Boatmad.com

Go Back   Boatmad.com > The Muster Area > General Racing Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 31-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #1

Cowes - from the Cinzano pit crew

We turned up with our shiny new paint work (courtesy of Mike Nickolson) and new dash panels with Raymarine C140w screens for Simon and Eric (complete with NMEA data from the Ilmors) and an ST70 screen for Markus to monitor Cinzano`s speed. Not surprisingly the software gremlins turned up and the units would not give us any speed readout, very frustrating.
After completing the Round Ireland race we had carried out modifications to the sea water filters resulting in the need to re-route one of the steering hoses.
I used a fitting which was obviously not of the standard that Peter Unwin used when he rigged the hydraulics. The failure of this fitting and the resultant leak meant that Simon lost power steering less than half way through the Cowes 100.
This, combined with Markus accidentally knocking off a jack plug, meant that the crew had to settle for 4th position. We also lost our stern light cover.

In the CTC, the only damage that Cinzano suffered was one of the intake grille panels blowing out of the engine hatch. Considering the challenging conditions that everyone had to endure, the boat got off lightly!

Unfortunately the same cannot be said of the crew; when arriving back in the marina Markus was close to exhaustion/dehydration, Eric was suffering from a few cuts and bruises, and I think Simon had whip lash (although that could be nothing to do with the CTC!!)

Lisa spent Saturday trying to re-create the `B`s that had been washed off during Friday`s race and Sunday stressing over the vagaries of the tracking.

The Cinzano crew arrived back 4th overall and considering the standard of the opposition and the extreme conditions, this was a great result.

Lisa & I had a great time and it was an honour to be involved in such a historic event with a great bunch of people.

P.S.: Big thanks to Barry & Sally at the Duke of York for their hospitality.

Racedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #2

Interests: Boats, Cars.
Boat name: Splash 4
Boat make: Hunton
Engines: Mercruiser 640
Cruising area: Poole, Solent

Thanks

Big Thanks to you too ! SIMON

Pennpromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #3

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

As other folks are saying it's really brilliant reading these fascinating accounts of the CTC race from the crews prospective , must admit I was hoping you guys would put it all in black and white or whatever the computer version is today

Guess If Fabio were to post his account, it may not be to dissimilar to the ancestral Romans ... We came we saw we conquered we left ... with all the booty and then fed the parrot ... job done
Old 01-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #4

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Many thanks to Jon & Simon for these fantastic reports. For those of us left behind it makes for great reading. What a memory these guys will have for the rest of their lives.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #5

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
Many thanks to Jon & Simon for these fantastic reports. For those of us left behind it makes for great reading. What a memory these guys will have for the rest of their lives.
ML.
Can I echo Mikes words please ?
Really great first hand stories - superb !!!
Thank you all.
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote