Boatmad.com

Old 08-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #1

Cancellation of Cowes National

This is a 'How are we going to approach this' thread, not the is accomplished already, sorry to dissapoint.

We have a few issues with Cowes, I'll list them in random order:
  • Cowes 'hard standing' accomodation is too crowded.
  • P1 dont allow the use of their crane, and jump the queue to use 'our' crane, even when launching is not a priority for them.
  • P1 treat 'us' with contempt - look at the prizgiving and 'trophy'.
  • Cowes cancell the only real good thing about their event - the Round the Island.
  • Cowes cancell the V24 race and merge it with the BASIC and then curtail the race.
  • Cowes costs more than going to Italy for the Europeans.
  • Cowes marshals 'bully' the non P1 fleet.
  • Cowes is held at the same time as 10 million sail boats are in the water creating a hazard to racing.
  • Cowes is too soon after the previous National event.

If you can think of more reasons, please list them.

If you can think of steps to take next, please list them.

There is a general support for cancelling Cowes. It is our race. It is our sport we should be able to do something to control what happens in it!

FabFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
The Doc

I've been to Cowes as a spectator for the past 3 years & loved it!

That said, i can see the issues at hand; especially the loss of its main event (in my eyes)..... the Round Island Race

However, i think those envolved must gather in a positive mood to 'work-through' the issues in order that the event not get cancelled this year & perhaps forever.

It seems one of the single biggest problems is the August B/H weekend; a date thas has pros & Cons in equal measure.

Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
CB1

The cost of competing at Cowes is very high. Accommodation has always been at a premium, but now with the P1 fleet, and all the hangers on, it is near immposable to find decent LOCAL accom. We are with you all the way on this on Mark. Racing down the solent one way then perhaps a few laps at the end of a race was not a problem, but multi lap, short courses and all they intail and the relitvely closely matched speeds of the class, along side the ammount of yellow wellies on the course have turned it into more of an exercise in collision avoidance than a race.
CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:07 PM   #4

Interests: Extreme Sports, Cars, Boats

Send a message via MSN to Rupert Munro
I can see your points are very valid, but agree with Choas - I have been a spectator for the last three years and have had a really good weekend with all the races going on - the P1 will always dominate the front of the Promenade as the race that most people will want to watch (due to proximity to the seafront and good chance to see much racing) I always thought that the best race was the round the island one and loved the feedack heard over the various radios and then there was the interest on who we'd see first coming back down the channel. Surely there must be a way for your event to be improved so that its better for you and therefore also for those who come to support all the racing? It would be a shame if it turned into just 2 P1 races... anyway just my thoughts...
Rupert Munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Ohhhh great idea
how about the thrilled spectators paying a flat fee per head & split it between the class III fleet to offset the higher costs

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #6

Cruising area: solent

thanks for raising this marC the more that come along to the AGM the better to discuss things like this so we can go forward as a club rather than bitchin individually (not aimed at anyone just my opinion) we can as a club hope to have a more vocal say on things some may not want to go to certain venues, crap medals trophies etc (how would i know??!!) some may want to; but as the calender is looking very full and possibly congested at certain times next year and the fees for all races almost certain to go up due to whatever reason we could have a vote or at least show of hands for certain events. and as yet we are not sure whats even happenning with cowes ie courses rti p1 wppa uim etc have v24 got enough boats to attend this year for any event?? the list goes on and as i said is not aimed at anyone or delivered as such but come along on the 20th (blimey i'm even missing a home pompey match for the first time) cos things need saying and sorting.
ta off soap box bye
floater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:16 PM   #7

Interests: Powerboat racing, travel, curries, zimmers
Boat name: "N" Class fabrication
Boat make: B23
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: Torbay & Falmouth

Charlie, I was going to raise this along with some other items at the AGM but it has become clear that there are quite a few others who are not happy with the Cowes set up. I think Mark is sounding out other peoples views so that a clear message is available for onward transmission to the organisers, hopefully to get something resolved.
Missing Pompeys home game will be no big deal cos those conference sides are not worth watching anyway!!
I also expect to see your licence application filled out and ready for posting back to the RYA!
"Old beardy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #8

Interests: Makin my boat faster!
Boat name: S.B Racing
Boat make: Ocke mannerfelt canopied B23 / Zapcat
Engines: Merc 200XS Gen 2 / Tohatsu 50
Cruising area: littlehampton/Southampton

[/QUOTE]
I also expect to see your licence application filled out and ready for posting back to the RYA![/QUOTE]

Here here! You'll only wish you were out there and regret not doing it if you watch us race!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #9

Cruising area: solent

I also expect to see your licence application filled out and ready for posting back to the RYA![/QUOTE]

Here here! You'll only wish you were out there and regret not doing it if you watch us race![/QUOTE]

i will still see you race (both of you ) cos i'm puttin mirrors on the old girl so ben will keep me informed of how your doing but i have promised the wife i'm not racing so will prob not do full season but have to get them heated for brass monkey!.
don't forget i'm not slagging marc off about this just not really allowed to vent my own feelings about it but as a competitor i did feel i paid a big price to walk around cowes with my big powerboat racers jacket on !!! by the way ben if we do venture out have you got your own rod or are you happy using pauls old thing!!
floater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:44 PM   #10

Interests: Repairing my boat
Boat name: TABOO
Boat make: ******** 25
Engines: Mercury Optimax 225
Cruising area: North Wales

Cowes

Lots of good points re Cowes06. However to be fair to organizers, it should be pointed out that the cancelling of the Round the Island race was decided by the local harbour masters.

Their reasons where based on safety. The 2005 P1 race started their concerns, with some race boats missing the finishing shute and doing a slalom course at 70mph amongst mored and spectator boats. Then the clincher came a few weeks before Cowes. Apprently when King of Shaves crashed at Plymouth, most, if not all the other C1 boats ignored the red flags and continued racing. This was whitnessed by the Cowes HM, so he stipulated that their had to be a safety boat on station every 200 yds for the RTI race. This was an impossible condition impossed on the organisers.

What you should know is that the Sunday P1 race was technically raced without insurance. As P1 changed the race details at the drivers briefing without informing or consulting the relevant authorities. I heard it was touch and go, whether UKOBA & the RYA would have them back again.

P1 promotion is 1st class, however they should keep well away from the actual race organizing & control.

Cheers
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:57 PM   #11

Interests: Makin my boat faster!
Boat name: S.B Racing
Boat make: Ocke mannerfelt canopied B23 / Zapcat
Engines: Merc 200XS Gen 2 / Tohatsu 50
Cruising area: littlehampton/Southampton

i will still see you race (both of you ) cos i'm puttin mirrors on the old girl so ben will keep me informed of how your doing but i have promised the wife i'm not racing so will prob not do full season but have to get them heated for brass monkey!.
don't forget i'm not slagging marc off about this just not really allowed to vent my own feelings about it but as a competitor i did feel i paid a big price to walk around cowes with my big powerboat racers jacket on !!! by the way ben if we do venture out have you got your own rod or are you happy using pauls old thing!! [/QUOTE]

Wonder what its goin to be this year? Bend over and ?????
Old 09-01-2007, 01:30 AM   #12
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

Has anyone considered their sponsor's opinion if they don't attend Cowes? It is a given that there is very little media coverage (and spectator interest for that matter) in offshore powerboat racing. Cowes with all of its faults is the best opportunity for the sponsors of raceboats to get their names/products in front of the public. Take that away and what do the sponsors have left? With the best will in the world, a small group of family/friends/supporters on the end a pier is not a sponsors dream market.

I agree entirely that Cowes over the past few years could have been far more accommodating to all the racers, not just what had been perceived as the premier classes but to miss Cowes and the only real advertising/marketing opportunity in the UK may be self destructive.

The premise of my argument is that the majority of 3C boats are sponsored. If you are self financing, please disregard the above.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:43 AM   #13

Interests: Powerboat racing, travel, curries, zimmers
Boat name: "N" Class fabrication
Boat make: B23
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: Torbay & Falmouth

I can see where you are coming from Ben but all the media coverage from Cowes was centred around P1 and Honda, 3C were again treated as also rans, surely from a sponsors point of view that must be a bit galling. I can only speak of my own sponsors who would love to come and watch us race at most venues but they are also ordinary working people who find it difficult for business reasons to take time off during the week to come and watch us race. Admittedly they are not putting in the big bucks that some of the Honda and P1 teams seem to attract but they are sponsors none the less and need to be treated well. They are happy with the reports I send them and the excellent coverage that Pat Peedell has got us through "World of Powerboats". When they enquire about ferry crossings, accommodation etc the expence is very off putting for them and they would rather attend one of the mainland events. Again this is based on my situation and may not be everybodys view.
"Old beardy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #14

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Old beardy" View Post
I can see where you are coming from Ben but all the media coverage from Cowes was centred around P1 and Honda, 3C were again treated as also rans, surely from a sponsors point of view that must be a bit galling. I can only speak of my own sponsors who would love to come and watch us race at most venues but they are also ordinary working people who find it difficult for business reasons to take time off during the week to come and watch us race. Admittedly they are not putting in the big bucks that some of the Honda and P1 teams seem to attract but they are sponsors none the less and need to be treated well. They are happy with the reports I send them and the excellent coverage that Pat Peedell has got us through "World of Powerboats". When they enquire about ferry crossings, accommodation etc the expence is very off putting for them and they would rather attend one of the mainland events. Again this is based on my situation and may not be everybodys view.
Welcome to our world of powerboat Racing !!
Old 17-01-2007, 11:48 PM   #15

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Martin The Talker

As a member of the commentary team at Cowes over the last two years, & before then too, can I state that while many things may be wrong at Cowes, it is still the best bet that offshore racing has in the UK, for publicity, TV coverage, &, lets be honest, continuation of the sport.
We may not like the way certain things are done by the sponsors/organisers, but hell, they do run a spectacular weekends racing !
The smaller classes have always cribbed at being out of the limelight at events like Cowes. But lets not forget, it was Sir Max Aitken who started the sport in 1961, with the Cowes/Torquay, which was the fore-runner of the Cowes event we know today. From that came, in 1962, the fore-runner of Class 3, & so on. Without the first C/T race, it may never have got started as a sport here.
The smaller race classes have always been second fiddle to the big boats at this event - thats life ! Other races give 2 litre, etc the chance to be "top dogs", and, as to the Round the Island, well it has already been well stated on this thread, that the rti race was killed off by the Harbour Master, the
QHM Portsmouth, & Health & Safety legislation generally. Don't blaim KBL, UKOBA, or who ever.
Yes, it was regrettable that the Basic race was curtailed, I agree; but for KBL to run the show, their main event each day is the P1 race, & it has to be as close to schedule as possible. Without it, the whole event falls.
I would love to see a return to a Cowes/Torquay & back race, but the boats in sufficient numbers are no longer ther, & safety rules, etc would make it a virtual impossibility now. The RTI race can be run without entering the critical waters from Bembridge around Ryde to Castle Point, using a turn off Ventnor, & return back via The Needles. It just remains top be seen if the authorities would allow it.
As to the number of sailboats, etc., well, Summer BH is the races traditional date since the 1960's, & no-one wants to take the risk of changing that, plus, to do so means all other clubs event dates would have to be reviwed too.
A closing point, is that the Cowes event is still "owned" by the BPRC, & KBL lease it on a contract. They are the holders of the UIM contract to run endurance racing in the world at present.
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 01:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin The Talker View Post
As a member of the commentary team at Cowes over the last two years, & before then too, can I state that while many things may be wrong at Cowes, it is still the best bet that offshore racing has in the UK, for publicity, TV coverage, &, lets be honest, continuation of the sport..
*EDITED* by JF

If Cowes is the future of powerboat racing in the UK then the future is very very very dark.

The 'minor' classes get no publicity, no TV, and get stuffed around. There is no benefit for 'us' at Cowes except to pay 5 x over the odds for a race event that we know will have one race cancelled, the other curtailed or shortened, at an event we dont want to be at!

It is also the week after another National event!!

If Class 1 does not require the 'minor classes' to be in attendance to put in a performance, why does Cowes P1 require us?

We dont want to be there. We are forced to be there because the points system in place dictates that if you miss Cowes you will finish below every boat that compleates the Cowes course in the National Championships.

If Cowes is sure they are offering something attractive to the competitors, why dont they apply to the RYA for the National Points allocated to the event to be withdrawn? They can still hold the race, but those who dont want to go to Cowes simply are not forced to go.

They treat us with contempt, yet force us to attend! What the F&$K is that about? They have us there under protest, we dont want to be there, so why not let us go free? Because they want our entry fee which they sure as hell know we have to pay else the seasons championships are pointless!
FabFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 01:35 AM   #17
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

Martin holds a different opinion than yours and simply mentioned a few salient points - telling it as is is, not as we would all like to see it. That is certainly no reason for a personal attack on a person who has been a loyal supporter and enthusiast for many years.

If you don't want to go to Cowes, don't go but please keep the insults to yourself.
Old 18-01-2007, 06:20 AM   #18
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Cowes sucks, always has, always will, you wont ever change it.
Run totally for old boy network & masons.
Been like it 25 years or more the same today.
If you dont like something get ya asses down to the ORDA AGM and get it across, you wont change the attitude at cowes but maybe the race status.
It's a weekend out for the "golden childeren & fossils" Apart from the first line Marc is quite correct IMO.
"Your only as good as your last race"
So Cowes is complete Tosh....QED

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 08:08 AM   #19

Interests: Boats Cars women and wine
Boat name: The Bandit & The Bandit1
Boat make: Revenger San Marino & Hunton Rib
Engines: For sale Twin 225 Opti's
Cruising area: The Solent

As a spectator of 20 odd years i enjoy the event and P1 has bought it back to its better days as we all like to see the 2000 hp boats. However i love the small class boats aswell as these are boats similar but quicker than the likes of the public
The question must be does P1 need you? As a spectator i believe they do otherwise it wont be deemed as a festival of power. If that is the case then as a collective group you will have power to force some changes.
If the answer is no then you wont be able to make changes and there is no point to race.
I for one would be dissapointed however i would fully understand your reasons and if i was racing i would tell them were to shove the race, up there a-----
the bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 10:06 AM   #20
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

At the risk of being sworn at, I actually like racing at Cowes. I've only not raced there once in the last 7 years, in 2003, because we were in Norway at the 3C Worlds (which we won).
I agree that this last year I would have been upset, if in a V24 or basic boat to have one shortened race for my money was bad. But with P1, Honda, Class 3, V24, and Basic to sort out, I wouldnt have fancied being OOD / schedule organiser. At least all the helicopters remained in the air.

Obviously the entry fee is too high, (I know cos I pay all the entry fees),especially coupled with ferry costs. One year, Class 3 were put in a shitty boatyard up the river a bit, cos the main pits were too full.
It has many faults and costs, but I for one would be sad not to race there.

I realise I am probably alone in my opinion, but certainly entitled to it.