Boatmad.com

Old 31-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #21

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
Absolutely right,but in this case what I would say is that our 2010 CTC director always bends over backwards to get the results out within hours of the finish,even provisional,so he either crashed under a table or is tied up somewhere (and rightly so).I expect the protests are screwing things up.

Well done Mr.Ciao for the past 12 months of hassle (including my course bitching),you can now have a real rough classic on your CV.
On behalf of Ciao, can I thank you Graham.
John was under great pressure on Sunday evening, due to initial protest by B66 against their DQ., then that having been upheld, further protests (plural) against their reinstatement.
We had to draw the line somewhere, otherwise there would not be a presentation that evening !
Hence awards presented on results as at upholding of first protest..

Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #22
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Martin, you're in the know..... Why was there only a 1st place awarded in the 'Cowes World Cup'? surely normally there would be 1st, 2nd & 3rd placings.

We reckon Cinzano would be 2nd, and we would be 3rd. That would be a nice thing to go to our engine supplier with to encourage support. A 3rd overall in a world cup, from a boat in the bottom class would be I think, a reasonable achievement & worth recognition.
Seems a shame for ALL the silver go to Fabio, it was generally thought that this 'ritual' has become somewhat dull as the years go on, a great racer he is, but recognition to some of the other competitors wouldn't go a miss. After all, many fight against the odds with far less money, kit, support etc and risk comparatively more as a result.

Poor old Blue mist didn't get a mention either, nor Rose in the Honda 150 and to be honest, I doubt all the money in the world would have got Buzzi in either of those craft for 70 miles in those conditions, at least not at his age.

I think the general descent we regularly see from the class 3 type competitors re Cowes, is because of exactly this treatment, it needs fixing, or you'll only have a handfull of 'Grand Fromages' racing, or rather you won't, as that wouldn't make an entry list/event alone.

JMHO

Rant over.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #23

Interests: Heavy Heavy Metal
Boat name: Slayer II, Slayer, Pen15
Boat make: Phantom 19G-R, Bernico F2 Extreme, Ring 15
Engines: Evinrude 115HO, Yam 90
Cruising area: Channel Islands

Any chance of an order that the boats finished, and a list of any protests and the reasons?
Paul E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Martin, you're in the know..... Why was there only a 1st place awarded in the 'Cowes World Cup'? surely normally there would be a 1st, 2nd & 3rd.

We reckon Cinzano would be 2nd, and we would be 3rd. That would be a nice thing to go to our engine supplier with to encourage support. A 3rd overall in a world cup, from a boat in the bottom class would be I think, a reasonable achievement & worth recognition.
Seems a shame for ALL the silver go to Fabio, it was generally thought that this 'ritual' has become somewhat dull as the years go on, a great racer he is, but recognition to some of the other competitors wouldn't go a miss. After all, many fight against the odds with far less money, kit, support etc and risk comparatively more as a result.

Poor old Blue mist didn't get a mention either, nor Rose in the Honda 150 and to be honest, I doubt all the money in the world would have got Buzzi in either of those craft for 70 miles in those conditions, at least not at his age.

JMHO
Thank you for elevation to that of being "in the know" !!!

The Harmsworth Trophy was originally for the equivalent to Match-Racing contests.

I may be corrected by one of the trophy trustees, but my interpretation is that one either wins The Harmsworth, or one does not. Hence, no 2nd, etc.

The Actual " UIM World Cup ", as it was titled, does not actually exist.
The contest could not be titled a World Championship, by UIM rules (Due to number of countries that race in the classes involved), but your comment about 2nd & 3rd places seems fair.
However, I really do not know why such awards were not set up.

I do note your comments re. awards etc. Jon. Thank you for being constructive.

As to results for Sunday, my guess is that until all the protest/s finally unravel, and get resolved, it is not practacle to issue what amount to unending provisional results.
Also, officials involved had only yesterday to resolve them, along with their returns to home, etc., & it was a very tiring weekend of course !
No doubt the final results will be viewable soon.
Old 31-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #25

Interests: again...same!!
Boat name: Dragon
Boat make: Revenger 29
Engines: 315 hp Yanmar
Cruising area: would be telling!

Quote:
Martin, you're in the know..... Why was there only a 1st place awarded in the 'Cowes World Cup'? surely normally there would be a 1st, 2nd & 3rd.

I think the general descent we see from the class 3 type competitors re Cowes, is because of exactly this treatment, it needs fixing, or you'll only have a handfull of 'Grand Fromages' racing, or rather you won't, as that wouldn't make an entry list/event alone.

JMHO

Rant over.
As I've put in my 'Rant' on the other 'Cowes 2010' thread, I agree with JF. There still isn't even a list of entrants, so '0' recognition for everyone, least of all for those that weren't in the ribbons. Surely there must be a way that
all their effort and risk / cash / sore bones, can be logged in history!
I agree with 1st, 2nd, 3rd placings in the World cup....gold, silver, bronze, it happens in all other sports!
Also, I understand that there were some class winners who didn't get anything at all in the prize giving, so no mention. I don't know who they are, because I can't even see who entered! So, 'Congratulations' from me, whoever, you are, in whatever, boat you were in with whatever engine! (see what I mean)!
It costs about £1 each to have a bespoke set of Rosettes made. Everyone that completed should have received one, and where there are no trophies, top three at least should get rosettes. I'll organise a 'whip round', (or a whipping for those even more interested!), to sponsor rosettes fro next year?
kickon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #26

As to results for Sunday, my guess is that until all the protest/s finally unravel, and get resolved, it is not practacle to issue what amount to unending provisional results.
No doubt the final results will be viewable soon.[/QUOTE]

But at the very least, put something on the site that explains why there is a delay
Old 31-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #27

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

f1 have provisonal results,which are always subject to change,better to have something than nothing. and i have to agree there should be a full entry list at least
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickon View Post
No doubt the final results will be viewable soon.
But at the very least, put something on the site that explains why there is a delay[/QUOTE]

I understand your sentiments - I do not have access to the website input.
One thing you forget - F1 GP's are run by well paid staff, & there are lots of them.
This sport is run by volunteers, who also have to earn their livings,
Monday was "Pack-up" day, & no doubt results will be posted, as soon as possible.
Apologies for the delays in the meantime.
It is not my place to post official documents, & I do not have my paper result sheets with me (at the office) at present.
I will put on this site, un-official results tonight, if nothing offical is forthcoming.
Old 31-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #29

Boat name: Grip-O.co.uk
Engines: Steyr-Motors

THE 2010 UIM MARATHON WORLD CUP

25th - 30th August

Cowes 100: UIM/RYA International Ordinary Race (Marathon World Cup – Heat 1)

Cowes-Torquay-Cowes:UIM/RYA International Ordinary Race (Marathon World Cup – Heat 2)

(ABOVE FROM COWES 2010 WEB SITE)

I see this as a World Cup 2 heat Marathon race with 1st 2nd 3rd to last place up for grabs, or have I been mislead?
You do well in both and get nothing.

How could Fabio be named UIM World Champiom 2010 at the awards if the titled does not actually exist.
2-XS-IF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #30

un-official would be great martin. my reference to f1 was that one of the most watched/biggest sports in the world,post results even if there are protests.not every boat will have protests against them so at least you have an idea how everyone got on.
Old 31-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin The Talker View Post
But at the very least, put something on the site that explains why there is a delay
I understand your sentiments - I do not have access to the website input.
One thing you forget - F1 GP's are run by well paid staff, & there are lots of them.
This sport is run by volunteers, who also have to earn their livings,
Monday was "Pack-up" day, & no doubt results will be posted, as soon as possible.
Apologies for the delays in the meantime.
It is not my place to post official documents, & I do not have my paper result sheets with me (at the office) at present.
I will put on this site, un-official results tonight, if nothing offical is forthcoming.[/QUOTE]

If you could Martin, that would be great, and maybe a list of the entrants so that at least we know who and what was who.

BTW a bit of nice footage here that I've found on youtube
Old 31-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #32

Quote:

Poor old Blue mist didn't get a mention either, nor Rose in the Honda 150 and to be honest,

Unrecognised efforts in the Cowes-Poole-Cowes: RYA Club (Basic) Race Up to 300 hp

1st - NWJ Services - 926 (Neil Jackson / Jason Jackson)

2nd - Fox - Eclipse Coalition - 07 (Rose Lores / Martin Colligan )

3rd - On The Limit - B69 (Brian Cornish / Steve Cornish)
Foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #33

Cowes Results

Firstly I totally agree with kickon and John Fuller's posts.

Secondly I was criticised for posting the question of where the sport is going and would there be a 51st CTC.

For those that found the question strange well have you read the posts from some of the other contributors / competitors, not happy bunnies.

Plus it is past midday Tuesday and still no results list.

I sincerely hope that the 51st CTC happens but we need to move forward with some aspects of the exposure of the race.

I understand a lot of people work very hard to make it all happen but the internet needs to be used to the max. Through the internet it is the first time that powerboat racing has been able to gain some decent exposure don't waste it.
3jcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #34
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

Brain (Blue Mist) and his Nav should have got the biggest trophy in the room in my opinion for takin that little Frode round there....and back to Cowes. Foolish / Stuart and Rose and Nav as well.

And dont get me started on the 3C National Champs. (which we won, and thanks to those who recognised it)

Every time we go back to Cowes, we're told it will be ok, nobody will be left out etc etc etc......we fall for it every time.

I wasnt going to post about it on here, after a very nice email from Martin The Talker, but in the end.....I gave in.
Its all about getting some tiny reward, or even a mention, at the right moment, in front of the old and the good,for the efforts of the teams that get round and finish, let alone do well.....

Instead of that, we'll just shovel the "minor" race out of the way quick,if we can actually pronounce Cowes-Poole-Cowes and get the wheelbarrow in to put Mr Buzzis trophys in.
Fair Play to him and all that, but its the 3Cs and 3Bs and the Honda and basic boats like NWJ Services that give the event the depth and range of boats that this event is famous for.

Obviously in my own humble opinion......to which I am entitled.

Rant over.
Old 31-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #35

made me smile when i walked into the media center at 9.00 am friday morning(after coming from hayling island in the rain and wind),stood in the middle of the room and was ignored,asked where i get my stuff for safety,and may aswell of being talking jiberish.think ill go back to being a spectator boat,rather than safety from now on. like you say dave it must feel nice to be one of the big boys
Old 31-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #36

Trackers

You can still look at the course most boats took at :-

http://live.adventuretracking.com/cowes-torquay

The trackers log the postion every 3 minutes and join up the points, hence some off the course will go over land, you can select a number of boats by clicking on the ticks against the baot names on the left and compare the courses.
RMYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #37

Boat name: purple haze
Boat make: vector xr 24
Engines: cosworth yb turbo 300

We were one of the safety boats at Torquay, not quite as fancy as cowes but they treated us well and a good day had by all.
cosworth mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #38
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Well done Dave and Brian and to everyone that got round both courses!

3jcs - That wasn't critism, I was asking what made you think CTC 2011 was doubtful - unfounded comments like that aren't really that helpful at all unless they have some basis of fact rather than one persons opinion unless it is stated as such.

For what it's worth we won the RIB Formula One Championship in 2005 at Cowes in a National race and got nothing at all - I guess nothing really does change!

I have some paperwork here available to everyone.

It was published after Kerakoll was DQ'd but before they were reinstated. Places are overall and place in class. Times in hours and minutes

1 1A Red FPT 3.26
2 1B Fury 3.43
3 2B Cinzano 3.59
4 1D Grey Ghost 4.7
5 3B Apache/War Horse 4.9
6 2A Uno Embassy 4.9
7 1E Swipewipes 4.55
8 3A Powerboat Asia 5.27
9 1C Carbon Neutral5.34
10 4A Silverline 5.36
11 1G Fugitive 5.37
12 1H Dry Martini 5.39

Kerakoll is a "B" boat so that will move everyone down one if they keep their second place

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #39
longbow

Interests: Life.
Cruising area: South Coast

At last, many thanks to you.

How disgraceful is that if they didn’t recognise those in 3C who completed the CPC race at the awards. What are they the organisers thinking? Who is it that decides who gets what pot. As someone else said, it costs nothing to get some ribbons for 1st 2nd & 3rd. Very rude and short sighted of the organisers.
longbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #40

Cowes Trophies/Awards

In respect of previous posts hereon, I understand the sentiments.
I have a foot in both camps, so to speak.
Yes, the Under 300hp Class was Missed.
I am sure that Ciao will agree with me, in tending apologies to the crews who gallently raced & finished in the CPC in that class.
Yes - I know that is not good enough, having missed being applauded in front of everyone at The RYS.

As to trophies being awarded, as per JF's post, re Fabio winning a wheelbarrow load.
Well, trophies are gifted to the race organisers.
Their donator specifiy-ing which award it is for.
The organisers cannot easily transfer them to substitute classes/etc.
Have a gander at the trophies webpage, which shows each trophy, & the class/award it is given for.

I will try to see if some other perpetual trophy/ies might be brought back & used for Class 3/Sportsboats for 2011.
I can only ask though !