Boatmad.com

Old 24-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #1

flogging a dead horse

CTC is 2 days away and the only PR on here is negative.

Should this web site not be buzzing with excitment.

Who really supports this other than the guys who chuck alot of money to enter and the organisers. So sad

hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

I was really looking forward to getting up bright and early Sunday morning to enjoy the event on the tracking system and from the Cowes webcams as I did last year.

Unfortunately, we have a major hurricane headed straight for us so the wife and I are buggering off to a hotel on Saturday. The plan is to return Monday to see if we still have a waterfront house or just waterfront.

Have a good race everyone. Wish I could be there.

Old 25-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
The Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post

Who really supports this other than the guys who chuck alot of money to enter and the organisers. So sad
Thats probably a slight exaggeration. The CTC i cant comment on. The Poker Run seems to be getting a nice head of steam up now that the organisers have given themselves a nice boot up their arses!

I assume you'll be down in the rib?
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

actually since the finish has been moved back to Cowes I thought the mood had changed for the better - maybe there is a slight rose tint to my contact lenses!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #5

good news that they've moved it back to cowes, means people will get a good look without walking halfway around the coast, can only be a plus
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #6

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Weather permitting we will launch in Salcombe and watch them around the Ore Stone !! How many entries are there and what time is the start ?
Old 25-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #7

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

starts at 10.00 and about 20 entries www.cowes2011.co.uk
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #8

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Quote:
Should this web site not be buzzing with excitment
Must admit it had crossed my mind also, it did seem a little quite on the forum front for such a renowned race ... most (not all) of the teams have also been pretty quite on any vocal war-cries, maybe their saving themselves for the battle out at sea

I certainly hope that John and his team wont take the slightly less banter as a reason not to carry on organising this great event and any others should the urge be their

I know these Marathon races CTC aside are offshore, but watching the Bournemouth race does show how a spectator unfriendly series it is, as the Marathon boats were gone for an hour an a half before reappearing, could it not have been a race to a mark a little closer and then maybe an added lap in the bay ... just a thought ... I know I'm not competing so not my money, just saying

Anyhow I will in all hope be going down to Hurst to watch and then onto Cowes to see the boats and hope I can get onto the pontoon for a few photos

SO WHO ELSE FROM BOATMAD IS WATCHING
Old 25-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #9

Thank you for your comments on the Needles Marathon race (Bournemouth race), the course was one C lap of 85 miles followed by two A laps making a total distance of 103 miles, the course was set like this in response to comments received from the Marathon teams that they did not wish to have a multi lap race around the bay, but wished to go back to offshore racing, the two small laps at the end allowed the curtailment of any slower boats , also we did not have to hold the volunteer safety boats out for an excessive length of time waiting for the last few boats that may be limping home to get a finish. Running a Marathon race is always going to be a difficult balance between an offshore course and trying to get spectator viewing, but while the boats disappeared for 90 minutes, the spectators were entertained by the Camden and club races.
RMYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #10

Interests: Le Mans Power Boats GOODWOOD Revival
Boat name: THUNDERBOLT 1961 COWES TORQUAY WINNER
Boat make: CHRISTINA 25
Engines: 2 5 litre Chevrolets total 440 hp
Cruising area: Solent

C-t-c

The morning dawned overcast, nothing new for an August bank holiday weekend but the sun was trying to break throughat least. We dashed up to the campsite shop to get the Daily Express for the latest up to date information about the race, we would have to wait until later to get the new Race Programme,,, now it was time to get down to Berry Head and listen to the start over the loud speakers that had been put up.

It was now 10 oclock the race had started and you could hear the roar of the engines over Jimmy Baird’s commentary they were on their way …we were all picking our favourite to win and down below you could see the bay filling up with boats getting ready to spot the first one home but there was still hours to go yet!.
Time for some sandwiches and tea as we waited for that first speck on the horizon as the leaders pounded across Lyme Bay from Portland Bill. Time was moving on and come 2.30pm Berry Head was packed with spectators scanning the sea looking for the slightest indication of the race fleet…then there it was the barely perceptible white dots emerging from the haze then we spotted the light aircraft not long now.
We tracked them across the horizon as they made their way to the Skerries bouy ….then we waited for what seemed an age, then first a helicopter appeared the some light planes, then it hit you the roar of those V8’s shattering the air….there were 2 boats battling away below the cliffs, they swept round the headland and into Torbay and out of view but the loudspeakers kept us informed of the battle royal as they headed past Brixham ,Goodrington, Paignton the excitement was rising who was going to pass the finish line first…they’ve won ! who ? the Brits or the Yankee boat…confusion..then the announcement came the Gardners had won Bertram went the wrong side of the finish marker…

You say why isn’t anyone getting excited about the CTC, I am, but these days there is something missing, in fact no there is a lot missing! And as the years go by a little more of that old magic disappears……
THUNDERBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERBOLT View Post
The morning dawned overcast, nothing new for an August bank holiday weekend but the sun was trying to break throughat least. We dashed up to the campsite shop to get the Daily Express for the latest up to date information about the race, we would have to wait until later to get the new Race Programme,,, now it was time to get down to Berry Head and listen to the start over the loud speakers that had been put up.

It was now 10 oclock the race had started and you could hear the roar of the engines over Jimmy Baird’s commentary they were on their way …we were all picking our favourite to win and down below you could see the bay filling up with boats getting ready to spot the first one home but there was still hours to go yet!.
Time for some sandwiches and tea as we waited for that first speck on the horizon as the leaders pounded across Lyme Bay from Portland Bill. Time was moving on and come 2.30pm Berry Head was packed with spectators scanning the sea looking for the slightest indication of the race fleet…then there it was the barely perceptible white dots emerging from the haze then we spotted the light aircraft not long now.
We tracked them across the horizon as they made their way to the Skerries bouy ….then we waited for what seemed an age, then first a helicopter appeared the some light planes, then it hit you the roar of those V8’s shattering the air….there were 2 boats battling away below the cliffs, they swept round the headland and into Torbay and out of view but the loudspeakers kept us informed of the battle royal as they headed past Brixham ,Goodrington, Paignton the excitement was rising who was going to pass the finish line first…they’ve won ! who ? the Brits or the Yankee boat…confusion..then the announcement came the Gardners had won Bertram went the wrong side of the finish marker…

You say why isn’t anyone getting excited about the CTC, I am, but these days there is something missing, in fact no there is a lot missing! And as the years go by a little more of that old magic disappears……
sorry old mate but like me your living in the past, when gentlemen were up for good honest fun without all the new age "clingons" getting in the way, when Sir Max could land a helicopter on his house in Cowes for a bet, i'm afraid the days of real old classic's have had there day, other than flat calm we could never get round the course in time, all the safetyboats etc would be gone and well in to there jolly by the time we got back, Gee is off to the south of france in early september, who knows when you'll see her again, it will be nice to see the race start from cowes though, that's a step in the right direction, may put the big rib in and come and watch for a while
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #12

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

I think also the older you get you have seen it and possibly done it,but I'm still very much looking forward to Sunday morning
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #13

Cruising area: southcoast

needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMYC View Post
Thank you for your comments on the Needles Marathon race (Bournemouth race), the course was one C lap of 85 miles followed by two A laps making a total distance of 103 miles, the course was set like this in response to comments received from the Marathon teams that they did not wish to have a multi lap race around the bay, but wished to go back to offshore racing, the two small laps at the end allowed the curtailment of any slower boats , also we did not have to hold the volunteer safety boats out for an excessive length of time waiting for the last few boats that may be limping home to get a finish. Running a Marathon race is always going to be a difficult balance between an offshore course and trying to get spectator viewing, but while the boats disappeared for 90 minutes, the spectators were entertained by the Camden and club races.
in my opion it worked well
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #14

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMYC View Post
I think the RMYC race was spot-on - the Camden race kept 'pier interest' alive, & the course was a good balance.
It was proven on the day by the positive feedback & the date change again worked well.
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #15

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:

There is excitement among the 'officionadoes' (spelling ?) & in the financial situation everyone (well most) is/are in, its good that we have a race at all.
Best thing is - create some excitement on the forum & cut down the negative vibes !
I'm excited, & at 64 that may be something !
Enjoy it while we have it - It would be good to see RIB 69 here adding to the number.
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #16

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

I am launching in southampton somewhere to watch the start finish if the weather allows.
Old 25-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #17

Interests: Sportscar racing IMSA / Restoration of old offshore race boats...I own the 35 foot Cigarette Spirit. Benihana
Boat make: Banana boat, 28SS Cigarette, 35 Foot Cigarette
Cruising area: Narragansett Bay / Atlantic Ocean

Wishing all concerned the very best. Much luck to the competitors. A safe race for the organizers and a spectacular race for the people lining the shore and watching from the boats.

Sorry we couldn't be there this year, hope to one day.

from HORBA and all the boys back here:

Charlie McCarthy
Michael Aronow
Allan "Brownie" Brown
Bobby Saccenti
Richie Powers
Steve Sirois
Jim Hauser
Cadillac McDaniel
and
Joe de Fusco (the winner of last years 271 mile Around Long Island race)

Top Banana is offline   Reply With Quote

« Rb12 | medical »