Boatmad.com

Old 11-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #1

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Event License 2011

I know this has been discussed in great length previously but as a relative newbie to racing I do feel that with the declining entrants the license requirements could be made easier.and I would like to raise the following points.I know there is a view point that if you can't commit or afford it don't bother but is this really working in todays economy?

Medical;Is this really neccessary,there are lots of motorsports that do not require a medical and some of these are far more physical than Boat racing.I think we are all sensible enough to know if we are physically fit to race, the medical I had this year had no consideration to physical battering you take (Thanks Bob) and the fact you can self certificate for the first Event license makes this a bit of a mockery.

Two Event Restriction:Why should there be a restriction ?There are a lot of people that cannot commit to a full race season but might want to take part in more the two events.with a lot of classes only running a limited number of events ie; the propossed Rib series (if it gets off the ground) if they run three events do you take out a full license for the third event or just not take part? or pay the full license from the start to do only three events?.Also teams with limited budgets can stagger the costs during the season.

License Refund:A scale of refund if for unforseen reasons you cannot complete the season ie;injury,blown engine.

Newbie Training:I think the current driver training ticks some boxes but isn't really adequate,my suggestion is that a newbie driver should be made to take part in two races where they are forced to start behind the main field and take wide lines on the bends.

Equipment Hire;To assist with newbie teams wishing to take part could the RYA not have safety equipment packs that a team can hire IE; Life Jackets/Flares/Intercoms/Helmets as to buy all this just to see if you like it is a considerable burden.

Demonstrations:Subject to weather conditions/tides take the public out in a race boat-get kids involved they are the future racers.this does not need to be a high speed thing.

I Know that the revenue from licenses is used to fund the RYA department and that some of the License requirements are perhaps Insurance requirements but is it time to look into these stipulations and see if there is an alternative.With some of the RALLY events attracting a better entry than fully fledged race days is it not time to reconsider for the better of the sport in the future.Is the income from multiple event licenses better than a declining number of full licenses.
These are only my opinion/observations in my first season of racing but having seen a drastic decline in just my first season and having heard of the glory days I think a review needs to take place and looking at Licenses is a start.
Nic

NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #2

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

I suggest that you put your points to John Puddifoot at RYA House first.
He will advise re insurance co. needs, etc.
What you say makes sense, but with H & S being such an influence on everything these daysa in the UK, life is not always so simple.

Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #3

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

excellent post nic
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #4

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

I will again take this to ORC (Offshore Racing Committee) !!

Bob
Old 12-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #5

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
I know this has been discussed in great length previously but as a relative newbie to racing I do feel that with the declining entrants the license requirements could be made easier.and I would like to raise the following points.I know there is a view point that if you can't commit or afford it don't bother but is this really working in todays economy?

Medical;Is this really neccessary,there are lots of motorsports that do not require a medical and some of these are far more physical than Boat racing.I think we are all sensible enough to know if we are physically fit to race, the medical I had this year had no consideration to physical battering you take (Thanks Bob) and the fact you can self certificate for the first Event license makes this a bit of a mockery.

Two Event Restriction:Why should there be a restriction ?There are a lot of people that cannot commit to a full race season but might want to take part in more the two events.with a lot of classes only running a limited number of events ie; the propossed Rib series (if it gets off the ground) if they run three events do you take out a full license for the third event or just not take part? or pay the full license from the start to do only three events?.Also teams with limited budgets can stagger the costs during the season.

License Refund:A scale of refund if for unforseen reasons you cannot complete the season ie;injury,blown engine.

Newbie Training:I think the current driver training ticks some boxes but isn't really adequate,my suggestion is that a newbie driver should be made to take part in two races where they are forced to start behind the main field and take wide lines on the bends.

Equipment Hire;To assist with newbie teams wishing to take part could the RYA not have safety equipment packs that a team can hire IE; Life Jackets/Flares/Intercoms/Helmets as to buy all this just to see if you like it is a considerable burden.

Demonstrations:Subject to weather conditions/tides take the public out in a race boat-get kids involved they are the future racers.this does not need to be a high speed thing.

I Know that the revenue from licenses is used to fund the RYA department and that some of the License requirements are perhaps Insurance requirements but is it time to look into these stipulations and see if there is an alternative.With some of the RALLY events attracting a better entry than fully fledged race days is it not time to reconsider for the better of the sport in the future.Is the income from multiple event licenses better than a declining number of full licenses.
These are only my opinion/observations in my first season of racing but having seen a drastic decline in just my first season and having heard of the glory days I think a review needs to take place and looking at Licenses is a start.
Nic
Well I was gonna stay out of this, but that wouldn't be like me so...

Medical - This is most likely for insurance reasons. Sure, the RYA have managed to get an exception for event licences to help people try the sport out as cheaply as possible, but this is what we want, right?

Two event restriction - I've gotta admit, I'm with you on this one. It's been a major pain for us over here too.

Licence refund - I'd imagine the money paid here goes towards the stupid amount of paperwork now involved. Would probably be an administrative PITA to have to start doing pro-rata refunds.

Newbie Training - Surely this is down to the clubs? Do we really need the RYA to hold our hands for everything? Why can't the experienced members in the club help out the new guys to train/ demonstrate/ give guidance where needed? Surely more rules saying how people have to be trained will just cause more hassle for all of us.

Equipment Hire - Back to the clubs again here. We've got about 6 Hutchwilco's belonging to the club. That said, it's hard enough to keep track of who's borrowed what over here, let alone the RYA trying to keep track of borrowed kit over the whole UK!

Demonstrations - Yep, I agree they'd be a good idea, though I'd imagine the problem here is good 'ol insurance. What happens if someone gets hurt? I wouldn't imagine your insurance would cover you in that situation.
One thing I do think is a great idea is the 'have a go' raceboats such as bob uses in OCR, probably others use the idea too. I'm building a P18 to have over here for this purpose for next year.

I don't like or loathe the RYA any more than anyone else, I just feel it's very easy for us to all use them as a scapegoat. Yeah, they're our controlling body as such, but the future of the sport is in our hands.
If people spent as much time getting out there and promoting the sport as they do criticising it, we'd probably be a lot better off. We all need to stop fighting over petty little things, accept that not everyone can be in charge, and start to work together towards a common goal to get the sport back on it's feet, otherwise I can see things getting grim really soon.

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #6

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by larby View Post

Medical - This is most likely for insurance reasons. Sure, the RYA have managed to get an exception for event licences to help people try the sport out as cheaply as possible, but this is what we want, right?

Two event restriction - I've gotta admit, I'm with you on this one. It's been a major pain for us over here too.

Licence refund - I'd imagine the money paid here goes towards the stupid amount of paperwork now involved. Would probably be an administrative PITA to have to start doing pro-rata refunds.

Newbie Training - Surely this is down to the clubs? Do we really need the RYA to hold our hands for everything? Why can't the experienced members in the club help out the new guys to train/ demonstrate/ give guidance where needed? Surely more rules saying how people have to be trained will just cause more hassle for all of us.

Equipment Hire - Back to the clubs again here. We've got about 6 Hutchwilco's belonging to the club. That said, it's hard enough to keep track of who's borrowed what over here, let alone the RYA trying to keep track of borrowed kit over the whole UK!

Demonstrations - Yep, I agree they'd be a good idea, though I'd imagine the problem here is good 'ol insurance. What happens if someone gets hurt? I wouldn't imagine your insurance would cover you in that situation.
One thing I do think is a great idea is the 'have a go' raceboats such as bob uses in OCR, probably others use the idea too. I'm building a P18 to have over here for this purpose for next year.

I don't like or loathe the RYA any more than anyone else, I just feel it's very easy for us to all use them as a scapegoat. Yeah, they're our controlling body as such, but the future of the sport is in our hands.
If people spent as much time getting out there and promoting the sport as they do criticising it, we'd probably be a lot better off. We all need to stop fighting over petty little things, accept that not everyone can be in charge, and start to work together towards a common goal to get the sport back on it's feet, otherwise I can see things getting grim really soon.

James
Hi James my comments on here were meant in a constructive mode not criticism..The reason I suggested the Newbie Traning comments were if anything to protect officials and secondly to protect other racers,currently a new driver is taken out with the nominated trainer in a non race scenario and if he's happy he's signed off to race.The new driver is then free to mix it with the rest on his first race,imagine if an accident happens(God forbid) on the first turn involving that new driver-all hell would break loose-Health and Safety would have a field day and so would the regular racers..In my first race as a driver or navigator the start and run to the first turn was the biggest eye opener hence my suggestion to start behind the main start and my comments on the turns was because that's when most hooks/rolls/collisions etc takes place.Hopefully any newbie would be sensible but imagine some 'I can do that'
person causing an incident where would the finger be pointed?.
With regard Event Licenses previously you could have unlimited event licenses without a medical it was only this year you had to have one for your second event license I think ?.as I said I think we are sensible enough to know if we are fit to race I think on my medical only the blood pressure was something I could not have checked myself.
On wards and upwards hopefully Cheers Nic
NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #7

Interests: Old motor boats & old aircraft
Boat name: Pisces
Boat make: 1970 Stapely Falcon 17'
Engines: Merc 115 1984
Cruising area: CMBA meets

Quote:

James
I am not a racer, having only classic speedboats inc. an ex ski raceboat, but I admire what all you racers do immensely & love the sport & the boats. However the in-fighting & backbiting just on this forum is something else & can only be detrimental, no one gains from it - certainly not the sport as a whole. People go to the trouble of organising events such as the CMC & already some are trying to put the event down - after only 48hrs or so! Surely no one event is for everyone so if it's not for you & it's not downright dangerous why not just wish everyone well who does want to organise/participate instead of appearing to want to shoot the event down in flames. As I say I don't race & I don't know any of you guys. But I don't get it. Anyone thinking about starting to race but being a little unsure could easily be put off.

My ten penneth.

Geoff
Alacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #8

Nic - That's cool, I wasn't meaning to sound argumentative or anything either, just saying it the way I see it. I can be a bit blunt sometimes, sorry!
I see where you're coming from, but I see the other side to it too.
I believe the race 'training' is intended to be just a test. We put driver and nav in their boat as, at the end of the day, the nav is essential to the driver and needs to be tested too. We then follow in a chase boat and give them a bit of a hard time to make it as 'racy' as possible. They get tested when overtaking, being overtaken, cornering, navigation, MOB recovery etc etc. It's easy enough to tell if someone is up to scratch and sensible.
If someone really new to it all turned up, we'd insist they get taught by an experienced racer and generally got used to their boat first before attempting the test.

I don't personally think it's fair to make someone hang back at a race, goes against the spirit of it all. This is why new racers have orange bands for their first few races. It's easy to spot them and the experienced racers should know to give them a wide berth.

James

Old 13-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #9

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:

James
I agree that we all (The whole sport, racers, supporters, officials etc) must work together & stop back-biting, as often happens.
Your last sentance is very true, & everyone needs to recognise that.
Its the old "...house divided against itself..." syndrome.
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 03:25 AM   #10
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Who are the CMC and what are they organising?

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #11

Cowes to Monte Carlo I'm guessing...

Old 14-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #12

Interests: Old motor boats & old aircraft
Boat name: Pisces
Boat make: 1970 Stapely Falcon 17'
Engines: Merc 115 1984
Cruising area: CMBA meets

Quote:
Cowes to Monte Carlo I'm guessing...
That's what I meant yes.
Alacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #13

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Who are the CMC and what are they organising?
I assume your head has gone to a different holiday resort than the rest of your body !!
Old 14-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #14
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
I assume your head has gone to a different holiday resort than the rest of your body !!
I was trying to read it all on my phone and I somehow thought the implication was that the CMC was a club! Not much sleep over the last few days and totally lost Saturday - something to do with the date line I'm told ..............

I think discussions can be beneficial so long as it doesn't get personal or political.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #15

Interests: Boats military vehicles
Boat name: HORATIA
Boat make: Nelson 40
Engines: Cats 800 hp
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I was trying to read it all on my phone and I somehow thought the implication was that the CMC was a club! Not much sleep over the last few days and totally lost Saturday - something to do with the date line I'm told ..............

I think discussions can be beneficial so long as it doesn't get personal or political.
I had to think about it.i thought it was clinnic fof STD

Catweazle is offline   Reply With Quote