Boatmad.com

Old 24-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #1

Harwich Powerboat Festival

It`s offical.My mole who resides near Harwich ,advises that the local radio station has announced today that there is to be a Grand Powerboat Festival to be held at Harwich with boat parades etc in 2010.40,000 spectators are expected.Now where did Mike Lloyd put that list of contacts for competitors?

FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #2

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
It`s offical.My mole who resides near Harwich ,advises that the local radio station has announced today that there is to be a Grand Powerboat Festival to be held at Harwich with boat parades etc in 2010.40,000 spectators are expected.Now where did Mike Lloyd put that list of contacts for competitors?
What list? Rumour also is that Harwich is one of the stop off points for the 2012 RB just before the final 100 mile dash back up the Thames!!

But who pays any attention to rumour

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #3

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
Your Mole wants to keep his ear to the ground a bit more !! It was on the news around that area 2 weeks ago.
And yes it is true, should be quite a big event Barry Williams will tell you all about it !!

Bob
Old 25-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Website

http://harwichpowerboats.com
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #5

Harwich Announcement

If it was broadcast 2 weeks ago,then I would have thought the `Offical` announcement would have also been made on Boatmad.Hope they scoop up enough entries as most boats in the past ended up on the mud flats in that area,or is it an estuary race round the container port?You might not want to publisize it,but without your input Mike (chasing and persuading)the CTC would not be in such good shape,and hence the list mental or written.
Old 25-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #6

May I bring some clarity?

In 1908 Harwich held a Regatta for Motorboats. The trophy was donated by Mr. Hepworth of Hepworth Tailors and won by Sir Thomas Lipton (of Lipton Teas). We are trying to establish if it that race constituted the element of the 1908 Olymics, which apparently included motorboat racing as an Olympic sport.

History lesson over: Since 1908 Harwich has been an overlooked, but natural powerboat amphitheatre, with the land and sea space available to entertain large crowds from the East Coast catchment area.

Coastal conurbations everywhere, have suffered economically in recent years and are seeking innovation to recover.

Coastal Offshore Powerboat Racing offers that event glamour, a statement that could be ridiculed from parties without the vision, passion or experience of when we had it before.

However, it requires professional funding, organising, managing, promoting, and sustaining.

To realise the ambition will necessitate a rationalisation of the coastal offshore classes, collaborative class working without losing brand identity and cost sharing. That is what the key stakeholders will be working on over the weeks and months ahead and Harwich 2010 promises to be a fine example of what will be happening over the next few years.

Plans for 2011 -2012 are already at International and UK Major Event level.

The dreaming stopped some time ago, the accountants, lawyers and TV have started work.

Everything's open book accounting, so there's no room for financial critisism.

Enjoy your racing, the future looks bright.
Barrie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #7

Perhaps Fish could post some pictures of the 1908 event as believe he was there.
Old 25-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #8

Before my time

Wash your mouth out you young pup,I haven`t become the Harry Patch of Offshore racing just yet.
Old 26-08-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

Nice post Barrie, you know we're there to help.

Old 26-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Williams View Post

In 1908 Harwich held a Regatta for Motorboats. The trophy was donated by Mr. Hepworth of Hepworth Tailors and won by Sir Thomas Lipton (of Lipton Teas). We are trying to establish if it that race constituted the element of the 1908 Olymics, which apparently included motorboat racing as an Olympic sport.

History lesson over: Since 1908 Harwich has been an overlooked, but natural powerboat amphitheatre, with the land and sea space available to entertain large crowds from the East Coast catchment area.

Coastal conurbations everywhere, have suffered economically in recent years and are seeking innovation to recover.

Coastal Offshore Powerboat Racing offers that event glamour, a statement that could be ridiculed from parties without the vision, passion or experience of when we had it before.

However, it requires professional funding, organising, managing, promoting, and sustaining.

To realise the ambition will necessitate a rationalisation of the coastal offshore classes, collaborative class working without losing brand identity and cost sharing. That is what the key stakeholders will be working on over the weeks and months ahead and Harwich 2010 promises to be a fine example of what will be happening over the next few years.

Plans for 2011 -2012 are already at International and UK Major Event level.

The dreaming stopped some time ago, the accountants, lawyers and TV have started work.

Everything's open book accounting, so there's no room for financial critisism.

Enjoy your racing, the future looks bright.
“To realise the ambition will necessitate a rationalisation of the coastal offshore classes, collaborative class working without losing brand identity and cost sharing.”

What? Although I get the gist of the above I now KNOW it’s about time to retire after next year as, like Flying Fish, I am a couple of generations too old. I am not too proud to admit that reading Barrie’s post some of his “word speak” is almost incomprehensible to us “oldies”.

No offence intended Barrie, it’s just an age thing!
Old 26-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #11
Aged Member

Barrie is certainly a Wordmeister......

Old 26-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #12

No offence taken, Mike, it's just common parlance in event marketing and promotions, in the same way as tabs, gills and cleavers would mean nothing to the promoters.

The real issue is that to realise substantial growth, Powerboat Racing must become an event, with significant peripheral activities that attract the crowds, because that's where the promoters make their money - it's just a numbers game. Doesn't matter what constitutes the central commodity, it's the event that matters and that's where the revenue for internal future investment will come from.

We took an OCR boat to Harwich last Sunday and parked it on the beach, several hundred people came from the east coast to see it and be photographed next to it. Newspaper and Radio reporters attended and it featured in east coast media next day. We've had TV interviews broadcast on BBC and ITV and Radio broadcsats from BBC Essex and Dream 100.

That's the power of promotion, which lots of us have forgot - we're too busy organising Powerboat Races.

The entire sport will benefit and I know that, on the strength of what's happening here, other PR and marketing companies are already taking a closer look at what PB has to offer, especially Marathon.

So, in Cowes this weekend, watch out for 'bright young things' with notebooks and cameras, talking of 'strategic and operational sponsorship implementation'. Buy them a drink and tickle their tummies.

Everyone should also get the 'Sponorship Seekers Toolkit Third Edition' by Kim Skildum-Reid & Anne Marie Grey. (Amazon, £16.14 including CD)

More advanced reading is 'The Routledge Handbook of Sports Sponsorship' by Alain Ferrand, Luiggino Torrigiani and Andreu Camps i Povill (Amazon -expensive)
Old 26-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #13
Aged Member

They both sound like Harry Potter books.....

Old 26-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #14

The Toolkit is good, but don't even try the Routledge unless you've got a degree in gobbledeegook. After a month I got to page 2, so now I use mine as a wheel wedge - works great.

Good Luck at Cowes!
Old 26-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #15
Aged Member

Thanks mate....

Old 26-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #16

"So, in Cowes this weekend, watch out for 'bright young things' with notebooks and cameras, talking of 'strategic and operational sponsorship implementation'. Buy them a drink and tickle their tummies."

What are you trying to do, get me arrested? I know a few guys who will though.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #17

Cruising area: southwest

"[QUOTE=Barrie Williams;165451]May I bring some clarity?

History lesson "

08Powerboating Olympic races were held in the Solent/Soton Water
southwesthotcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #18

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

[QUOTE=southwesthotcat;166631]"
Quote:

How did you get on in it ??
Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #19
timtap

Interests: Photography, Real Ale .
Boat name: Shooters Too
Boat make: Scarab 22SC
Engines: Mercruiser 270hp
Cruising area: South West

Send a message via Yahoo to timtap
Posted in MotorBoating Aug23rd 2008

Motor boating at the Olympics

Okay, it last happened in 1908 and attracted a field of seven boats, 13 men and one woman across three classes – which might just explain why it didn’t survive beyond the London event, the only motorised event to make it into the Olympics. In fairness enthusiasm was probably not in short supply but the low numbers were caused by multiple pre-start withdrawals thanks to an August gale on day one and high winds on day two. The course was due to run out into the Solent but was re-arranged on the more sheltered Southampton Water between Netley and Calshot.

London 1908 Olympic motorboating details here

According to the official Fourth Olympiad report “Then came the race of the day. Wolseley-Siddeley (Duke of Westminster), Daimler II (Lord Howard), and Mr Thubron’s Camille (from France) all came from their moorings to contest the third Olympic gold medal. The Duke of Westminster was once again at the helm of his boat, Capt. Sir George Clowes keeping his place as engineer, while Mr. Atkinson replaced Capt. J. F. Laycock as the other member of the crew. Just before the start, Daimler II showed a fine burst of speed, but just as the five-minute gun fired she developed some trouble, and, after hanging about and cruising at slow speed for some time, she turned and went away down the course without crossing the line.

“Meanwhile, Wolseley-Siddeley, after waiting for Daimler II, in order to make a race of it, started alone, to be followed, however, shortly afterwards by Camille. Wolseley-Siddeley finished her second round in 18 min. 8 sec., this representing a speed of 26·6 knots, which was as much as could be expected on such a day, and, as she had then nearly lapped 230 Camille, it seemed safe to conclude that the third gold medal would also go to an English-built boat. But it was not to be.

“The tide was rather past half-ebb, and Wolseley-Siddeley getting too close to Hamble Spit went high and dry on the soft mud, and so eliminated herself from the contest. Daimler II meanwhile had retired, and so Camille was left to finish alone, which she did at a speed of nearly 18 knots. Her lap times were 36 min. 15 sec. (including the late start), 27 min. 5 sec., 26 min. 42 sec., 26 min. 14 sec., and 30 min. 27 sec., the speed of the best round being 18·3 knots.

“This finished the racing, which had proved most disappointing from both the record-breaking and spectacular points of view, but which furnished another instance of what can be got out of modern boats when handled with skill, nerve, and determination.”

That final paragraph is quite funny – I know many people who would be quite happy to get 18 knots average out of a 36-footer in half a gale, one whole century on.

I Can't seem to find many Photographs around !!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #20

[QUOTE=southwesthotcat;166631]"
Quote:

History lesson "

Did you and Hannes get a medal that weekend?