Boatmad.com

Old 01-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Harwich event

The tragic twist to the festivities in Harwich this weekend has somewhat overshadowed what was certainly going to be a superb event.
I felt that it's only right to write a few words congratulating all involved, Barrie, Sheena, Paul, Roy, Bob, Steve, Shirley etc plus all their excellent staff & crew for bringing this together.
Most have no idea just how much graft & heartache goes into organising a big event like Harwich and I can honestly say that I've never, ever been anywhere 'racing', where I have been made to feel so welcome by the locals.
Everyone from the hotel people to the harbour master were genuinely pleased to have us, and really couldn't have been more generous & helpful if they'd tried! As I left this afternoon, the Harbour master said "Make sure you guys come back and see us next year".
The general vibe was that the locals considered an event like this to be very good for their town and they'd love us back. How often do we get that??..Never.

So, thank you to everyone who made it possible, and I'm so sorry that fate dealt such a horrible, tragic blow yesterday, overshadowing such outstanding work.

Please don't let the sad events of yesterday put you off continuing such work, as I'm certain that would be the very last thing our friend Ian would have wanted as an outcome from his tragic premature passing.

JF

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Just to reiterate Jon's thoughts, both Barrie and Sheena amongst others looked totally devastated and beaten today and I hope they can at least take away some thanks for the level of work and effort they put in.

In particular Barrie for taking time out on Friday to walk the whole pits introducing myself and Craig to all and sundry, most importantly, one person in particular which will of course be an enduring memory.

Their aim was to create a showcase event and they achieved it, just unfortunate that it had to be marred by circumstances.

So I can only hope that Barrie / Sheena in true racing grit fashion will pick themselves up, dust themselves down and put it on again as that has the makings of being a fitting tribute to Ian.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #3

Interests: racing, gettin wet.
Boat name: sea j marine
Boat make: 12ft scorpio,14 fletcher,16 argo
Engines: 25hp merc and 90 yam
Cruising area: southampton water

unfortunatly i couldnt make it down but have heard it was a great event, maybe next year there should be a tribute to ian, he was a great guy and racer, 25 years is a long time and it was clearly his pasion, one of the great moments i saw of ian was in gibralter racing ocr, the race were it was a straight fight for the championship between him and derek basham, even after loosing his helmet twice in that race he still carried on the fight and missed the win by a wisker, for someone who faught so hard and missed out there was no real disapointment or sadness that he lost out, that was one of the great things about ian always the guy who had such a great sence of fair play, will be very sadly missed and my thoughts go out to the family.

John
Old 03-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #4

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

I have that race on dvd, may be we could show it if there is another video night some where as a fitting tribute and show Ian at his best for all those that didn't have the pleasure of seeing it. Just a thought.