Boatmad.com

Old 16-07-2008, 10:46 PM   #21

Finally - (not that it is important) but why did they split the cowes-torquay-cowes race from the cowes-torquay-refuel-cowes race? Just interested, not complaining![/QUOTE]

At a guess it makes the race more of an endurance.

Did the original race always have a refueling stop. I know for many years it has

hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 11:28 PM   #22

Interests: boats, cars,film.f1 and anitques/paintings
Boat name: tba
Cruising area: south coast France and med

In 1968 they decided to drop the round the island circuit before heading west to Torquay.
I don't remember which year we started stoping at Torquay for fuel probably 86? Graham will know, personally I hated the stop as you had a mad panic half way thru tempers got frayed with the re-fuelling and peole doing other things then hoping/trying to push in...............stopped being fun in a way..

https://www.englishgoldenretrievers.co.uk
TimB-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #23

Interests: boats
Boat make: new boat on way
Cruising area: uk

Equipment & Licences

Hi Tricky and John

The answer to your questions:

Equipment you need to carry - you need to carry all the equipment that you would normally carry in any V24 race plus the liferaft and EPIRB. The life raft must be capable of carrying the number of crew you are running with and an in date service certificate. This is normally stamped on the life raft but sometimes is actual paperwork just depends where you get them from. I hope that answers your question on that.

The answer as to why there are two races Cowes Torquay Cowes is the fact that one race is aimed at the Endurance boats and the other race is aimed at boats that only have the range to get to Torquay. This way giving more people the opportunity to take part in a historic race.

As to your question regarding licences: the Cowes Torquay Cowes is effectively a basic race ie it is not for national championship points nor is it a European or World Championship. Therefore in my opinion you should be able to run on an Event Licence. However, give me 24 hours and I will check this and get back to you as I do not want to mislead anybody.

The other guys asking the question about their licences being retained by Race Control - you are supposed to collect your licences at the end of an Event. However as this appears not to have happened and the fact that you all managed to get round Britain in one piece - I do not think it will be too much of a problem to ask for your licences to be returned to you. I assume that the Race Secretaries for the Round Britain will still have them. If this is problem - please let know and I will sort it!

So you don't need to break into the RYA offices and nick them back!

Kind regards
Gary
flightracingteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #24
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightracingteam View Post
Equipment you need to carry - you need to carry all the equipment that you would normally carry in any V24 race plus the liferaft and EPIRB. The life raft must be capable of carrying the number of crew you are running with and an in date service certificate. This is normally stamped on the life raft but sometimes is actual paperwork just depends where you get them from. I hope that answers your question on that.
Yes, it does, thank you.

Quote:
The answer as to why there are two races Cowes Torquay Cowes is the fact that one race is aimed at the Endurance boats and the other race is aimed at boats that only have the range to get to Torquay. This way giving more people the opportunity to take part in a historic race.
Do you know how the refuelling stop is going to be organised? Will it be a timed delay, or will it be a predefined start time for the return leg? Do you know if the refuelling boats will go off first, so they will be able to return the same sort of time as the non-stop boats?

Quote:
As to your question regarding licences: the Cowes Torquay Cowes is effectively a basic race ie it is not for national championship points nor is it a European or World Championship. Therefore in my opinion you should be able to run on an Event Licence. However, give me 24 hours and I will check this and get back to you as I do not want to mislead anybody.
Thanks. If we need a medical we need to book immediately, so knowing sooner would be a great help.

Quote:
So you don't need to break into the RYA offices and nick them back!
Damn.
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 12:29 AM   #25

Hi Marc

Regarding the re-fuelling issues and how you get released back to Cowes, I am not sure at the moment.

However, the way it has been done in the past is you pass the finish line at Torquay, the clock stops ticking, you then have one hour to re-fuel, have a coke and a wee, you then proceed back out to where there is a boat who will clear you to go and the clock starts ticking again. I assume this is how they will do it - but again I need to confirm.

I will post as much information as I have, as soon as I get it.

Kind regards
Gary
Old 17-07-2008, 01:36 AM   #26
Large member

Quote:
However, the way it has been done in the past is you pass the finish line at Torquay, the clock stops ticking, you then have one hour to re-fuel, have a coke and a wee, you then proceed back out to where there is a boat who will clear you to go and the clock starts ticking again. I assume this is how they will do it - but again I need to confirm.

Thanks!
Old 17-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #27
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

With respect to the CTC licence status, didn't it used to be in the rules that for a basic race / licence, there was a maximum race length, summat like 50 miles.
We don't want people starting to think they can do the CTC on a basic, only to find out later that they can't, and needing to rush through a national licence.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #28

Licences for Cowes Torquay

Hi guys

After consultation this morning the licence situation is as follows:

For all Round Britain Licence holders - on investigation it would appear that the Licences issued to competitors for just the Round Britian expired at the end of the Event. However, the good news is that any crew who raced in the RB who can produce their RB licences at Race Control, will receive a free Event Licence to compete in this Event in any of the three Races.

For teams who did not compete in the RB you will be required to purchase an Event Licence from Race Control at the cost of £60.00 for any of the three races.

If you hold a national or full international licence or higher already, this covers you for this Event and you will not be required to pay any more.

I hope this answers all your questions.

Kind regards
Gary Manchester
Chairman, RYA Offshore Racing Committee
Old 17-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Hi guys

After consultation this morning the licence situation is as follows:

For all Round Britain Licence holders - on investigation it would appear that the Licences issued to competitors for just the Round Britian expired at the end of the Event. However, the good news is that any crew who raced in the RB who can produce their RB licences at Race Control, will receive a free Event Licence to compete in this Event in any of the three Races.

For teams who did not compete in the RB you will be required to purchase an Event Licence from Race Control at the cost of £60.00 for any of the three races.

If you hold a national or full international licence or higher already, this covers you for this Event and you will not be required to pay any more.

I hope this answers all your questions.

Kind regards
Gary Manchester

Sorry to be a pain can we still get our RB8 licence back from the RYA.
As the licence stated it was only valid for RB8 so wasn't worth collecting. it's now worth 60 quid.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #30

Basic Race, Cowes - Swanage

OK so this basic race sounds interesting, Cowes - Swanage - Cowes

As a complete novice can any one tell me what I need to compete, I am assuming as follows;-

For a 1969 Levi Triana 25' - Classic Express Cruiser [are there any classes this would qualify for?]

Entry £275
Event licence £60 per crew member
Orange painted crash helmet [ I assume an ACU Gold stamp would be ok?]
Lifejacket [Can we get away with auto gas inflatables? - 30 ish knots]
Liferaft [can borrow or hire]
EPIRB [is this a requirement?]
Race numbers [issued by organisers or can we choose?]
The usual extinguishers[auto + manual], flares, charts etc.

Anything else - for instance are there any scrutineering requirements I am not likely to already comply with?

Oh and of course about 50 gallons of super unleaded.....

Thanks

Paul.
Scarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #31
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
With respect to the CTC licence status, didn't it used to be in the rules that for a basic race / licence, there was a maximum race length, summat like 50 miles.
also
No more than 2 miles offshore & no more than 10 miles end to end. but then the course will be with the RYA 60 days before anyway & they may have pointed out any Inconsistencies.

edit : but heck what a great improvement over multi lap - turn a blind rya eye & let it run

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #32

Hi Blue Fin

Just to let you know that I am actually placing these posts on behalf of the RYA, as Chairman of the Offshore Racing Committee and also Chairman of the Course Approvals Committee.

So it is not a case of doing anything behind the RYA's back! Yes, both yourself and John Fuller are absolutely correct. A normal basic race is no more than 50nm. However, as both myself and the RYA appreciate the fact that powerboat racing in the UK is not in the fittest state that it could be, we are addressing this situation by encouraging as many people as possible to participate.

Therefore, with this in mind, we are adopting a more practical and flexible approach in the hope that it will promote the Sport and new people will get bitten by the Powerboat Racing bug and swell the UK fleet.

As the Chairman of the Offshore Racing Committee I am doing everything that is possible to encourage new and old competitors to get their boats back on the water without some of the previous complications, that in my opinion, have discouraged many people from taking part.

Look forward to seeing you at Cowes.

Kind regards
Gary Manchester
Old 17-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarron View Post
OK so this basic race sounds interesting, Cowes - Swanage - Cowes

As a complete novice can any one tell me what I need to compete, I am assuming as follows;-

For a 1969 Levi Triana 25' - Classic Express Cruiser [are there any classes this would qualify for?]

Entry £275
Event licence £60 per crew member
Orange painted crash helmet [ I assume an ACU Gold stamp would be ok?]
Lifejacket [Can we get away with auto gas inflatables? - 30 ish knots]
Liferaft [can borrow or hire]
EPIRB [is this a requirement?]
Race numbers [issued by organisers or can we choose?]
The usual extinguishers[auto + manual], flares, charts etc.

Anything else - for instance are there any scrutineering requirements I am not likely to already comply with?

Oh and of course about 50 gallons of super unleaded.....

Thanks

Paul.
Hi Paul

Really pleased to see that this Race interests you. However I note from your above post that you are interested in taking part in the Basic Race, Cowes Swanage and back to Cowes.

If this is the case, you do not need to carry a life raft and EPIRB. However, crewsaver life jackets are not acceptable and will not pass scrutineering in an open cockpit boat. You will need Grabner style life jackets for all the riding crew.

Crash helmets sounds fine. Race numbers - for a basic race you can choose your own and they must be on the boat for scrutineering. As for fire extinguishers, you will need automatic fire extinguishers in your engine bay and a minimum of a 2kilo fire extinguisher in the cockpit and dead kill for the crew.

The actual requirements for a basic race you will find in PB1, pages 110 and 111.

If I can help any more, please let me know or PM me.

Kind regards
Gary Manchester
Old 17-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #34
blind dog

Interests: fast
Boat name: drivers dry berthing
Boat make: buzzi
Cruising area: anywhere fast

cowes

hi,how do you enter cos the form on the p1 web site is for the full course and do you know the classes.cheers
blind dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #35
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Gary it's my dry humor ..........

I cant even take myself seriously. so nobody else should.
its great to see a flex approach just whats needed.

I guessed as chair of the ORC you would have more info for some reason (grin)

EDIT: I think this will stimulate great intrest not just the C-T-C but also the Basic. Its just perhaps a little late off the blocks to be the success it should be in terms of the basic event

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #36

Cowes Poole Race entry forms

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind dog View Post
hi,how do you enter cos the form on the p1 web site is for the full course and do you know the classes.cheers
Good point!. I understood that they were on the P1 website - however they are obviously not - so leave that one with me and I will talk to P1 in the morning and get it sorted.

Kind regards
Gary
Old 17-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #37
blind dog

Interests: fast
Boat name: drivers dry berthing
Boat make: buzzi
Cruising area: anywhere fast

cowes

nice one,
blind dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #38
Large member

Quote:
we are adopting a more practical and flexible approach in the hope that it will promote the Sport and new people will get bitten by the Powerboat Racing bug and swell the UK fleet.
Well put me in a dress and call me shirley!

Quote:
As the Chairman of the Offshore Racing Committee I am doing everything that is possible to encourage new and old competitors to get their boats back on the water without some of the previous complications, that in my opinion, have discouraged many people from taking part.
Well, I posted several months ago that you would need a few months to start sorting things out.....

Looks like you may not be as bad as previously thought....
Old 17-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #39

If the ridiculous maximum 2nm distance offshore for basic Racing is dropped for good. It will be one of the best decisions by ORC for years. I assume it was slipped in to a PB1 (when we used to get them every year, so it was possible to keep up with rule changes and updates instead of being kept in the dark; 3 1/2 years and counting) following lobbying by vested interests in OCR.
Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 12:43 AM   #40
Large member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety View Post
...It will be one of the best decisions by ORC for years.
Lets help them make many more like that then.

Some constructive information so they can do their job?