yacht Club” Sandbanks, Poole, Dorset~
Sandbanks Car Park & The Royal Motor Yacht Club

Saturday 7th February 2009
Signing in / Administration ~North Haven Yacht Club ~ 08.00 to 10.30.
Scrutineering ~ Sandbanks Car Park ~ 08.00 to 10.30
Safety Briefing ~ 10.30
Drivers’ Briefing ~ North Haven Yacht Club ~ 11.00

Launching off RMYC Slipway ~ from 11.00
 If crane launching is required, please make private arrangements

RACE START TIME ~ 14.00 off Boscombe Pier
Race Course: 7 laps = 36.19nm or 40 minutes duration ~ off Bournemouth Pier

Prizegiving ~ The Royal Motor Yacht Club ~ 16.30

Entry Forms available from The Royal Motor Yacht Club
Tel: 01202 707227. Fax: 01202 708775
e-mail ~ enquiries@rmyc.co.uk

ENTRY FEE ~£80.00

Closing date for entries 28th January 2009

Race Status: RYA Basic
Licences: RYA; Basic Event Licences available @ £60 each from Race Control.
Classes Eligible: CLASS 3, RHIBS, OCR, HONDA, SPORTSBOATS, V24.

BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote