Boatmad.com

Old 25-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
"Perhaps a bit of new blood etc.."

Best you get involved and help out then.

I can give you telephone numbers for Shirley, Mike etc.

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #22

Interests: Powerboat Racing
Boat name: Team Purple, Team Shark
Boat make: Sperstock 150, 300 race boats, Class 3s cat
Engines: Honda 150, 2.5 efi ROS*2
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
Not suprised!!! you gave us a run for our money........
That was fun..... but appear to have my vtec LMA springs in 5 pieces on two of the pots...... sounded like a light rattle - tappets, until i adjusted them all and the noise was still there......

The Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #23
Dan
On a roll

Interests: Bristol Rovers, Cider & Boats
Boat name: Aqua Thunder, Badboy
Boat make: Bernico F2, Phantom 21
Engines: Merc 280efi, Merc 260efi
Cruising area: Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
"Perhaps a bit of new blood etc.."

Best you get involved and help out then.

I can give you telephone numbers for Shirley, Mike etc.
Are yo saying that you dont need new blood in the sport then?

Didnt mean to touch a nerve. I dont have a problem helping out at all in ways that I can, infact I've spent the last several years helping out with safety at ski racing, ocr, honda, class 1's thats what got me into racing to be fair, having said that what would you suggest I do as clearly you feel as though you have the answer?
Old 25-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #24
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
what is being proposed for next is allready in place now.ORDA and OCR are allready putting on multi class events,and are making a good job of it,even in a recession.If we can tempt the honda fleet to come and play we have then cracked it.We do not need any new group to tell us how to put on events unless they have something new to offer that we have overlooked.
Brian, Chairman ORDA
Brian. I really think you should re read that post to yourself as it seems to state that unless an event is organised by yourself or ocr then it is not deemed worthy.

Dan has raised a question on a forum that is visited by racers from all walks, spectators, assisters, and people with just a general interest and you seem to have alienated them with one post.

You're not related to Max Moseley are you?
Old 27-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #25
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Torquay

replies to e-mail enquries might help.

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #26

Boat name: On The Rocks
Boat make: Ring 21 marshan 17 four winns horizon, hydro 3 pointer, f2 cat, backdraft 22
Cruising area: Way up norf and Sarf coast areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorvator View Post
Brian. I really think you should re read that post to yourself as it seems to state that unless an event is organised by yourself or ocr then it is not deemed worthy.

Dan has raised a question on a forum that is visited by racers from all walks, spectators, assisters, and people with just a general interest and you seem to have alienated them with one post.

You're not related to Max Moseley are you?

Thats how I read it as well,

This is only a dicussion Dan is having with this forum which maybe is whats required to take the sport forward,

Only my observation

gaZ
gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #27

Boat name: The Rock - 66
Boat make: Doug Wright 32
Engines: Merc EFI 280s
Cruising area: Middle East

[QUOTE=The Force;160372]From my perspective I like to race as much as possible, currently Im doing 5 Honda weekends plus the brass monkey and the Cancer, with the busy weekend schedule Honda had last year I had over 30 starts... problem being is that most of the season is compounded and there are only so many weekends you can fix the broken things and test etc....

Honda is probably in transition anyway (there is a meeting tomorrow to discuss 2010 and beyond) and it will probably make sense in these times to pool resources between organisations. How much better Plymouth would have been, like last year, for spectators if F4SA had teamed up with the other organisations. It was sad to see only 6 out of over 20 225s last Sunday. Yep I'm guilty as others for not entering but like SC I can't afford the time, the damage repairs and weakness of Honda mounts and saddles without warranty (not forgetting crash/roll damage). To race Honda with no prize money is expensive and this is why you rarely see Honda people entering other races. They held their full entry fees depsite no TV and only the 'committed' or new raced in 225.

Why on earth did F4SA not go to Plymouth next week?

Anyway the idea of huge events with all of us like Cowes in 2007 makes sense for spectators, sponsors and teams. Cowes Week was always a party in sailing with bands and giant screens showing racing etc. TV? Well Honda had good TV but bad scheduling. In 2008 it clashed for example with England Soccer??? It needs someone with good contacts to pursuade the broadcasters to show high quality and exciting footage such as Dream Team can produce and I'm afraid it means showing the crashes, pain and torture which people here frown upon.

It's simply a spiral of success or decline. Who the hell can watch anymore Ice Truckers or Trawlermen throwing crab cages? And yet they get high profile slots and regular repeats.

Angles angles angles are what it needs. Passion, danger, extremism and excitement breeds spectators - sex and glamour like P1 tries. The BBC road show was only 1 year out of 5 that Chris put on. People all around Plymouth are saddened by the loss of Class 1 - every time I talk powerboats they remember the scale of Class 1 and from all walks of life. But even that didn't get promoted effectively as always there is too little resource for marketing, press and branding. That takes partnership and using resources of all involved. To the powerboat people UK:

Get together: Plan a series of joined up events. Plan the press and PR campaign well in advance and execute it in logical fashion. Then you will open the eys of the public once again. If GB holds the biggest powerboat racing festival in the World I reckon a City or Two would welcome it.
Scream-it.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #28
Dan
On a roll

Interests: Bristol Rovers, Cider & Boats
Boat name: Aqua Thunder, Badboy
Boat make: Bernico F2, Phantom 21
Engines: Merc 280efi, Merc 260efi
Cruising area: Worldwide

Scream it.com

Top post in all areas
Old 27-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Scream it.com

Top post in all areas
Thanks Dan. Been thinking about it: Take Plymouth for example. It has a fantastic National Firework Competition over two nights. Add a week of activity around or before that and call it the British Festival of the Sea. And whats more let's have the UK beer festival on the Hoe promenade and we're happy eh? Invite all the maritime people including Marines and Navy and make a real show of it.
Could even have yacht racing? Now there's a thought eh?

If RB turned up and we could raise 250K Euros to get Class 1 and possibly Xcats on the back of sponsorship (slightly biased there of course) can you imagine? And so when we start thinking outside of the box you can visualise the scale.....but only if people that head up organisations stop protecting their own positions and think about combining efforts for the good of the sport and people like me stop moaning about F4SA

It's pie in the sky the cynics will say but the RB people showed that it can be done. Add all the experiences together and be inclusive to all organisations and I suspet people will see the potential.

If people fight their corners powerboating will never re-surface.

Now if you had a grand scale project you have more chance to get grand scale sponsors even at times like this. But now is the time to plan.
Old 27-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #30

There is currently a major rethink regarding the future structure of national powerboat racing in the UK from 2010, involving the rationalisation of the offshore calendar. The current fragmentisation dilutes the sports overall potential.
I'm down in Plymouth next weekend with representatives of Harwich 2010, which is a three year, all classes, major event, ascending through national, european and world status and culminating in the final leg of the RB12 - a 100nm sprint to Tower Bridge.
I gather that you and Ian will be there, so please come and talk with Shirley Simpkins, Bob McCarthy and me - as you say, it's important.
Barrie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #31

Interests: Rally Driving
Boat name: Double 2 Shirts
Boat make: Planatec 41
Engines: 2x625's+ From Uncle Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Williams View Post
There is currently a major rethink regarding the future structure of national powerboat racing in the UK from 2010, involving the rationalisation of the offshore calendar. The current fragmentisation dilutes the sports overall potential.
I'm down in Plymouth next weekend with representatives of Harwich 2010, which is a three year, all classes, major event, ascending through national, european and world status and culminating in the final leg of the RB12 - a 100nm sprint to Tower Bridge.
I gather that you and Ian will be there, so please come and talk with Shirley Simpkins, Bob McCarthy and me - as you say, it's important.
Thats fantastic News Barrie lets ALL hope this pans out
Old 27-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #32

Martin,
It's organised chaos to have mini convoys of offshore boats heading in opposing directions on summer weekends.
Alhallows in April was a fun opportunity to showcase the different classes on the same day, on the same course.
Everybody together must be the new theme, otherwise we all wilt on the vine.
Barrie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 11:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Williams View Post
Martin,
It's organised chaos to have mini convoys of offshore boats heading in opposing directions on summer weekends.
Alhallows in April was a fun opportunity to showcase the different classes on the same day, on the same course.
Everybody together must be the new theme, otherwise we all wilt on the vine.
There is enough passion in the sport to make it work, it just needs a shared goal and a channeling of this passion in a cohesive manner. The opprotunity is there and so I am sure are the like minds.
Old 27-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream-it.com View Post
There is enough passion in the sport to make it work, it just needs a shared goal and a channeling of this passion in a cohesive manner. The opprotunity is there and so I am sure are the like minds.
Totally agree.

Even I served and sold this guy a few cakes this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	on expenses sir.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	20797  
Old 28-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #35

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Getting racing to a good level is something i would love to see. I do fully understand that many people will not be totally honest if ask why they do not race any more. but some valid points may be raised.
WHY or WHAT is the reason(s) that powerboating in the UK is in such a bad way.
Im sure cost will always be a contributing factor.
I would like to know the views of other ex racers. Maybe this may need to be a closed forum debate as i would think some harsh oppinions may be expressed, but on the other hand if alot of people come up with the same reasons, this could be addressed.
This is not about ruffling feathers but getting to the root of the problem.
Just my oppinion.

All the best.
Paul
Old 28-06-2009, 01:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Getting racing to a good level is something i would love to see. I do fully understand that many people will not be totally honest if ask why they do not race any more. but some valid points may be raised.
WHY or WHAT is the reason(s) that powerboating in the UK is in such a bad way.
Im sure cost will always be a contributing factor.
I would like to know the views of other ex racers. Maybe this may need to be a closed forum debate as i would think some harsh oppinions may be expressed, but on the other hand if alot of people come up with the same reasons, this could be addressed.
This is not about ruffling feathers but getting to the root of the problem.
Just my oppinion.

All the best.
Paul
You are spot on - cost.

Now referring to above posts

As for people banging on about sponsors, find a company that is going to put up 250,000 euro.

I know a bloke that managed to obtain sponsors into this sport for over 25 years.

I worked with him last week on a new proposal.

We spent some considerable time - we were turned down flat.

So being blunt - rather than posting - go out and get the euros - find the venues that want powerboat racing - find a TV channel that wants to show powerboat racing - do the 'elf and safety - speak to the environmentalists - etc.

If you do I will be right behind you.

But as we learned on the path to June 21 2008 - It wasn't as easy as first thought.
Old 28-06-2009, 02:18 AM   #37

Quote:
You are spot on - cost.

Now referring to above posts

As for people banging on about sponsors, find a company that is going to put up 250,000 euro.

I know a bloke that managed to obtain sponsors into this sport for over 25 years.

I worked with him last week on a new proposal.

We spent some considerable time - we were turned down flat.

So being blunt - rather than posting - go out and get the euros - find the venues that want powerboat racing - find a TV channel that wants to show powerboat racing - do the 'elf and safety - speak to the environmentalists - etc.

If you do I will be right behind you.

But as we learned on the path to June 21 2008 - It wasn't as easy as first thought.

That's the whole point: As a group of people it is possible but individually not. The right people doing the right job!

If I could do that list I wouldn't have bothered commenting here would I?

Old 28-06-2009, 02:32 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream-it.com View Post
That's the whole point: As a group of people it is possible but individually not. The right people doing the right job!

If I could do that list I wouldn't have bothered commenting here would I?

Clearly not.

Looking forward in the future to you putting together a team of like minded people to achieve the end result.
Old 28-06-2009, 06:50 AM   #39

Interests: Rally Driving
Boat name: Double 2 Shirts
Boat make: Planatec 41
Engines: 2x625's+ From Uncle Sam

Quote:
Clearly not.

Looking forward in the future to you putting together a team of like minded people to achieve the end result.

So, "Dum Thought of the Day", Why don’t we have an "Association of British Power Boat Clubs" where every Club has a representation in the association and can speak as "One Voice"

Events and any Sponsorship can be channelled through one conduit for the benefit of All.....

Joined up thinking and all that, then we could have the organisation talents of certain individuals in member clubs targeted and better results would follow.

Just a thought........
Old 28-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #40
Silence!!!... I kill you

Interests: Powerboat racing, Travel
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Totally agree.

Even I served and sold this guy a few cakes this afternoon.
How Patronising is that?

Out of interest, you still on the dole? Or have you "signed off" now your a web designer?