Dan
On a roll

Interests: Bristol Rovers, Cider & Boats
Boat name: Aqua Thunder, Badboy
Boat make: Bernico F2, Phantom 21
Engines: Merc 280efi, Merc 260efi
Cruising area: Worldwide

Heres a question

Just to through out there..... lets be honest no matter which form of boat racing your in the crowds dont extactly come flocking. Even when the class ones first came to Plymouth people kept saying hoe the how was full of 100k's of people. It seemed to go un noticed that the BBC radio one roadshow was in town at the time at was situated on the hoe hence the numbers. In more recent time the RB08 kinda passed without anyone noticing doeen here, apart from if you got stuck behind one of the many race boats making there wat up the A38!!!!
Is it now not time to make more of a festival week/weekend try and get a few form of racing togther??? I realise that it would take a fair old venue with all the campers etc etc that now rock up, along with all the various classes of race boats etc but is it worth a try for a season???
Maybe a none starter and I realise that everyones form of racing takes top priority whether it be ocr, ski-ing, honda etc etc, not only that but I guess theres some big personalitiies in each form but whats the chances?? I'll put it to the table............

Old 24-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Dan
On a roll

That should say how the Hoe not hoe the how, sorry,missed the one minute edit time!!

Old 24-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #3

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

WE have been doing this now for some time !! We had several very successful events with OCRDA & Ski Racing. OCRDA are now working closely with ORDA and V24 and keep inviting Honda along.
I could bore you for hours on this subject. perhaps we can discuss it over a few beers in Ilfracombe.

Bob
Old 24-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Dan
On a roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
WE have been doing this now for some time !! We had several very successful events with OCRDA & Ski Racing. OCRDA are now working closely with ORDA and V24 and keep inviting Honda along.
I could bore you for hours on this subject. perhaps we can discuss it over a few beers in Ilfracombe.

Bob
Its a date, looking forward to it Bob.
Old 25-06-2009, 03:25 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
In more recent time the RB08 kinda passed without anyone noticing doeen here, apart from if you got stuck behind one of the many race boats making there wat up the A38!!!!

Twas dull, the only thing we had was BBC Breakfast every morning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7448435.stm
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #6

Interests: Fast boats
Boat name: Xtreme
Boat make: Bernico 21
Engines: Mercury F1, 300 Drag, XR2 "Fingerported"
Cruising area: South West

Bbc

Yeh but how much coverage did you get?
Every time I watched they were talking to some local herbert about the history of the town!!

Hardly a bloody boat in sight, gave up watching after a while because it started to winde me up.

I understand it is better than nothing but it certainly wasn't good!
Cyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #7

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

“It’s an elitist and minority sport, no one would be interested”. That’s what I have been told by several TV companies who I have tried to get interested in the “Professional” version of the RB08 film and offering it to them for nothing!

Nobody cares, except those who are actually in the sport and who are taking part. Consequently it becomes a selfish sport for the interest of those taking part and a few followers. P1 is a prime example, after pumping many millions into that sport they are still nowhere to be seen. Honda used to get TV because they paid huge sums to do so but not any longer. OCRDA has got some as well although I am jealous that they have.

At the end of the day we are just running and taking part in this sport for the fun of it. No glory here. Having said all that, with regard to your original question, things are afoot; there will be a series next year with ALL of the classes taking part at one time. For those of us oldies who remember, we are not re-inventing the wheel, it used to happen like this throughout the 80’s under the UKOBA umbrella. Class 1, 11, 111, Cruisers and Class 4 all running in a pack and great days they were, watch out, it’s all coming back, Cowes this year is just the beginning!!
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #8

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Back in the 80's it had gained some momentum and did appear it could lead to the next step up, but the late 80's recession bit and it all seemed to go down hill from then on
I agree a festival kind of weekend would perhaps encourage greater crowds, but what's the saying you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink ... so you might get more people milling around but that does not mean they have any real enthusiasm or passion for this particular sport
The other problem I feel is you always need a huge fleet of boats to allow for retirements and fill up that large space of waterway namely the race course to make it spectacular to the public and that is perhaps where Honda scored, especially the 150hp class where large fleets lapping regularly spectacularly bouncing around and the driver working hard to keep it all together had a certain something
perhaps V24 should and could become the series that gets the public's attention in the future and then all classes can build on from it
P1 gets some good ideas then implements them wrongly just like the supersport 10 second rule taking the series straight back to the bad days of the first boat not being first what's the point in that ... should have been a 20-30 second rule would have been more reasonable with a an equal gap between the next throttle blasts being allowed although I really don't see the point of any throttle penalty in racing
Old 25-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
v24 rocks

Boat name: bat out of hell, tooti fruty
Cruising area: LA

power boats racing

As Bob has said we have worked hard to put on events for the last 3 years. Brian,Shirley, Bob and Myself at V24 and 3c ORC. Have invited all boats to take part and not one honda or other basic boats has taken up our offer so we go on. Look at Torquay on the 2nd of August we have a crane for the Sundays race and all we have is one Xcat so far for the Basic race.
But we still keep going because we love the spot. were is the surport from all you people on this website. V24Rocks.
bigdog v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
JBP

Just a note, we've just had our first joint Thunder Tour event in North Wales and that did drum up a lot of interest locally as there was a poster in every shop window throughout the town and did receive key support from the local authorities, clubs etc.

The key is in the planning and involvement of the local communities to gain any media coverage and coordinating with other events in the region at the same time.

Our joint OCRDA event in Dover has attracted a few thousand in the past, however, it is their regatta weekend too so again 'other events' which get people there.

This year we have the Thundercat teams in Dover too and the authorities are delighted because they want something the public can see, enjoy and possibly get behind.

Whats the term....Marketing

I'm sure there will be more comments on this and these are my views and not our club, tho th basics are all the same
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #11

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog v2 View Post
Look at Torquay on the 2nd of August we have a crane for the Sundays race and all we have is one Xcat so far for the Basic race.
But we still keep going because we love the spot. were is the surport from all you people on this website. V24Rocks.
Yes recall you posting the X cat entrant sometime back and it is a great pity no other eateries have yet been received, was thinking originally if it's a good turnout it would be worth the trip down to watch ... at least Cinzano posted they would have been their if it were not for their holiday away
problem over the CR Bournemouth race may be most entrants involved were most likely Solent based teams or had access from Southampton which obviously made it logistically easier to enter
Old 25-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #12

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
As Bob has said we have worked hard to put on events for the last 3 years. Brian,Shirley, Bob and Myself at V24 and 3c ORC. Have invited all boats to take part and not one honda or other basic boats has taken up our offer so we go on. Look at Torquay on the 2nd of August we have a crane for the Sundays race and all we have is one Xcat so far for the Basic race.
If you talk to Shirley she will tell you whats is going to happen next year. Hopefully, your prayers will be answered!!
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #13

Interests: Powerboat Racing
Boat name: Team Purple, Team Shark
Boat make: Sperstock 150, 300 race boats, Class 3s cat
Engines: Honda 150, 2.5 efi ROS*2
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
From my perspective I like to race as much as possible, currently Im doing 5 Honda weekends plus the brass monkey and the Cancer, with the busy weekend schedule Honda had last year I had over 30 starts... problem being is that most of the season is compounded and there are only so many weekends you can fix the broken things and test etc....

I would love to come and race at the ORDA /OCR/3c/V24 basics, but its time and commitment, nothing against the organisers who i applaud. I think the answer is coming together and running a full weekend of racing different classes, pooling costs on safety expenses and resources etc..., Plymouth last year I really enjoyed, as we shared the weekend with OCR, 3c and V24 - and it was one of my most enjoyable weekends... finishing racing, so I could actually go and watch some!

Certainly from the Honda calender, location has challenged large /long race formats, Plymouth has been one of the few exceptions where tide, local safety help and a very accomodating QHM has made it easy.

I think (in fact i know) that the honda guys would race more of these events, but they become very focussed on the championship and worried they may break something in a non championship race - in fact thats what happened to me in Plymouth last weekend, i broke something in the Cancer race that was not obvious until plymouth...... and i was slow.. All the best excuses!
The Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
Yeh but how much coverage did you get?
Every time I watched they were talking to some local herbert about the history of the town!!

Hardly a bloody boat in sight, gave up watching after a while because it started to winde me up.

I understand it is better than nothing but it certainly wasn't good!
How much coverage?

The amount of BBC viewers who logged on to the RB web site the morning of June 21 '08 crashed the server. I can give you the stats and hits if needed.

BBC Breakfast coverage.

The BBC never intended to report the race, they just thought it was a good idea for Declan to tag on and report from the venues on the local economy.

However by the third leg after Declan had met a few competitors, he started talking race boats / results etc.

My memory of Inverness was sharing a room with the throttle man of Cinzano, we saw on BBC Breakfast at 06.05 Eric firing up the engines, Nik said to me - OOPs best I get down there!

Final thought

The coverage was better than nothing -
Old 25-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #15

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Thoughts of a newbie

Have been wanting to have a go since watching my first OCR race at Salcombe last year,unfortunately the economy has drastically affected my income and put paid to 09 season,but I think one of the concerns for me other than the cost is to enter a Basic race and turn up and only find a few other entrants.If pooling resources can help reduce costs both to organiser and entrants then I'm sure lack of entries will improve and make more of a spectical which will appeal to the Teams, Local Authorities/Tourism and gain support from them.I can't believe that with Bob OCRDA offering free Entry/License for the Ilfracombe Basic race on 18/19th July that more 'HAVE A GO NEWBIES' have not entered so it can't all be down to money.The Honda boys/girls do seem to get a good kicking on here but perhaps it time to bury the hatchet and team together .Cheers Nic
PS only an opinion of a newbie
NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #16

I suspect this post applies.

http://www.boatmad.com/forum/showpos...57&postcount=7
Old 25-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #17

Interests: Powerboat racing, Ice hockey and aviation.
Boat name: Vines BMW
Boat make: B23
Engines: Evinrude 115HO
Cruising area: South coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Force View Post
From my perspective I like to race as much as possible, currently Im doing 5 Honda weekends plus the brass monkey and the Cancer, with the busy weekend schedule Honda had last year I had over 30 starts... problem being is that most of the season is compounded and there are only so many weekends you can fix the broken things and test etc....

I would love to come and race at the ORDA /OCR/3c/V24 basics, but its time and commitment, nothing against the organisers who i applaud. I think the answer is coming together and running a full weekend of racing different classes, pooling costs on safety expenses and resources etc..., Plymouth last year I really enjoyed, as we shared the weekend with OCR, 3c and V24 - and it was one of my most enjoyable weekends... finishing racing, so I could actually go and watch some!

Certainly from the Honda calender, location has challenged large /long race formats, Plymouth has been one of the few exceptions where tide, local safety help and a very accomodating QHM has made it easy.

I think (in fact i know) that the honda guys would race more of these events, but they become very focussed on the championship and worried they may break something in a non championship race - in fact thats what happened to me in Plymouth last weekend, i broke something in the Cancer race that was not obvious until plymouth...... and i was slow.. All the best excuses!

Not suprised!!! you gave us a run for our money........
stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #18

Boat name: V13
Boat make: V24 batboat
Engines: 5.7 320hp
Cruising area: SOUTHCOAST

proposed

what is being proposed for next is allready in place now.ORDA and OCR are allready putting on multi class events,and are making a good job of it,even in a recession.If we can tempt the honda fleet to come and play we have then cracked it.We do not need any new group to tell us how to put on events unless they have something new to offer that we have overlooked.
Brian, Chairman ORDA
RHINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
what is being proposed for next is allready in place now.ORDA and OCR are allready putting on multi class events,and are making a good job of it,even in a recession.If we can tempt the honda fleet to come and play we have then cracked it.We do not need any new group to tell us how to put on events unless they have something new to offer that we have overlooked.
Brian, Chairman ORDA
Brian,

Help please!

Get someone to send me through entrants / crew shots / boat shots initially for the BPRC web site and then these will be used for the race programme.

thnks J
Old 25-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #20
Dan
On a roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
If we can tempt the honda fleet to come and play we have then cracked it.We do not need any new group to tell us how to put on events unless they have something new to offer that we have overlooked.
Brian, Chairman ORDA
Just out of interest why does it take Honda to make or break an event? Dont get me wrong after attending the event last weekend they are clearly a well run outfit but are they really the big draw?
Also who are the new group? I would have thought any input from anyone may be worth listening to?
Perhaps a bit of new blood etc is what a sport which from a spectator point of view is on its knees needs, maybe wrong though.

Back to issue, a few years ago in Plymouth we had ski racing, ocr, honda etc all on the same weekend, to anyone who took part in the racing how did it seem to work? Thats more my point, several different races over the same week/weekend, whether it be skiing, ocr, honda etc etc.
Dont mean to ruffle the feathers of anyone so no need to take it that way.