Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Cowes on Sky Sport 3 tonight 7pm

Cowes Powerboat Race

NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #2

That film

Although I am most grateful that the CTC 09 film was made,that wasn`t exactly my favourite of all time.It`s the easiest thing in the world to knock it,but Mr.Ansell,do your homework before you get to the microphone.If I was Team 25 I would be a bit miffed considering the great showing they made in the race,and those jerky shots at Torquay,dear oh dear.The CTC 08 film to my mind left this version for dead.OK we had more with the interviews with the competitors and scenes other than the racing,but I can`t help feeling those early CT films were somehow more satisfying,probably because of closer camera angles.To me there was too much jerkiness in the filming of the racing.Anyway I`ve put my head over the parapet and await my helmet to be riddled.

FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
Although I am most grateful that the CTC 09 film was made,that wasn`t exactly my favourite of all time.It`s the easiest thing in the world to knock it,but Mr.Ansell,do your homework before you get to the microphone.If I was Team 25 I would be a bit miffed considering the great showing they made in the race,and those jerky shots at Torquay,dear oh dear.The CTC 08 film to my mind left this version for dead.OK we had more with the interviews with the competitors and scenes other than the racing,but I can`t help feeling those early CT films were somehow more satisfying,probably because of closer camera angles.To me there was too much jerkiness in the filming of the racing.Anyway I`ve put my head over the parapet and await my helmet to be riddled.
Did not see it Graham - but sounds like 3 1/2 hours of work to correct the commentary has gone missing.

This was my "Snag List".

Commentary

Steve Ansell is the commentator.

13.00 >> H and Safety Delete – Just say running under yellow flag.

Please delete comments about yachts!

14.38 Bohincs RIB is built by Fabio Buzzi / FB Design / Italy

14.48 “He really shouldn’t be going this fast in the Solent ” DELETE!!

14.58 Runs a major gambling onrganisation Wettpunkt.com ADD

15. 17 RIB you would see in a cruising race? Delete

15.30 No answer to your question

15.59 Fiat Powertrain Diesels

16.47 Hot Lemon is a Scorpion Cabin Rib, Holds Long distance records as well as a fine performance in last years RB 08 Race.

17.36 NOT The FUGITIVE but MY PLEASURE a self built RIB by Gordon Compton the Owner / Driver (R3)

17.45 NOT BIRRETTA but onboard camera from MY PLEASURE

18.14 Delete very small boats – They all comply to Marathon Racing!

19.02 No mention made of Team 25 – Drivers Dry Berthing driven by Scott Younger.

19.34 Hannes does not hold London Monte Carlo !!!

21.03 Little Phantom? You could insert POWER PRODUCTS MARINE is 28’ long and in fact was the largest production Phantom boat built – it competed in last years RB08 completing all stages of the race.

21.53 Boat was actually hit by large backwash whilst making repairs to one engine.– not little waves!

22.48 Boat is The Fugitive crewed by father and son team Stuart and Francis Whitley – They own Shakespeare Boats the builder of this hull.

23.02 Not Birretta bu the Fugitive!

23.26 Sunday afternoon ride? Condescending perhaps?

23.36 Swipewipes . co .uk driven by Nick Gilley navigated by Jon Fuller a 31’ Phantom hull built in 2008 for the RB08 race – it won its class in that event but today is experiencing engine problems – they have prayed for rough water today only to have the machinery not play ball…

23.53 Team 747 a Fairy Huntsman built back in the 1960’s driven by Jonathan Napier who is British Airways Pilot – He is no stranger to to 60’s British Technology as he piloted the very last Concorde flight into Heathrow.

Team 747 competed in and came 2nd in their class in last years round Britain Race!

27.03 Hot Lemon have never won this race!

28.10 Cinzano wins the race by 11 seconds
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
23.36 Swipewipes . co .uk a 31’ Phantom hull built in 2008 for the RB08 race – it won its class in that event
Errr, no we didn't.

I have to admit, I though Hannes did get the Montecarlo to London record, in the 80' Buzzi 'Record' (I realise it's in reverse), visited Cowes afterwards. But would stand corrected.

Agree with all other comments / edits.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Errr, no we didn't.

I have to admit, I though Hannes did get the Montecarlo to London record, in the 80' Buzzi 'Record' (I realise it's in reverse), visited Cowes afterwards. But would stand corrected.

Agree with all other comments / edits.
Ciao made some errors - I don't get paid for it - Steve Ansell does - Bad Job - Probably not my first hire CTC 2010.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Steve Ansell does - Bad Job - Probably not my first hire CTC 2010.
I think most comentators make errors, but it's a great shame the producers wouldn't take and use the corrections / suggestions given (by the organisers), easily done during the edit afterall. The details make or break it for anyone watching who took part, your one chance at fame, ....and...

Ho hum.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 08-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #7

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

its a shame that there wasn't any of the CPC race, would love to have seen the fountain and apache race, i saw them cross the finish on the day and it looked a great race. BUT, i would like to say well done to all involved in getting the race televised, was great to see some decent boating on telly again.
Paul
Old 08-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
TEAM 25 RACING

Cruising area: Solent

Sounds like I didn't miss much - guess I will have to wait for my copy to drop through the door for the full disappointment!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
I would like to say well done to all involved in getting the race televised.

Paul
Hear hear.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
its a shame that there wasn't any of the CPC race, would love to have seen the fountain and apache race, i saw them cross the finish on the day and it looked a great race. BUT, i would like to say well done to all involved in getting the race televised, was great to see some decent boating on telly again.
Paul
Thanks to Hannes and the BPRC for putting up 17k
Old 08-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #11

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

its on again tommorow durring the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird1964 View Post
Sounds like I didn't miss much - guess I will have to wait for my copy to drop through the door for the full disappointment!
sky sports 2 and 3
NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:21 PM   #12

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
I agree with everything you say FF. Not the best production in the world and I wish that I had known that they were going to be so bad. I have to say that the "Chopper" cameraman’s work was awful. It’s such a shame that the Chopper wouldn’t go lower. Next time we will pay the money and get Castle Air back. At least he gets down to deck level as he did in RB08.

Last year DGS did a great job as commentator because he knows the powerboat scene and the people in it, It was obvious that Steve doesn't.

Embarrassing for us (The BPRC) as we know you guys were flinching and wincing at every error. The other side of the coin is that the public who watched wouldn't have known any different.

Will try to do better next year - over to you John!!!!
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:24 PM   #13

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
I think most comentators make errors, but it's a great shame the producers wouldn't take and use the corrections / suggestions given (by the organisers), easily done during the edit afterall. The details make or break it for anyone watching who took part, your one chance at fame, ....and...

Ho hum.
Ahoy there! Lets give the TV people the benefit of the doubt for a second!

I think some people here are making waves when haven't actually seen the programme that went to sea on the good ship Sky this evening.

It was certainly not the same programme as has evidently been seen through Ciao's telescope on the horizon thus far, and presumably the programme upon which the Snag List was based.

From what I saw there were none of the more incriminating quotes listed above remaining in the show, for example, no mention of "going too fast in the Solent", however there was definitely a mention of "a major gambling organisation", and there were numerous mentions of Cinzano winning by 11 seconds. So it may have been a different programme tonight after all!

Yes, the camera was wobbly near the turn point, but I hear this was because the helicopter was refuelling at the time, which it also did at the end of the race, allowing for aerial coverage of only the first four or five vessels returning to Cowes before having to veer off back to get more fuel.

The turn point was therefore only covered by a camera on a nearby stationary rib, instead of a more stable camera, and we can all agree that the ferociousness of the waves at the turn would never lend themselves to achieve the most stable of photography.

Some bigger boats stationed along the course would have been far better as camera platforms, but I doubt the TV people could have rustled those up as easily as the Royal Yacht Squadron could have done.

The sudden shift of picture to the right whilst Hot Lemon came into the frame indicated to me that a great deal of time had been spent stabilising those images as much as possible.

It was the wrong helicopter for the job at hand, a smaller two seater aircraft with gyroscopic camera mounts dedicated to flying for TV and film would have been far better and would have lasted longer between fuel stops.

Given this, the pilot and indeed the cameraman did his very best to capture as much as possible of this wonderful race in extremely trying conditions.

Filming boats racing across open water several miles apart is never going to be easy to cover comprehensively.

Compiling clips from a 4 or 5 hour race to make up less than 1 hour is less easy, as there are very few overtaking manouvres or battles in front of the lens, and the final moments where Hot Lemon and Cinzano were racing neck and neck were very well done.

The only answer is to have two helicopters and around 15 camera operators at various strategic stages along the length of the event, which would obviously involve spending around three times as much money.

Unfortunately the prohibitive cost of fully televising such an event means that this sport is sadly rarely seen at all on TV.

To have an hour long programme on a major TV station showing all the boats, interviewing pilots and navs, showing the racing and generally giving people insight into our world is nothing short of a miracle.

God knows we need all the attention, funding and sponsorship opportunities we can get.

The cameras mounted on the boats looked good, and the Cinzano and Wettpunkt cameras in particular gave a sense of how rough it really was out there.

It wasn't a perfect TV show, but it wasn't a perfect race either.

But I certainly think judgement should be reserved until you have seen the same programme I saw on Sky this evening.

It was actually pretty good, better than I thought it would be.
choppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #14

Interests: Powerboats, Alpine Skiing
Boat name: Blastoff Challenger
Boat make: Fountain 38 poker run
Engines: 2 x Yanmar 440
Cruising area: Solent

Is this the same race my fountain led for some significant time leaving everybody including BOHINC for dead?

I think Team 25 Hot Lemon & Blastoff should have our own film made from the clipping room floor!

Dozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:46 AM   #15

Choppy comments

Ok,it`s your view,but I suggest you take a look at some past films of the race to see how it`s done.

Much lower helicopter filming,this can and has been done and is the norm.

Didn`t know that helicopter was refuelling at sea level at Torquay,and with a westerly blowing ,Torbay was as flat as a pancake for filming off a boat.

Ciao comments you highlight were broadcast unfortunately.

Both Mike Lloyd and myself have been powerboat film buffs for many years
and should be in a position to judge what is good and what is bad.

Poor old `Dozzer`,leads the race for some time,yet the film totally ignores him
bar one snatch shot,and as for Team 25,brilliant navigation and driving and first into Torquay,a bit more appreciation of that wouldn`t have been amiss.

Come on ,whilst we all are thankful this film was made,it is frustrating to see
these horrors within.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #16

We use these guys on Top gear. They are very good and not expensive.
http://www.flyingtv.co.uk/
As to the £17 Grand to produce, I wish i'd been given that to spend!
Iain May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain May View Post
As to the £17 Grand to produce, I wish i'd been given that to spend!
The control of the filming was unfortunately not in our hands although I was dragged in at the last minute to get a helicopter for them and could only get a single engined jobby. Shouldn't have been my problem but there you go.

On reflection, what you say is probably right but you also had other problems on your hands at the time!
ML.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain May View Post
Rumour is that they had been booked all along to take care of all the helicopter coverage, but at the last minute were cancelled because the BPRC wanted their photographer Chris Davies to go up, as well as the TV crew.

There wasn't room in the Flying TV chopper with all the TV equipment, video cameraman, pilot, additional stills photographer, there were weight issues, so a larger one had to be used and as a result couldn't fly as low or for as long as originally intended, compounded by CAA filming exemption issues meaning you can't legally fly lower than 500 feet.
choppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozzer View Post
Is this the same race my fountain led for some significant time leaving everybody including BOHINC for dead?

I think Team 25 Hot Lemon & Blastoff should have our own film made from the clipping room floor!

I have to say that the first fifteen minutes was almost like a Scorpion TV promotion fim. That exposure would have been worth huge amounts of dosh to Scorpion. Good luck to them anyway.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppy View Post
Rumour is that they had been booked all along to take care of all the helicopter coverage, but at the last minute were cancelled because the BPRC wanted their photographer Chris Davies to go up, as well as the TV crew.

There wasn't room in the Flying TV chopper with all the TV equipment, video cameraman, pilot, additional stills photographer, there were weight issues, so a larger one had to be used and as a result couldn't fly as low or for as long as originally intended, compounded by CAA filming exemption issues meaning you can't legally fly lower than 500 feet.
That's all true but we HAD to have the still pics for the racers. They don't get much else out of this except sight of their boat racing.

There's no point however in beating this to death. Everyone tried to do the best they could I guess and that's the end of the story. As I said earlier, the BPRC will try to do better for the 50th next year, with some forward planning this time.

Anyone interested in getting involved in such a huge and important project, which MUST be right next year, apply to John Moore. I know he will appreciate me saying that.
ML.