Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dodger View Post
I think you need to have a chat with Fiona about your negativity mate.
Now that is nasty. Not sure to whoom though. Foina or TimB....

verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 01:43 AM   #82

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
Some late night thoughts on this matter.

P1 have decided to run a C T C race.

In my view it was a “blind” because there was no UK event on their calendar.

But in my opinion the new MD of P1 has done everything in his power to sort “the new” CTC.

We could talk what boat fits into what class on this forum for months – and nothing would be resolved.

For Christ Sakes, back Jim (I don't know him from Adam) otherwise UK Offshore will continue in the wilderness.

ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #83
Large member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciao! View Post
For Christ Sakes, back Jim (I don't know him from Adam) otherwise UK Offshore will continue in the wilderness.
We do back him, we have right from the begining, including withdrawing our calendered event which conflicted with the CTC.

We dont even mind which class we get to go in.

We just want to be able to put our boats in the water, and a minimum length of 24.5 foot prevents this, and we want to get that changed.
Old 14-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #84

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Just out of interest it does say on V24 site 7.9m overall is that not 25'11'' maybe you might find a way around the measurement certificate for the boat. but after all you are the owner, so you know what the measurement certificate says...have not checked but did not hotboats although not included give a % variation on the length
Old 14-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #85
Large member

On the actual measurement certificate the 'measured length' as per UIM rules is 6911mm which is 22 foot and 8 inches long.

The actual length including the exhausts is just 24 foot, which is where the boat gets its name from.

Hotboats were allowing TOTAL boat length, which would allow the V24's in .

RYA is enforcing UIM measurement rules.

A 'reasonable man' would just say he can not enter the race because his boat does not comply. An 'unreasonable man' may glue fenders to his wing tips and say he is a rib, and complies as he is over 21 foot.

I however propose to get the rules changed, as they were either designed to restrict my boat, or they were not thought out by anyone with racing experiance. You can not just thumbsuck a number and say a V24 is not capable of doing the race. It is one of the more capable boats out there at the moment....

The V24 manufacturers website has a few errors in it...
Old 14-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #86

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Inc. exhausts 24' I must say I am surprised they seem more like 25'+ overall, however I do hope you do manage to get them included as when it roughs up a bit the V24 is amazingly capable boat for it's size and a few V24's added in should keep even some of the bigger boats on their toes
Old 14-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #87

Must say on the Brass Monkey conditions good it went really well and embarrassed a few boats
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #88

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

[QUOTE=verytricky;126764]On the actual measurement certificate the 'measured length' as per UIM rules is 6911mm which is 22 foot and 8 inches long.

I however propose to get the rules changed, as they were either designed to restrict my boat, or they were not thought out by anyone with racing experiance. You can not just thumbsuck a number and say a V24 is not capable of doing the race. It is one of the more capable boats out there at the moment....
QUOTE]
You haven't thought it through I'm afraid. These rules have been taken straight from the RB08 rules, with our permission and were constructed for offshore Endurance racing and in particular for the RB08 where some legs are well over 200 miles. The RB08 rules were constructed from virtually zero by highly experienced individuals (including Jon Fuller) who had all been racing for many years and most of them, including me, having done many long offshore endurance races. With all due respect, and not wishing to cause offence, it would be interesting to know if a V24 could carry enough fuel and ALL the necessary equipment for a race such as the CTC where it might possibly be there and back without stopping (212miles) and having to conform to the RYA regulations for such a long race especially carrying a life raft according to the rules for Endurance racing (4 man). Then again these rules have to be able to satisfy the Insurers especially in this day and age, as I have had to learn to my cost. I would have thought that if you could assure P1 of the above then they could well re-consider the V24. Then it would have to be run past the ORC where it could well be challenged, if there is enough time. Worth having a go though. Running across Lyme Bay in a force 4/6 in big seas which takes around 45/55 minutes out of sight of land is a harrowing experience for anyone not having done it before.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #89

I'm sure the V24 could be made to comply - whether they choose to rig for 212 miles of fuel, or plan to stop every 20 is up to them to organise the logistics. It would be very cool to see some V24's run it - and no doubt surprise many of the bigger boats too.

In fact, I reckon my cat has got space for the fuel and liferaft - anyone got a 2.5 I could borrow so it will still plane with all the xtra weight though?
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 11:06 PM   #90

I thought VT was having a larger version built for RB8,remember seing something on the web page or was that one of the phoney entrants that just wanted to show off and give false numbers to the organisers.

Love to know how many drop outs and why?
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 12:06 AM   #91
CB1

The last time I did CTC, in a single engined rib, we didnt have to carry a life raft. The distance CT is hardly any difference to the old cowes, peveril ledge race that all class 3 used to to run. Endurance racing my arse!!!
CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 12:15 AM   #92
CB1

I know I've said this here before. But how many old offshore racers does it take to change a light bulb? Ans. None. They'd rather sit in the dark and talk about how good the old one was!!!!!! JF hasn't raced, in my knowledge, in at least 10 years. Things have changed, class 3 are now doing the speeds that class 1 were capable of in the days that you are talking about. Boats are a lot more capable now than ever before. Welcome to the new world. Stop beating your gums and have another cup of complan.
Old 15-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #93

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1 View Post
I know I've said this here before. But how many old offshore racers does it take to change a light bulb? Ans. None. They'd rather sit in the dark and talk about how good the old one was!!!!!! JF hasn't raced, in my knowledge, in at least 10 years. Things have changed, class 3 are now doing the speeds that class 1 were capable of in the days that you are talking about. Boats are a lot more capable now than ever before. Welcome to the new world. Stop beating your gums and have another cup of complan.
Insulting guys from offshore history who have actually "done it" and been there doesn't do much for your credibility sunshine. I too can insult if you wish but I don't think I will lower myself to your level. Bloody ignoramus comes to mind though. Oh yes, things have changed all right. There are such big fleets racing now and such great races aren't there compared to the 80's and 90's and before us "old un's" began bringing back endurance racing what have YOU been doing? Hunton 69 is right. toooooo many dreamers.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #94
CB1

So Mike, exactly what haven't I done before? You know nothing of my boating experiance. When was the last time you ran in the dark at high speeds trusting the guy you can hear on your headset not to run you aground? Or went round Anvil point or through Portland race in gale force winds in 4-5m seas at 40+ knts? Sat 100's of miles offshore waiting for a pickup? Oh ever tried parachuting down with a rib, not as a chute, got the rig started and then chased a target for upto 8 hrs in seas that you would have scuttled for home in? So lets not get into 'Experiance'.
Old 15-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #95
CB1

Yes I have raced 'Offshore Endurance' and was pretty good at it. Ask Mike Decon, or Jan F. Still hold the record for Poole-Cherbourg. So again lets not get into that.

I was not insulting the guys from yesteryear. The guys racing today are no less commited or brave than they were, just different curcumstances. We dont chose to race around the cans, it's what is dictated to try and keep the sport in the general publics eye. I would love to run the old Peveril ledge race again or Fowey to the scillys. Good days. I have raced round Scotland, the bit you are missing out!! And enjoyed every bone jarring minute of it.
Old 15-02-2008, 09:45 AM   #96
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Hey Chris, you're a real hero!

So why is it you don't put your foot down in that cat?

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #97
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Just a quick question - why was it necessary to change the rules for the CTC that already existed? Many National classes raced to National rules for instance, Life rafts are a new addition and the classes are totally different. I would have thought in the interests of history and continuity it would have been best to keep them as they were - after all it is probably the best supperted of the existing offshore races!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #98
CB1

The majority of the current class 3 crews would love to enter your fantastic event, be a part of the history of the sport. The only stumbling block is the cost. We are not super rich, have famaily money or sponsored by the mafia. We are 'normal' guys who just cant afford to purchase a new craft, take months off work and have an army follow us round. I say that because if you want to win thats what it will take. As MB1 said the other day, we have poured thousands of £'s into class3 racing and thats what we do. We enjoy it!!!
Old 15-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #99
CB1

You can shut it you ginger fecker!!! I didn't expect anything less from you.
Old 15-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #100
CB1

As to the size of todays fleets. If some of you got off your arses and actualy competed instead of talking about it, perhaps they would come back. There isn't the money around today as there was in the halicon days of the 80's and the majority of people have more pressing things to spend their money on. The only people that can change things are the competitors, so get your arses in a boat and come on down.