Boatmad.com

Old 22-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #1

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

New British Race Boat Coming.

Because of the popularity that Marathon Racing is beginning to enjoy I have over the last few months been asked many times if there is such a thing as a British Powerboat that could be used solely for racing.

After talking about this to Mike Ring in some detail he has decided to take the Bull by the Horns and build a 34ft mono hull that will be a competitive and dedicated race boat for both Marathon and P1. The boat is presently under construction and will be on the water running by February/March in a RIB format with a “Hard Boat” version later in the spring/early summer.

Of course you have Revenger etc etc but this boat will be VERY competitively priced and considerably cheaper than other such boats that are designed for both leisure and racing. Mike’s boat is being designed purely for racing in a similar fashion to Swipewipes.

I think this is great news for those wanting to go racing in these two versions of our sport particularly in Marathon and it takes a brave man like Mike to do this with no orders for such in the pipeline, just purely because he, I and others, believe that the sport needs such an animal especially with Marathon racing growing, Cowes next year and of course 2012 on the horizon.

More information shortly.
ML.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
Because of the popularity that Marathon Racing is beginning to enjoy I have over the last few months been asked many times if there is such a thing as a British Powerboat that could be used solely for racing.

After talking about this to Mike Ring in some detail he has decided to take the Bull by the Horns and build a 34ft mono hull that will be a competitive and dedicated race boat for both Marathon and P1. The boat is presently under construction and will be on the water running by February/March in a RIB format with a “Hard Boat” version later in the spring/early summer.

Of course you have Revenger etc etc but this boat will be VERY competitively priced and considerably cheaper than other such boats that are designed for both leisure and racing. Mike’s boat is being designed purely for racing in a similar fashion to Swipewipes.

I think this is great news for those wanting to go racing in these two versions of our sport particularly in Marathon and it takes a brave man like Mike to do this with no orders for such in the pipeline, just purely because he, I and others, believe that the sport needs such an animal especially with Marathon racing growing, Cowes next year and of course 2012 on the horizon.

ML.

This is really great news especially for the new starters/ and the young who will not afford the pricing of other professional race boat.

Also if he is targeting P1 , one suggestion , make it at least 36-38 ft or you won't be competitive.

Keep us updated,
Good Luck
Thanks and Cheers,
Rob.

ufix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #3

Interests: Petrolhead
Boat name: Wayne Kerr
Boat make: Phantom xl
Engines: Mercury 2.5, 200(ish)
Cruising area: Essex, Hampshire, Mediterranean

Good to hear this, well done Mike.
Wayne Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #4

Interests: Heavy Heavy Metal
Boat name: Slayer II, Slayer, Pen15
Boat make: Phantom 19G-R, Bernico F2 Extreme, Ring 15
Engines: Evinrude 115HO, Yam 90
Cruising area: Channel Islands

Sounds good! Are there any concept drawings yet?
Paul E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #5

a 34 won't even start in P1 - you need at least a 38, past results indicate that the bigger boats have a clear advantage
boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat View Post
a 34 won't even start in P1 - you need at least a 38, past results indicate that the bigger boats have a clear advantage
So who is boat.... mmmmm

However will agree with boat.

But what do i know.......
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #7

Interests: Powerboats and Rugby
Boat name: C96 Fast Air
Boat make: Ocke Mannerfelt B-23
Engines: Mercury 200XS
Cruising area: Channel Islands

Quote:

ML.

great news Mike, the effort you put into the sport is brilliant, a real credit to you

and mike ring - what a legend to just spin round and make a marathon boat, cheers mike!!
Big V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E View Post
Sounds good! Are there any concept drawings yet?
Only hand drawn so far but looking to get something professional done to show in the near future. Pics of boat being built will also come shortly.

Re comments on P1, of course Mike is aware and that will come later. The Marathon project is the priority.
ML.
Old 23-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Mike Ring eh!

I thought he'd retired, in about 1970.

Mr Ring Sir, I was hoping to get down today to drink all your tea (and eat all your biscuits), but won't be able to, so hopefully middle of next week now. unless you're there tomorrow?

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #10

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Well Done Mike agree with others takes some b%lls to commit costs to building a new bespoke race boat in affluent times let alone in these uncertain times, always thought a kind of Buzzi bullet boat was not a bad idea as I believe the tubes fit over a rail and it would therefore not be to hard to have a hard boat version as Buzzi did

Was going to post last night about the 34 being a bit short for P1 but then I thought no Mike's been around boats and racing for like ever so he would know all this anyway and things in the boaty world don't always follow ... take the Buzzi/Bumsqueeker XS2000 the hull is only 33' with 6' of trimax drive and this boat has proved it's mark in rough condition's numerous times including the Cowes event some years back and a well setup balanced smaller boat can see off a bigger rival in the rough most times and even in this years P1 the real winner was the Donzi 38' quicker round the turns and faster against the bigger Malta 41' boat and next year apparently it's all change for Supper sport with what looks like perhaps a final lifting of the ridiculous in racing speed restrictions

Perhaps Cookie may reconsider all the costs in building his own project racer and look at yours may be a good alternative option
Old 23-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
apparently it's all change for Supper sport
Is that a new Dining class?

I know a good few possible competitors for that.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 23-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #12

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Can't help it the weekend is coming and that means foooood Friday curry night Sunday Fish and chip night ye pee
Old 23-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #13

Didnt "Rainman" have a dining fixture like that?

Best of luck with the project Mike.
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #14
Trade Member

Interests: Anything powered on wheels, water or air
Boat name: OVERLORD
Boat make: RING 34' SPORTSBOAT 2 X V8 PETROL
Engines: 2 x 320 MERCRUISER B1
Cruising area: South coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Mike Ring eh!

I thought he'd retired, in about 1970.

Mr Ring Sir, I was hoping to get down today to drink all your tea (and eat all your biscuits), but won't be able to, so hopefully middle of next week now. unless you're there tomorrow?
F'coff . Gingemeister !

I bet Mr Baker put you up for a visit to Ring Towers just to be an industrial spy!!!

Se you next week.

Mike

Neglect not thy opportunities
Mike Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #15
Trade Member

Interests: Anything powered on wheels, water or air
Boat name: OVERLORD
Boat make: RING 34' SPORTSBOAT 2 X V8 PETROL
Engines: 2 x 320 MERCRUISER B1
Cruising area: South coast

Quote:
Well Done Mike agree with others takes some b%lls to commit costs to building a new bespoke race boat in affluent times let alone in these uncertain times, always thought a kind of Buzzi bullet boat was not a bad idea as I believe the tubes fit over a rail and it would therefore not be to hard to have a hard boat version as Buzzi did

Was going to post last night about the 34 being a bit short for P1 but then I thought no Mike's been around boats and racing for like ever so he would know all this anyway and things in the boaty world don't always follow ... take the Buzzi/Bumsqueeker XS2000 the hull is only 33' with 6' of trimax drive and this boat has proved it's mark in rough condition's numerous times including the Cowes event some years back and a well setup balanced smaller boat can see off a bigger rival in the rough most times and even in this years P1 the real winner was the Donzi 38' quicker round the turns and faster against the bigger Malta 41' boat and next year apparently it's all change for Supper sport with what looks like perhaps a final lifting of the ridiculous in racing speed restrictions

Perhaps Cookie may reconsider all the costs in building his own project racer and look at yours may be a good alternative option
Quite so, C,fun

If you delete all the appendages and hangons and the 'Clipper' bow and other parts that do nothing hydrodynamically .. what length of boat do you start with ?
The prime mover was to have a boat suitable for Marathon , a real roughwater deep but slim design and if possible to fit other classes as well
ie. Supersport and being over 33' it will. Apart from that hull I have a 40'+ design all I need is someone elses money for that one to be developed into Evolution class !

Mike

Neglect not thy opportunities
Mike Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #16
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ring View Post
F'coff . Gingemeister !

I bet Mr Baker put you up for a visit to Ring Towers just to be an industrial spy!!!

Se you next week.

Mike

Rumbled, the dirty, unoriginal oul splasher wanted me to bring some wax & materials along to 'nick' a quick copy while you were making the tea. He's not the type to be trusted, as you well know.

My grandad used to use that funny steralised milk stuff that you use, reckon you two must be from the same era.

How would Thursday be?

Make sure you have a plentiful supply of NICE and Milk Chocolate Digestives in stock! (and real milk), as I have a tendency to 'graze'. 'Tubbs' Davis reckons he might come along.

Old 24-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #17
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:

Nope!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #18
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Nope!
Are we gonna see some progress pics?

Old 24-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Are we gonna see some progress pics?
I'll post some tomorrow!
ML.
Old 24-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #20
numbskull

Quote:
I'll post some tomorrow!
ML.
I meant of Cookee's boat you oul teapot! That's why I quoted him.

I have the pics from Mike, AKA 'Mr Permatan'.