Boatmad.com

Old 17-11-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
CB1

Hotboat Association

and the power it now holds in UK Offshore racing. There you go denise as promised.

CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
CB1

For those of you that are confused please see '' Canopy situation for Class 3''

Old 18-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

I jast ran an event, and would like to comment on the "snout in the food trough" that is Gary and Denise...

Gary truthfully did not do a lot leading up the the event. Denise however did a huge amount of work - including leading me through the paperwork, helping me do risk assesments and lists of what I needed to organise. We had no less that four meetings, two of which Gary was at to help.

Then on the day of the event, Gary was Safety Officer, Denise was Race Secretary and Timekeeper for the event, filling up three of the roles required. They are allowed by RYA rules to claim a fee for this, as well as travel expenses. What they did claim is a steak roll and a beer, as was offered to *all* safety crew and officials as thanks for their help. That was their total payment for their work in putting the event together.

Denise also assisted me by being the person who actually bought the beers that was part of their reward.....
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
CB1

Marc, I am not saying that they dont work hard for the sport. The work very hard. All I want is a direct answer to my direct question.
Old 20-11-2007, 01:40 AM   #5
Large member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1 View Post
and the power it now holds in UK Offshore racing. There you go denise as promised.
Is this the direct question?
Old 20-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
CB1

No Marc, the direct question is. How many racing members, or just how many members does the Hotboat assoc have? At the moment we are up to 3, that's Gary, Denise and their navighator Tony. And guess what, they all have seats on committes of some form or another at the RYA talk about stitch up.
Old 20-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
Large member

Well, we have 34 members, of which 11 are racing members. We have a place on one committee.

How about ORDA? They seem to also have memebers on quite a few committees and also many officials are ORDA members.

I dont think I get the connection though, which is why I may be asking a stupid question. What has the club the person is connected to got to do with the person and the work they do?

Lets just suppose for a minute that Hotboats close this year, and they dont renew for 2008. Then they will probably fall into another club membership. This may be ORDA, or given their racing history, this may be ORCDA, or possibly even the V24 Club, as we would offer free membership to RYA officials who assist on race days organised by the club ( allowed and encoraged as per our founding doucuments ). So lets suppose that they do join the V24 Club in 2008 - Does this mean that the V24 Club is now a powerful club in offshore racing? Just because we would then have them as members, does that change the power structure of our club?

I think - can be corrected here - that the voting rights of a club is directly proportional to the amount of money the club paid each year to the RYA. So ORDA pays about 20 times more than the V24 Club to the RYA, so ORDA has a weighted vote approximately 20 times more than the V24 Club.

I think, and can be corrected here, that ORDA has the most voting power in the RYA vote - I think it accounts for 30% of the offshore vote just by itself.

Obviously this changes, and our club is getting a little bigger, and many people are leaving ORDA, so this % power changes, but the confusion for me is your question as to how the club that the people belong to creates a powerbase for the club?

If this is a stupid question, please explain.
Old 20-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #8

Quite a lot, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verytricky View Post
What has the club the person is connected to got to do with the person and the work they do?
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 03:14 PM   #9

Interests: boats
Boat make: new boat on way
Cruising area: uk

Hotboats Racing Association currently has 39 members none of which are called Tony and that is it no more comment.

The work we do with the RYA has nothing to do with the Hotboats racing Association, we have this year helped any club that has asked in any way we can for the good of the sport and we will continue to do so for 2008.

Gary is at present working because he has to do other things as well!!

We will not enter into any more debate about Hotboats as we are responsible to our members and the RYA period. Hope this clears it up

Regards

Denise
flightracingteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 04:40 PM   #10
I don't do mornings!!

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by verytricky View Post
I think - can be corrected here - that the voting rights of a club is directly proportional to the amount of money the club paid each year to the RYA. So ORDA pays about 20 times more than the V24 Club to the RYA, so ORDA has a weighted vote approximately 20 times more than the V24 Club.
Each club has representation on Clubs & Classes Committee and only one vote for each club on matters discussed. The number of members of the club or the club's financial contribution to RYA has no bearing on their voting power.

On ORC, it is the delegates who have one vote each on matters discussed.
D~OOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
Large member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D~OOD View Post
Each club has representation on Clubs & Classes Committee and only one vote for each club on matters discussed. The number of members of the club or the club's financial contribution to RYA has no bearing on their voting power.

On ORC, it is the delegates who have one vote each on matters discussed.
On the CCM committee I agree, as I am part of that committee, but I do remember some stuff being sent from the RYA explaining our voting rights, and specifying our 'weighting' due to the money we paid to be affiliated, which is a % of the fees the members paid to join the club.
Old 20-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #12

Interests: boats
Boat make: new boat on way
Cruising area: uk

Tricky i think i see your confusion!!!

As an affiliated club to the RYA, you are entitled to One vote for each Pound of your clubs annual payment ( i.e your affiliation fee) This is for the RYA AGM only. That i think is the paperwork you refer to

On voting on ORC each member of that committee has 1 vote, and this is the same for the rest of the committees

Hope this clears it up if not let me know.

Regards

Denise
flightracingteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #13
CB1

Thank you. It wasn't that difficult was it? Take it Gary is away on black ops?
And sorry thats Mike king.
Old 20-11-2007, 10:58 PM   #14
Large member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightracingteam View Post
As an affiliated club to the RYA, you are entitled to One vote for each Pound of your clubs annual payment ( i.e your affiliation fee) This is for the RYA AGM only. That i think is the paperwork you refer to.
Yes, thats the one, I dug through the paperwork to find out what was going on!
Old 21-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #15

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Whether you are or not is not for me to say but, you do all sound like a bunch of boring, pompous asses. I'm sure you are not but that is how you come across here and if I was new to powerboat racing, which I am not having done it since 1980, I would be thinking seriously about doing something else after reading the above. Just a comment, constructive I hope.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #16

[
Quote:
QUOTE=OldMan;120793]Whether you are or not is not for me to say but, you do all sound like a bunch of boring, pompous asses. I'm sure you are not but that is how you come across here and if I was new to powerboat racing, which I am not having done it since 1980, I would be thinking seriously about doing something else after reading the above. Just a comment, constructive I hope.
ML.
[/QUOTE]

We are new to racing and yes we agree
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #17

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

i have to agree,enough now please, pm each other or why not even pick up that invention called a telephone

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote