Boatmad.com

Old 09-09-2010, 12:36 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Cowes 2011 update

The RYA have applied to the UIM for the 2011 Cowes Torquay Cowes as an international invitation event August 26th - 28th, hosted by the British Powerboat Racing Club.

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #2

RYS Start

Due to the excellent work this year of OOD Rob Andrews, Race Secretary Sally Windsor and Safety Officer Helen Strickland, the BPRC will be able to run the start of the 2011 Cowes Torquay Cowes from the Royal Yacht Squadron.

At this early time, can I thank the individuals already helping for safety boats in "Gasoline Alley"

Old 09-09-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

Great news!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
living the dream

Interests: BOAT RACING
Boat name: i call her baby
Boat make: Aero-tek
Engines: a lot of horses
Cruising area: WW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Great news!
i second that !!!!!!! GREAT !!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:13 AM   #5
Steve

Interests: Powerboat Enthusiast
Boat name: Orashi
Boat make: Shetland 21
Engines: 55
Cruising area: Solent

Thats fantastic news , even better with the start being at RYS, that and
'Martin the Talker' doing his bit along The Parade and The Green were the two main ingrediants missing from this year festival.
Next years event, will be back where it belongs, at the top of Offshore racing calendars must do event for enthusiasts and drivers .
woottonwillis153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #6
longbow

Interests: Life.
Cruising area: South Coast

That is great news. However, although we have been waituing for almost two weeks there are still no photos from the Helicopter of both races, why?
I did read here that Mr Hendricks had paid for the helicopter and Mr Davis was the photographer in the helicopter.
There must have been some great photos taken and yet we are seeing nothing, any reason for that Mr Davis, Mr Hendricks, Ciao?
longbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #7

Marvellous..!!

Sorry to sound like someone from "The Fast Show"... but that's Brilliant!!

As stated in posts above, that is indeed really good news and just what is needed to bring the race back into the public eye... My sister-in-law, a true Cowes born-and-bred native, said of this year's race: "Island people won't come down to watch it, if it's starting off the Needles"

This will bring back the spectacle. Let us know how many safety boats this is going to require John... Might have to dust-off my RYA ICC ticket and hire a rib.

Whatever it takes..!
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
That is great news. However, although we have been waituing for almost two weeks there are still no photos from the Helicopter of both races, why?
I did read here that Mr Hendricks had paid for the helicopter and Mr Davis was the photographer in the helicopter.
There must have been some great photos taken and yet we are seeing nothing, any reason for that Mr Davis, Mr Hendricks, Ciao?
Mr.Ciao,would you like to give a comment to the public at large.Ha Ha!
Or is this part of your Facebook recruitment drive?
We hold ourselves in readiness!
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #9
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Can I suggest a little tweak for 2011? It was a bit of a free for all in the Marina and there didn't seem to be anybody in charge down there - we popped out to check things over, when we came back a boat had been abandoned where we were moored - we shuffled everything around and got back in - the guy turned up the next morning and confessed he knew he shouldn't be there but thought it would be "OK"!

Just a thought to make it a bit easier for the racers and safety boats!

Someone even roped of a section for their mates so that they could all raft up together!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Can I suggest a little tweak for 2011? It was a bit of a free for all in the Marina and there didn't seem to be anybody in charge down there - we popped out to check things over, when we came back a boat had been abandoned where we were moored - we shuffled everything around and got back in - the guy turned up the next morning and confessed he knew he shouldn't be there but thought it would be "OK"!

Just a thought to make it a bit easier for the racers and safety boats!

Someone even roped of a section for their mates so that they could all raft up together!
i second that John, we had to moor three deep because a guy in an orange 19ft raceboat had blocked two other bays, he was even more rude than me when we moved it back a bit
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #11
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
he was even more rude than me when we moved it back a bit

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

could it have been an orange 21' race boat? (P21), sort of salmon orange

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #13
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
could it have been an orange 21' race boat? (P21), sort of salmon orange
I think I know to whom you are alluding.........
Old 09-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #14

Moorings

I totally agree with Cookee the North Basin should of been policed like it has in the past. However in our Rules you never move someone elses boat unless it is an emergency. Also you need to listen to what people say as well as you where told there was a boat moored in front of the Orange Phatom 21 when it was moored there the Evening before. Your excuse you wanted to move a boat you dont own so the boat you where moored against could move when they wanted. Did the boat that you where moored against actually do anything for the Event?
SO Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #15
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

There did seem to be more large leisure boats in the north basin than I've seen before at a Cowes event, I'm sure they all had valid reasons for being there....but we could tell it was going to be tricky to tie the boat up somewhere once we launched on sunday. Just managed to squeeze on the end of a pontoon with the stern hangin out a bit. Bats arent the easist to have alongside at the best of times. Without a dedicated wet pits team, theres bound to be a bit of strife with getting everybody parked up tidy. Specially when everybody''s a bit keyed up before a race..........(sorry Mr Fiddy for shoutin at you a few years back)

Still, at least nobody got mounted from behind, like last year....eh Frank....
Old 09-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #16

I wanted to keep this a Cowes 2011 thread!

However.

Wet Pits. When we first booked the Haven (today 1 year ago) The then manager Steve Cole told me the Haven staff would look after the water side.

Lesson learnt, next year we will have a Water Marshall.

Helicopter Shots.

The primary function of the chopper was to make a TV programme of the 2 races - Chris Davies used his squatting rights to be on board. Chris has supplied competitors photographs of their boats as well as Fiat Powertrain & Wettpunkt.com who paid for the TV show.

I will put up a new thread with a selection of the shots.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO Queen View Post
I totally agree with Cookee the North Basin should of been policed like it has in the past. However in our Rules you never move someone elses boat unless it is an emergency. Also you need to listen to what people say as well as you where told there was a boat moored in front of the Orange Phatom 21 when it was moored there the Evening before. Your excuse you wanted to move a boat you dont own so the boat you where moored against could move when they wanted. Did the boat that you where moored against actually do anything for the Event?
if that was you with the orange boat, yes, the chap that you were rude to the evening before saying you wouldn't move and that you doubted if he could get his boat in that gap was something to do with the race, the boat i was moving was GEE and i look after her and i have every right to do what i want with her, the one that you were rude to was freddy and he had been ask by the other one on the very inside if he could move as he wanted to go, it wouldn't have hurt you to move and manners don't cost a penny, if you are the gentleman that i talked to on the monday i will gladly continue this conversation the next time we meet
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #18

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Really good news about the 2011 race and a big well done to all the organising team for this years race.

I' m sure there are a few things to address - but overall not major ones. I think the marina berthing coudl eb better - but you can never please everyone.

If I may add one thing - and generally goes for all races. Briefing should be restricted to crews only and no mobile phones allowed. Maybe a few others on safety allowed in - but should have a good reason, by invite of race committee only.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #19

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Really good news about the 2011 race and a big well done to all the organising team for this years race.

I' m sure there are a few things to address - but overall not major ones. I think the marina berthing coudl eb better - but you can never please everyone.

If I may add one thing - and generally goes for all races. Briefing should be restricted to crews only and no mobile phones allowed. Maybe a few others on safety allowed in - but should have a good reason, by invite of race committee only.
It is most useful for a commentator to attend briefing, as I have done for many years.
A "Silent Witness" so to speak, but one picks up much useful info' req'd for ones job during the race.
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #20

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

Thats a wicked looking boat with 3 x ob's in your name column Adam - is it being built ?

Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote