Old 17-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Unhappy I wanna go as fast.....

The v24's are similarly powered, except V3.

Any one got any ideas how he got extra legs? Last year my boat was definately faster when Pete Little drove it. The weekends when we shared the boat, I could get 74 on the straits. Now I can not touch 72.

So there is something that you can do to make it 'go faster' - and it is possibly not illegal, as V3 gets checked every race.

At Norway they swapped out my ECU with V1 and I went even better, so it has nothing to do with the ECU as far as I can tell.

And all the components were UV marked so I could see if anything was changed, and apart from an alternator, nothing was swapped out, yet I lost 2 miles....

This pic was the three boats - more or less equally powered, racing off towards the first turn. The wake is V3. Based on the video footage of the event, he reached 74mph by the first mark, whilst the balance of the boats were a consistent 71.5mph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	faster.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	4955  

verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 05:01 PM   #2

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

perhaps some boat owners arent as honest and bend the rules

Old 17-08-2005, 05:34 PM   #3

Props?
Weight? (Fuel on board for example)
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 06:22 PM   #4
CB1

Sorry Trickey, but it's probially the Driver! Give Pete Little a bath tub and you have one of equall power to weight ratio and he'll whop your arse. He is one special Powerboat driver' nothing to do with bending rules. He is the MASTER and has not ben recognised as such. Ask the guy who partnerde him in V class!!
CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 06:22 PM   #5

Also, weight of crew and kit?

Sharpness of chines/spray rails - could V3 have 'blue-printed' his hull?

Have you had any work done on yr props since last year?
John G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 07:12 PM   #6
Large member

When Pete Little and Gavin Brown shared my boat last year, I personally was regularly getting 74 out of the boat but only if I took the boat out directly after they had raced it. If I was at an event where we did not share the boat I was getting 72.

No questions Pete is way better than me. I was never comparing Petes times to my times. I was comparing my times to my times - when the boat was prepared for me to race, or when the boat was prepared for Pete and I to share the race weekend.

In an effort to determine what was changing, I UV marked all components to see if anything changed, and apart from an alternator, nothing changed on the boat.

I even had the oil analysed after each race to see if there was anything special there.

Everyone assumed the ECU was dodgy, yet when it was swapped out, in Norway, the boat performed just as well.

FWIW, prop testing in the solent with Pete and myself we obtained almost exactly the same top speeds. He however does not slow for the corners.....

I still have the original - unchanged - prop set used by Pete in the Europeans. This was the fastest set. I have since moved a second set to be faster than this set, by about .5 of a mile in calm conditions. ( in rough conditions make no difference in the prop really.)

Weight: I weigh 100kg, but my navigator weighs 40! so Our combined weight is about the same as the driver of V16! I dont think weight ( at least 50 kg or so ) makes much of a difference in the class. And not 5%!

I do not claim that anyone is cheating - definately not!

There was plenty of that last year, and it was obvious. I am after something more subtle - something that is a little trick or trap that would put 4% more into the boat.

Pete was scrutineered very tightly last year. Volvo even came to one event with their techies ( @ Sweden ) and tested the boat. It passed as clean by the Volvo factory techs.

But - it was faster than any other boat - even with me driving it. I was even faster that Ricky Hill - and you know what that says.

I took the boat home from Sweden, had the usual 'service' and when I ran it at the next event, the speed had gone again.

It seems like that if Pete was going to drive it went fast. If he was not it went slowly. The speed increase also worked for me. If it went fast for Pete, it went fast for me - provided it was the same weekend!

Could it be something like spark plug gaps? The spark plugs stayed the same - I UV marked them - but they could have been regapped?

Something to do with the distributor. It was removed and replaced after each race, but not swapped out.

Or the altenator? Could that have an impact?

Something simple we are missing - I was hoping you could help me find it!!
Old 17-08-2005, 07:25 PM   #7

Boat make: Cyclone/ Cyclone/Rinker
Engines: Merc 2.5 efi's/300XS/5.0 v8

Air density ????
Wacky Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2005, 11:44 PM   #8
Large member

I am after something 'special' something like spark plug gaps or using rain-x on the bottom of the boat. There is definately something - and the something works. I want to know the something.

There are several old racers here - several record holders as well. There is a load of knowledge. There is an unanswered question - I have eliminated the obvious. Now I am looking for something else.

If some people are going to make this a cheating hunt, or a pisstake, then I will not bother...
Old 18-08-2005, 07:14 PM   #9
CB1

Serious answer to a serious question.

Have you asked Pete Little?
Old 18-08-2005, 07:15 PM   #10
CB1

Or as our Italian brothers know him - Little Peter!!!