Boatmad.com

Old 04-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #1

Cesa's new engines!

Fiat back in competition

By IBI Magazine/Dag Pike

Italian motor giant Fiat is back in the powerboat competition market after an absence of many years. It has been announced that the marine engine side of the business is now known as Fiat Power Train (FPT) and they will be supplying engines to top Italian powerboat designer, builder and driver Fabio Buzzi who will be using them on the Round Britain race scheduled to start in June.

This is a fitting debut for the Fiat diesels as they supplied the engines and sponsored the winning boat, White Iveco, in the last Round Britain race held in 1984. Fabio Buzzi was the winner of that race and he will be fitting the new FPT diesels into his entry Cesa, the boat that will start the race as one of the favourites to win. Cesa is no stranger to the Fiat diesels and a version of these engines was the original fitting in the boat before she was equipped with the more powerful Seatek diesels.

The FPT diesels that Buzzi will use will be the 6.7lt common rail engines that have a normal rating of 450hp. Buzzi hopes to raise this rating to 550hp for the racing engines by tuning when they will offer a weight to power ratio of 4kg/hp. This compares with the 3.1kg/hp of the 10.6lt 750hp Seatek diesels that are currently fitted to Cesa and Buzzi expects the speed of Cesa to drop from 110mph to 94mph with the change of engines.

Cesa will also change its name to FPT in line with the new sponsorship. The reduction in speed of the boat with the new engines will bring FPT more into line with its competitors in the race but she will still retain the advantage of having four engines, important in a race where the boats have to finish every leg within a time limit to qualify for the overall title. The terms of the sponsorship of FPT have not been disclosed but it is also looking a possibility that FPT may be a race sponsor as well as a boat sponsor.

(4 April 2008)l

John G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #2

I may be wrong but i believe there the engines going into the Top Gear boat

hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #3

Interests: photography
Cruising area: Pevensey Bay / Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Don't think so, though can't remember what they are. saw the boat the other day and looking very good, got the drives on which look interesting.
Tom Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #4

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Nah, they are using Marine Diesels from Sweden. How's your boat coming along and do you still need those extra seats?
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
Nah, they are using Marine Diesels from Sweden. How's your boat coming along and do you still need those extra seats?
Lets hope she goes quicker than the build. Getting frustrated.

We have a supplier who is going to chuck some expensive electronics in if we can get her finished quickly. so clever i'm told it can even drive the boat if we wanted

Yes please on the seats.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #6

Will get those seats going on Monday.

What can be the problem about putting a couple of engines in and drives? Outboards would have been so much quicker and you would have been on the water by now!!!!
ML.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #7

Interests: Powerboat racing & Rallying

There's a saying that 'you should never let the facts get in the way of a good story', but I think you might find that for the past year or so Team Sunseeker have been running a pair of 480hp FTP's in the boot of their Sunseeker Challenger which they have been campaigning in Powerboat P1 SuperSport Class. It's fair to say that these new units have caused the team a few headaches, but this year they should be more reliable.
Then I did it to please others.
Then I did it for Money.
Chris Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
Will get those seats going on Monday.

What can be the problem about putting a couple of engines in and drives? Outboards would have been so much quicker and you would have been on the water by now!!!!
ML.
Nope cause it's got nothing to do with the inboards.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
Any more late night texts you want to share with me? I was really dissapointed to read that - are things going to be resolved?
ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #10

Crew Wanted for the RB08

Crew/Navigator wanted urgently for Classic Class (Fairey Huntsman 31).

Contact John Skuse 01628 624025(eve) 0207 580 4808 (day)

Old 07-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #11

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Fiat back in competition
This compares with the 3.1kg/hp of the 10.6lt 750hp Seatek diesels that are currently fitted to Cesa and Buzzi expects the speed of Cesa to drop from 110mph to 94mph with the change of engines.
(4 April 2008)l
This statement does not seem likely, surely this would make Cesa far to weighty ie...4X750hp engines at 3.1kg/hp = 9300kg, thereby total boat weight would end up probably well over 12000kg...I would imagine Cesa weighed in during it's racing days around 8000KG dry
Old 07-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
This statement does not seem likely, surely this would make Cesa far to weighty ie...4X750hp engines at 3.1kg/hp = 9300kg, thereby total boat weight would end up probably well over 12000kg...I would imagine Cesa weighed in during it's racing days around 8000KG dry
I can only say that Fabio has just done his homework, as you would expect, and the figure quoted re speed is correct. Also, Dag Pike has got the ear of Fabio and has posted the correct info straight from the horses mouth within 8hours of this info becoming available!
Old 07-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #13

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Yes I did not completely say never never, just unlikely however as you point out coming straight from FB himself, together with Dag Pike has raced alongside and written many great articles over the years so as you say these sort of people do not make mistakes, I can only think something in the translation went wrong or the whole picture was not given setting me off thinking on the wrong track and assuming the boat with it's 4 engines finishes every leg with at least 3 of it's 4 engines still running it must rank as a favorite of course unless a crane driver alters the odds slightly
Old 07-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
Yes I did not completely say never never, just unlikely however as you point out coming straight from FB himself, together with Dag Pike has raced alongside and written many great articles over the years so as you say these sort of people do not make mistakes, I can only think something in the translation went wrong or the whole picture was not given setting me off thinking on the wrong track and assuming the boat with it's 4 engines finishes every leg with at least 3 of it's 4 engines still running it must rank as a favorite of course unless a crane driver alters the odds slightly
Heaven help us if he does, that's the crane driver I'm talking about.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #15
/280

Interests: Motorsport

a new article on world of powerboats about cesa's engines, http://www.worldofpowerboats.com/new...cles/00083.php

225 is offline   Reply With Quote