Old 28-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #41

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pash 1 View Post
So, "Dum Thought of the Day", Why don’t we have an "Association of British Power Boat Clubs" where every Club has a representation in the association and can speak as "One Voice"

Events and any Sponsorship can be channelled through one conduit for the benefit of All.....

Joined up thinking and all that, then we could have the organisation talents of certain individuals in member clubs targeted and better results would follow.

Just a thought........
We have !! it is called "The Offshore Racing Committee" ORC all the active racing clubs have a delegate on this and we meet bi monthly.
Talk to your clubs representative.

Bob

Old 28-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
You are spot on - cost.

Now referring to above posts

As for people banging on about sponsors, find a company that is going to put up 250,000 euro.

I know a bloke that managed to obtain sponsors into this sport for over 25 years.

I worked with him last week on a new proposal.

We spent some considerable time - we were turned down flat.

So being blunt - rather than posting - go out and get the euros - find the venues that want powerboat racing - find a TV channel that wants to show powerboat racing - do the 'elf and safety - speak to the environmentalists - etc.

If you do I will be right behind you.

But as we learned on the path to June 21 2008 - It wasn't as easy as first thought.
I think we may have proved that cost is not a big issue !! with Ilfracombe !!

I agree that if the dedicated teams got sponsors & could pay proper entry fees then it would not fall onto one or two of us to sponsor these events. sort of chickens and eggs.
You want TV coverage ?? just ask, its not that expensive.

Bob

Old 28-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #43

Boat name: The Rock - 66
Boat make: Doug Wright 32
Engines: Merc EFI 280s
Cruising area: Middle East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pash 1 View Post
So, "Dum Thought of the Day", Why don’t we have an "Association of British Power Boat Clubs" where every Club has a representation in the association and can speak as "One Voice"

Events and any Sponsorship can be channelled through one conduit for the benefit of All.....

Joined up thinking and all that, then we could have the organisation talents of certain individuals in member clubs targeted and better results would follow.

Just a thought........
Its easy to be negative about it. I am the first to dive into negativity when I feel things are wrong - but the one thing that nobody can question here is the common sense approach of this "One Voice" concept.

Strength through association is absolutely key. The question is who can put all thes organisations together to start the process?

In answer to the comment also about sponsorship. Yep it is damned hard but all becuase the sponsor cannot see the 'traffic' as there is no recent precedent. RB08 made a damned good start on the media side with BBC breakfast etc.

But I reckon you have to think much bigger to gain serious interest. The radar needs noise and lots of it!

So go for a 'World Event', couple it with the big boys and why not do a Blue Ribbon to top it all?

Sound mad? Well that's cos we are British but we have lost our sense of adventure - favouring the couch and Ice Truckers. But at least we have that lunatic Bear Grylls out there plugging away!

Actually all we lack is a grand vision. So bring the organisations together and start building it!

I am sure there is a taste for it in the hard working and committed members of the race organisations.

They are all passionate about the sport. There is the natural starting point and Pash is right.

Bob, I give you a call on the subject.
Scream-it.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #44

For what it's worth- as an outsider, I find the sheer variety of different classes almost incomprehensible: looking at the race calendar is like reading a list of American government agencies!
I'm pleased to read Barrie's post that there's going to be some sort of rethink on the current "system", because for Joe Public there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the various classes, clubs and rules. Like he says, "It's organised chaos to have mini convoys of offshore boats heading in opposing directions on summer weekends."
Perhaps one of the reasons that Honda racing is so popular is that even dumb-asses like me can figure it out. All I need to know is that because all the boats & engines are identical, the team in the lead are better drivers & navigators than the boat in last place. And perhaps if the hardware is all standard, any half-bright monkey can write out a cheque and join in, knowing he'll be on a level playing field with the Big Boys.
I know I'm making some sweeping generalisations here, but you get my drift.
uncledekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #45

And another thing:
Scream-it.com came up with a blinder: "If GB holds the biggest powerboat racing festival in the World I reckon a City or Two would welcome it."
How hard can it be to get as many different classes together once a year for a weekend of racing? This would be the ultimate idea of pooling resources, it would show Joe Public exactly what's out there, and it would make for one hell of a publicity event. Hell, I'd even be willing to stump up a couple of quid to go & see something like that!
uncledekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledekka View Post
And another thing:
Scream-it.com came up with a blinder: "If GB holds the biggest powerboat racing festival in the World I reckon a City or Two would welcome it."
How hard can it be to get as many different classes together once a year for a weekend of racing? This would be the ultimate idea of pooling resources, it would show Joe Public exactly what's out there, and it would make for one hell of a publicity event. Hell, I'd even be willing to stump up a couple of quid to go & see something like that!
We did this with the finals in Cardiff 2004 & even though it pissed down all weekend was still a fantastic event.
All Circuit Classes
Class 3
OCRDA
Jet Sport etc.

It is quite easy to do it again just needs a few dedicated enthusiasts as oposed to a few out to make a quick buck !!

Scream-it should form a committee with me Dan, Barrie and anyone else who wants to volunteer, but lets keep it within ORC and NOT for personal Income.

Bob
Old 28-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
We did this with the finals in Cardiff 2004 & even though it pissed down all weekend was still a fantastic event.
All Circuit Classes
Class 3
OCRDA
Jet Sport etc.

It is quite easy to do it again just needs a few dedicated enthusiasts as oposed to a few out to make a quick buck !!

Scream-it should form a committee with me Dan, Barrie and anyone else who wants to volunteer, but lets keep it within ORC and NOT for personal Income.

Bob
Time to talk then as I have just come back from the Honda future meeting which I have to say was good and well done to Tony Crossley for driving that but i will leave others to announce when 'adopted'

Time for a beer Bob...perhaps I'll come over this week with Penn to show her the holiday vehicle ;-)
Old 28-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #48

Any time before Thursday unless you want to come out Thursday evening !!

Just call before you come !!

Bob
Old 28-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #49

Looking Ahead

2010 (CT 50yr annivesary) seems to be a cut off date when all eyes turn to what next.What next indeed.What will the national fleet consist of.At present we have 10yr old batboats forming CIII,and Marathon boats which are anything from 12-25yrs old,with a few exceptions.Maybe this is why the sport is in limbo.If it wasn`t for the Buzzi brigade pitching up,there would be even less glamour to it.There aren`t boatbuilders now who can afford to construct these craft as there were years ago.P1 seems to rely on U.S. and other manufacturers providing boats which are fairley new and competitive.Maybe this is what the National events need.We can`t go on relying on knackered batboats etc forever.It`s almost as if whoever is going to be the guiding light in re structuring the sport,would need to be aware of how the fleets are made up,and what likely manufacturers would participate.This maybe a bit negative,but I bet I`m not the only one who has had these thoughts.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
2010 (CT 50yr annivesary) seems to be a cut off date when all eyes turn to what next.What next indeed.What will the national fleet consist of.At present we have 10yr old batboats forming CIII,and Marathon boats which are anything from 12-25yrs old,with a few exceptions.Maybe this is why the sport is in limbo.If it wasn`t for the Buzzi brigade pitching up,there would be even less glamour to it.There aren`t boatbuilders now who can afford to construct these craft as there were years ago.P1 seems to rely on U.S. and other manufacturers providing boats which are fairley new and competitive.Maybe this is what the National events need.We can`t go on relying on knackered batboats etc forever.It`s almost as if whoever is going to be the guiding light in re structuring the sport,would need to be aware of how the fleets are made up,and what likely manufacturers would participate.This maybe a bit negative,but I bet I`m not the only one who has had these thoughts.
As the song says "the only way is up baby!"

But seriously there are some shoots of spring - even in the building department. The new Xcat that people saw in the cancer race I watched every stage of it's build in Plymouth. The love care and attention that went into that.

It's time to plan for the upturn and there is a flavour for it right around the country.

I'm gonna have a go at getting people together with a shared vision...others are successful in that department but it needs a huge event on a world scale for all of us to get excited about. Inclusive to all who wish to show off their classes, desires and groupings.

wish me luck!
Old 29-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #51

Interests: Powerboat racing, travel, curries, zimmers
Boat name: "N" Class fabrication
Boat make: B23
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: Torbay & Falmouth

Quote:
People who want to race will always find a a way and if that means running a "knackered batboat" then so be it. If the opportunity for something more glamorous comes along then I am sure that that person will relish the idea of showing us how it is done. Bring them on I say because I would love to race against a big fleet. But where are these people now? Are they sat in their armchairs criticising the standard of current raceboats thinking "if only somebody would build me a nice modern all conquering boat I would be out there racing"? I think not. We are currently in a recession that is hitting most people very hard and powerboat racing will surely come well down on the list of must do`s. I think we are lucky that we have the dedicated enthusiasts to give us at least some sort of racing. Just the ramblings of a bitter and twisted old git you understand.
"Old beardy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #52

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Old beardy" View Post
People who want to race will always find a a way and if that means running a "knackered batboat" then so be it. If the opportunity for something more glamorous comes along then I am sure that that person will relish the idea of showing us how it is done. Bring them on I say because I would love to race against a big fleet. But where are these people now? Are they sat in their armchairs criticising the standard of current raceboats thinking "if only somebody would build me a nice modern all conquering boat I would be out there racing"? I think not. We are currently in a recession that is hitting most people very hard and powerboat racing will surely come well down on the list of must do`s. I think we are lucky that we have the dedicated enthusiasts to give us at least some sort of racing. Just the ramblings of a bitter and twisted old git you understand.
Hi Ian - need some crew shots of you two for here >> http://www.britishpowerboatracingclub.co.uk/3c.htm
Some bitter and twisted ones will suffice.

Thanks J
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 10:58 PM   #53

Batboats never die,they.......

Post 49 could have been written in pre-recession days.It`s an overview of the situation,not a snipe at the fleet as it stands now.Sure we appreciate who is prepared to race in the present climate,but that doesn`t stop us having concerns for the future.So we can look forward to a `N class`X cat then,when the financial climate allows or the batboat gives up the ghost beneath you Iain.Phantom 16`s lasted 30 odd years as a guide.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #54

Interests: Powerboat racing, travel, curries, zimmers
Boat name: "N" Class fabrication
Boat make: B23
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: Torbay & Falmouth

Quote:
Post 49 could have been written in pre-recession days.It`s an overview of the situation,not a snipe at the fleet as it stands now.Sure we appreciate who is prepared to race in the present climate,but that doesn`t stop us having concerns for the future.So we can look forward to a `N class`X cat then,when the financial climate allows or the batboat gives up the ghost beneath you Iain.Phantom 16`s lasted 30 odd years as a guide.
My racing days are now somewhat numbered. I am finding it harder to get the zimmer frame in and out of the boat, the incontinence pants are getting uncomfortable, Alex has to shout down the intercom and I can barely see the dashboard! But if I was to continue and the funds allowed it, then I would have to take stock and see what was about. I personally like the smaller classes and have never fancied jumping into anything bigger. I firmly believe that at the moment the boat most suited to the British courses in class 3 is the batboat, whether it is a bit long in the tooth or not. I dont fancy a canopy and as the Italians seem intent on bringing in the canopy rule for 3C then that kills it for me. I like the look of the twister cat but finances preclude going down that route and without a canopy how long would that be eligible anyway?
We have tried to encourage more people to get into the sport by running a P21 for a couple of seasons (proving you can be competitive in a cheap boat in the right conditions) and F200 tried to get more people out there but without much success. What the answer is I dont know, I can only turn up for each race and hope that other like minded enthusiasts come along to race against us. It is a real shame cos there is nothing to choose between the current class 3 competitors, which makes for some good close racing. Add OCR and V24 into the mix and there is plenty of action for the spectators. Lets hope we can encourage a few more to join in the fun.

"Old beardy" is offline   Reply With Quote